• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New True Spiders

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
As for having allergic reaction to tarantula venom,may I put a hypothesis forward that is so simple and has been overlooked. You can't get an allergic reaction from a tarantulas venom, what about whats attached to the fangs outside which pierces the skin ? Meaning,something it digested or got in contact prior to biting you that conflicts with your own body ? Say a feeder,it has been brought up on say bananas and that means that feeders juices contain banana traces(person has an allergic reaction to bananas)doesn't seem significant but take into consideration the epidermis and even deeper gets pierced with those trace amounts and directly enters the blood stream what now ? Or a microscopic bug,or virus your body will fight it off or try while you think you're having an allergic reaction your immune system is having a war. This is firstly a hypothesis,and secondly an example using the banana so take it for what it is.

Last edited:

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm almost always ready to drop info on some tarantula topic, haha enjoy.
Wow. Rob C is not your average human either! I did see on another Youtube post that Fringed Ornamental was ranked as the 9th most deadliest spider. I doubt it as there are approximately 37 species of true spiders that have been known to kill. But this proves they are nothing to take lightly. Mine is about 6" now.

Yet another reason why I do not handle any of my spiders!

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Wow. Rob C is not your average human either! I did see on another Youtube post that Fringed Ornamental was ranked as the 9th most deadliest spider. I doubt it as there are approximately 37 species of true spiders that have been known to kill. But this proves they are nothing to take lightly. Mine is about 6" now.

Yet another reason why I do not handle any of my spiders!

I hope that helped,I'm always trying to post actual accounts like the above. That P.ornata was a doozy,10inches of pure bite power.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
As for having allergic reaction to tarantula venom,may I put a hypothesis forward that is so simple and has been overlooked. You can't get an allergic reaction from a tarantulas venom, what about whats attached to the fangs outside which pierces the skin ? Meaning,something it digested or got in contact prior to biting you that conflicts with your own body ? Say a feeder,it has been brought up on say bananas and that means that feeders juices contain banana traces(person has an allergic reaction to bananas)doesn't seem significant but take into consideration the epidermis and even deeper gets pierced with those trace amounts and directly enters the blood stream what now ? Or a microscopic bug,or virus your body will fight it off or try while you think you're having an allergic reaction your immune system is having a war. This is firstly a hypothesis,and secondly an example using the banana so take it for what it is.
This certainly could be possible?! Although I do not agree that you cannot get an allergic reaction from T venom. There venom chemistry is not made up differently from bees/ants venom, and if you are allergic to bees there is no reason to think you would be allergic to T venom (being different). But I do think that any venom can create an allergic reaction based on one's allergic propensity. But now you are really going to mess with those scientists that thought they had this figured out! :oops:

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My hypothesis is simple,either a natural agent from a feeder which the body has a propensity to have an allergic reaction to. The other side,a bug/virus which its fighting off. One must take into consideration when ones body detects a foreign thing,one of the reactions to it is nausea vomiting fever etc. These are signs of the immune systems war against the foreign object. So I will strongly believe its possible,its like stabbing yourself with an epidermic needle which isn't sterile because that's all a fang is natural epidermic needle. As for allergic, the large proteins needed to cause an allergic reaction/Anaphylactic shock isn't or hasn't been found present so far in tarantula venom. So till its found,there is no data to prove otherwise. Where tests have been done with T venom,we will see what the future holds.

Latest posts