• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

LP sling not eating

swimbait

3 Year Member
I was gonna say pre-molt til you said it ate the dead cricket, although it's still possible its going to molt soon. I have had T's eat a day before molting... Looks pretty dark of a sling to me, I'd put a bottle cap in there for a waterbowl if I was you.

Meludox

3 Year Member
I was gonna say pre-molt til you said it ate the dead cricket, although it's still possible its going to molt soon. I have had T's eat a day before molting... Looks pretty dark of a sling to me, I'd put a bottle cap in there for a waterbowl if I was you.
Do you think it's in pre-molt? I figured the abdomen would be darker and maybe larger yet but I don't know. I'll put a water bowl in. For my 3/4" and smaller slings I usually just misted the sides of the enclosure for water.

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've had small slings eat literally the day before they molt.
Same, my LP ate 2 days before it molted.
When I got it at 1/4" it would run away from any live prey, too, but once it was settled it would take pre-killed. Once it reached about just under 1/2" it started taking down small crickets and/or roaches and now at just under 1" tackles prey like a Rugby pro, lol.
As for hiding, although it was always provided with something to hide under and substrate easy for digging in, it never bothered with it and just sits out in the open. I hope this will continue until old age, fingers crossed.

corij

3 Year Member
Tried it. I'll usually put two in but she runs from even those.
2 ! im suprised she can find them. when my sling was tiny [1/4 inch] i used to bang the fruit fly container lid to dislodge a dozen or more at a time into the LP tank . far as i know fruit flies wont eat a sling . my sling lived below the dirt surface for the first 3 months of life with a blow hole to catch the flies than ran over it.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Fruit flies won't harm a sling. You could try them, although personally I find them to be a pain to deal with.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Agree with @Chubbs i did the fruit flies for a day or 2 and they're a pain to deal with. I didn't want to drop a dozen or more in the sling enclosure lol and it was almost impossible to just get a few. Might have to try them again though as the rosea runs from everything now, but her butt is really dark so maybe she's going into premolt, she just made a burrow yesterday :)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The simplest way to feed tiny slings is to cut up bits of superworm for them. I've never had one refuse it. Easy peazy, but you have to go back 2 days later and get the bolus, the tiny ones can only eat so much.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The simplest way to feed tiny slings is to cut up bits of superworm for them. I've never had one refuse it. Easy peazy, but you have to go back 2 days later and get the bolus, the tiny ones can only eat so much.
I'll have to try that. Wonder if meal worms would work the same? I'd have to order super worms online and no point in that just for a single sling :) I can get meal worms at the lps.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
mealworms work fine :p plus you can stick their container in the fridge to keep them from turning into beetles!
DON'T put superworms in the fridge lol!
that's only provided you have superworms and not giant mealworms.
Supers will die in the fridge-giants won't.

I have issues with giants as they have been treated to prevent them molting into beetles, thereby giving them size, I don't want my T's eating that.

Last edited:

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
mealworms work fine :p plus you can stick their container in the fridge to keep them from turning into beetles!
DON'T put superworms in the fridge lol!
that's only provided you have superworms and not giant mealworms.
Supers will die in the fridge-giants won't.

I have issues with giants as they have been treated to prevent them molting, thereby giving them size, I don't want my T's eating that.
I wouldn't either. The ones here will turn into beetles. It was the first food we tried to give the GBB when she was new. Most turned into beetles because we didn't know to put them in the fridge.

I'll have to cut one in half and see if the rosea will eat that.