• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My tarantula eats in her cave and I don’t know how to clean it

Akkai

My Brachypelma hamorii decided to eat in her cave. Everytime I feed her she goes to her cave and I can’t pick up the lefts cuz she has barricaded herself and made spiderwebs. What should I do? Should I move the cave to pick up the lefts?

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My Brachypelma hamorii decided to eat in her cave. Everytime I feed her she goes to her cave and I can’t pick up the lefts cuz she has barricaded herself and made spiderwebs. What should I do? Should I move the cave to pick up the lefts?

Tarantulas will clean their own burrows and toss out the debris. It will be a webbed ball of substrate containing all the unwanted stuff. Most of the time they will toss this in the water bowl or as far as possible from the entrance. I never worry about what goes on in the burrow.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have a few T's that eat in there burrows and I am unable to get to the leftover boluses so I have springtails or isopods in there enclosures that clean up the leftovers for me... Have you tried springtails or isopods?
Springtails and isopods are great for cleaning up but with a arid species like Brachypelma they are hard to keep alive with the dry substrate.

Papaya

Tarantulas will clean their own burrows and toss out the debris. It will be a webbed ball of substrate containing all the unwanted stuff. Most of the time they will toss this in the water bowl or as far as possible from the entrance. I never worry about what goes on in the burrow.

I just found an uneaten superworm in my B Smithis water dish. Interesting

Heretic

I have never seen my 3" H. Pulchripes eat. I toss stuff at the mouth of her cave and it never comes out. I have a Ring Cam alert me to her coming out of her cave at 11pm-3am. That's about it. Now watched my sling eat a wax worm on top of its web..well ate 1/2 of it so I removed the uneaten part the next day.

Stretch

I have never seen my 3" H. Pulchripes eat. I toss stuff at the mouth of her cave and it never comes out. I have a Ring Cam alert me to her coming out of her cave at 11pm-3am. That's about it. Now watched my sling eat a wax worm on top of its web..well ate 1/2 of it so I removed the uneaten part the next day.
Do you think it could be getting ready for a molt? I know my T's will go what seems to be months before eating. Then one day I'll find a molt. Also, some T's just won't eat for long periods. It's just what they do.

Heretic

Do you think it could be getting ready for a molt? I know my T's will go what seems to be months before eating. Then one day I'll find a molt. Also, some T's just won't eat for long periods. It's just what they do.
yes I do think its in pre-molt but I still offer food every week.

Latest posts