• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New - Want to buy a Tarantula in spite.

Iputtie

3 Year Member
Hello there, I want like to buy a Tarantula in spite! Because, I'd think it'd be cool to see "someone" freak out. Relax, I'm not buying a tarantula out of the blue thinking I can just get one, put it in a cage and play with it all day, and expect it to go smoothly.
I want to find a good specie(s), good cage, best "set-up", what to do in rare cases, and make this thing last for it's max number of years it can live for!

Species Ideal for my preferences:
Goliath Bird Eating Tarantula
Mexican Redknee Tarantula

Only two species but I'm a sucker for Big tarantulas.

I'd just like more info on which, handling, etc.

EDIT: Will be using http://www.backwaterreptiles.com/ to get my tarantulas if there's a better site to purchase/store I'd be happy to know!

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello there, I want like to buy a Tarantula in spite! Because, I'd think it'd be cool to see "someone" freak out. Relax, I'm not buying a tarantula out of the blue thinking I can just get one, put it in a cage and play with it all day, and expect it to go smoothly.
I want to find a good specie(s), good cage, best "set-up", what to do in rare cases, and make this thing last for it's max number of years it can live for!

Species Ideal for my preferences:
Goliath Bird Eating Tarantula
Mexican Redknee Tarantula

Only two species but I'm a sucker for Big tarantulas.

I'd just like more info on which, handling, etc.

EDIT: Will be using http://www.backwaterreptiles.com/ to get my tarantulas if there's a better site to purchase/store I'd be happy to know!
Why would you want to do this? It's a living animal.
Well first off T.blondi (Goliath birdeaters) are very rarely available in the hobby and are extremely difficult to keep alive. Most that you will see are really T.stirmi being sold as T.blondi. Theraphosa in general are considered an advanced genus, because they can be difficult to keep alive in addition to being defensive. They're urticating hairs are among the most painful of any tarantula and Will kick them at the slightest disturbance. Therefore handling is a no-no.

Iputtie

3 Year Member
The more I know, the more that helps. I'm a very energetic person so every now and then (even if I get a few hairs on me) I'd still like to handle them. I heard Goliath can be very difficult to work with, which is why I'm also looking at the Mexican Redknee which from what I heard could last very long, and is a bit easier to take care of. Being marked as good for beginner tarantula pet takers.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
If you really want a large tarantula, you'd be better off getting a Lasiodora parahybana (Brazilian salmon pink birdeater). They are very easy to rear, great feeders and very fast growers reaching around 8" dls although they can get bigger. They also kick hairs that can be painful though.

Handling Ts is not recommended as they are easily startled and a jump or fall can seriously injure or even kill them.

I think there is a thread somewhere saying Backwater are not a good place to buy but I believe Jamie's Tarantulas are good. Sorry I'm in the UK so if I'm wrong I apologise.

Iputtie

3 Year Member
I looked it up, and yes. They can be bigger but if I'm going for size, I'll be most worried about, ordering one then it doesn't grow up as big. But I don't know the lifespan, if it's extremely docile etc. But I am a sucker for big...

As for the website, Jamie's Tarantulas might not be good? Because I'm in the U.S. And I don't "like" the template/format it uses.

Iputtie

3 Year Member
Good feedback is better than bad feedback obviously so yea... but, is the Lasiodora parahybana good for beginners, and I only want to handle for like show and tell which is very few times...

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The Lasiodora parahybana are fine for a beginner as long as you're aware that they do flick painful hairs when stressed. If you really feel the need to handle then please make sure that the T can't fall far and preferably onto something soft.

Iputtie

3 Year Member
Falling is not a problem I'm sure (least-worried) But I'll be worried about them falling if let's say they can haul ass really fast then they just fall off the bed onto wooden floor then, I'll be worried...

For the hair flicking I think I can handle it....... I can't promise I'll be able to keep it "not stressed" but I heard they can hurt, but to get them out just use some tape to get it out. I'm just worried that they'll be stuck in my skin.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
For the hair flicking I think I can handle it....... I can't promise I'll be able to keep it "not stressed" but I heard they can hurt, but to get them out just use some tape to get it out. I'm just worried that they'll be stuck in my skin.

Yes, I keep a roll of tape handy to pull the hairs out but you can also take an anti-allergy tablet that contains chlorpheniramine maleate Ph.Eur. 4mg or use an anti-histamine cream.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If you want to handle a tarantula, I suggest you get a slow, docile species. L parahybana are not known for being either slow, or docile. In fact I have an 8 1/2 Lp with 3/4 inch fangs that has shown me some remarkable speed for such a large and heavy bodied tarantula. I would suggest you research the spider you eventually are going to buy, there's lots of great information out there on almost every species in the hobby.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
If you want to handle a tarantula, I suggest you get a slow, docile species. L parahybana are not known for being either slow, or docile. In fact I have an 8 1/2 Lp with 3/4 inch fangs that has shown me some remarkable speed for such a large and heavy bodied tarantula. I would suggest you research the spider you eventually are going to buy, there's lots of great information out there on almost every species in the hobby.

I'd only suggested the LP as Iputtie was talking of getting a much more difficult Goliath Bird Eater as he wanted a big T.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I know Enn, and in my opinion you were correct :) But he seems intent on handling..and to be honest seems uninformed about the potential of a handling situation going very wrong, so I felt I had to say something. I'm going to go ahead and say what I was thinking when I read the post..@lputtie not trying to talk down to you, but a few of your comments are concerning..not being able to insure the tarantula isn't stressed, not worried about falls, and buying a tarantula out of spite, all of these things point to you thinking of spiders as toys, or objects..maybe you should rethink your attitude towards these living things? Your comments are a bit blase towards animals you seem to know very little about, and have no experience with at all..just my opinion, no offense intended.

Iputtie

3 Year Member
Ok good. I didn't realize that the Lasiodora parahybana could be as fast as you say it could (wasn't told until you pointed it out), but nature has it's surprises as always. But like I said, I don't intent to handle the tarantula everday but just for show and tell, which I hope will only be once every now, and then which is normal from what I understand. I could understand how you'd believe, I think tarantulas are essentially a stuffed animal or a extatic puppy. That's also why I came to a forum specifically on tarantulas to learn more, but nonetheless I'm also learning on Google/Youtube... But I feel as if I'm not buying a tarantula in spite as of now... Now that I think of it, I'd think it'd be really cool to own one but not in spite, but to own it and make it last...

I made this thread so I can choose a tarantula to get... I also made this thread because, there are many factors that I'd like to have a discussion with... Like, how long does this tarantula last, how big of a terrarium, what type of gravel, what food, is it docile, is it fast... Many factors.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I would suggest the B smithi then, that you originally mentioned. They're beautiful, mostly docile, and usually slow moving. They get to 6 inches in size, and are very impressive to look at. Be aware though, all spiders are individuals. It's a mostly docile species, but you could get a bitey one, it's not unheard of. There are actually many Brachypelma species to choose from, and Grammastola as well. I would look through lists of tarantulas at the dealers and just search each one of the ones that interest you for care tips and information on size, temperament, all that good stuff.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That would be wise, but question... Why can't I start out with a straight up Theraphosa blondi?
You can, but I would suggest a lot of reading first..research T blondie care, you'll see what I mean. It is definitely not a starter spider. But that doesn't mean you couldn't get one and raise it properly and keep it healthy. It just depends on you, and your skills in research, and how well you comprehend what you read.;) It would be an expensive spider to lose through improper care, and you did say you wanted to get a large species, fully grown if I remember correctly. You're looking at spending some money on a grown female T blondie, if you can even find one for sale. You'd be better off looking for a T stirmi, which is basically the same animal, but with slightly less demanding needs, and better survivability in captivity. A male would die soon after maturity, so you'll be looking for a female that will live for years. The difference in appearance of these two species is that the blondie has longer hairs on it's patellas than the stirmi, and that's it.:)

Iputtie

3 Year Member
For T blondie/T stirmi care all you'd really have to do is get a big terrarium, fill it up nicely etc, get a petri dish for water, get a heat mat?... etc. etc. etc. then feed it every week?

It would be easy right? Because I obviously won't handle my Theraphosa, feed them once a week and let them be?...