• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

LP sling not eating

Meludox

3 Year Member
I'm not worried about the sling starving. I am just annoyed that it's not eating. As far as I am aware it is not in pre-molt; abdomen is a normal size and not darkening at all. It's eaten a few small mealworms here and there since I got it a few weeks ago but now it's been 8 days and it refuses to eat anything I offer. Mealworms, fruit flies, crickets, or roaches. It just runs away from everything.

I guess this is more of a rant then a question. o_O

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
sounds like my G. rosea. It ate a prekiled pinhead lateralis the day we got it and nothing since. It's abdomen is really dark but doesn't show any other signs of premolt.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm not worried about the sling starving. I am just annoyed that it's not eating. As far as I am aware it is not in pre-molt; abdomen is a normal size and not darkening at all. It's eaten a few small mealworms here and there since I got it a few weeks ago but now it's been 8 days and it refuses to eat anything I offer. Mealworms, fruit flies, crickets, or roaches. It just runs away from everything.

I guess this is more of a rant then a question. o_O
Try again in 3 days. Sling or not, it's an Lp, it will eat. Sometimes even slings are just not hungry :) As long as the abdomen is healthy, and she has water, she's fine. You'll find it much less frustrating after witnessing unusual behavior more. They're just weird sometimes, don't stress on your babies so much momma ;)

Noobmatus

3 Year Member
I know the feeling my little lp has been off feed for the past seven days though I do believe the culprit is in premolt

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
sounds like my G. rosea. It ate a prekiled pinhead lateralis the day we got it and nothing since. It's abdomen is really dark but doesn't show any other signs of premolt.
G.rosea typically don't have the best appetites anyway, so it's pretty normal for them [emoji14]

OP I understand you're just venting but at the same time, as you're aware, nature does not always work at our convenience.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
how big is the sling? i'm wondering if I'll have to do the same with my sling when i get it.

rénee

3 Year Member
My Avic sling didn't eat for about 2.5 weeks when i brought it home, but now the little thing is just a monster. I use prekilled mealworms cause it doesn't seem bothered by crickets, it usually has to sit for a good 24 hours before it even considers feasting away.

Meludox

3 Year Member
Already have one. I had the burrow under the cork but she filled it up.
IMG_2312.JPG

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tried it. I'll usually put two in but she runs from even those.
You have too much open space in there, I'd give it something more to hide under. LP's are opportunistic burrowers, some prefer not to dig deep burrows. It looks like it's perfectly healthy to me so as long as there is water available at all times, then it'll be fine.

Latest posts