• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Moving on from beginner species?

Avicularia Kael

I started with a curly sling. I then got a Avic avic at a monthly reptile show. At the next show I got a Ceratogyrus darlingi, which I would recommend as a starter old world. She can be very skittish and defensive but she is calmer than some other old worlds. After I got her, I got an adult curly (the sling died). Then a Chilobrachys huahini juvenile. My avic died so I got a new one.

smallbike

3 Year Member

spodermin

I have a heart condition, so I may hold off on OW for now until I’m more experienced. I didn’t realize their venom was so potent !!

Heart condition is an exception, although there are still more dangerous things in life. When you feel you're ready and want to enough to endure the risk, do it. Old worlds are seriously half the fun of owning T's imo.

New worlds still have some honorable mentions tho, namely the giants like Theraphosa and Lasiodora or the classics like Brachypelma and Grammostola

If you can raise a Phormictopus from sling to adult you're more than ready for old world. That is a great litmus test

Avicularia Kael

Wow, what a pretty spider!

I doubt I'll ever get into old world spiders - I really have very little interest in keeping something that could send me to the hospital. But man, some of them are truly beautiful creatures.
P. irminia are new world. They just act like old worlds.

smallbike

3 Year Member
Is your cat a fricken tiger!? o_O

He was a big orange cat, so kinda ;)

He and his nemesis were trying to fight through a sliding glass door, and they woke me up yowling and hissing. In my half asleep state I thought it was a good idea to move my cat away from the door, and he went bobcat-wild on me. No stitches, just an extremely painful “irrigation” of the wound which filled my hand with water like a balloon in the ER. He was normally a super sweet cat, and he knew he messed up - he didn’t even beg for food for almost a month!

Another time I ended up in the ER from a pet was in middle school when we took in a stray dog (it was snowing) and it attacked my normally badass MF cat (a cow cat named Onion, lol). She jumped on my head to get away, and the dog grabbed her by the tail, causing her to dig her claws into my scalp, hanging on for dear life. I got the dog off of us, she jumped straight from my head to the curtains, and I threw the dog out the front door like he was getting kicked out of a bar. That one was 3 stitches in my scalp, but the cat lived til I was in grad school, so I’d say it was worth it.