• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Lifeless T

Pat Kerrigan

3 Year Member
Hey folks my B.Boehmi has been utterly lifeless for the past week or so and i'm at a total loss here. I have tried asking one of my friends who's been keeping t's for many years and he has drawn a blank. He says he's never seen behaviour like it. Basically she is just sitting there and looks like she's dead but when i touch her she moves her legs ever so slightly so there is a tiny bit of life in her. She hasn't moved from the same spot since this started. The day before it happened she was chasing crickets around and was her usual self then within a matter of hours this happened. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Kind regards,
Pat

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Did she eat any crickets before this? How big is she and is her abdomen plump or does it look shrivelled? Might help if you can get a picture on without upsetting her.

torstrum

3 Year Member
Since I got my B. Smithi he has pretty much only moved to eat, I had the same concern early on, but they move when they want to. Keep an eye on him and every now and again you'll be able to catch em moving around, but brachypelma are big pet rocks :D

Pat Kerrigan

3 Year Member
She had her fifth shed from sling about a week before so she is around 2 inches. Her abdomen is not shrivelled but definately not full either. As for her legs they are kinda curled but as i said she barely moves when i touch her. Its a massive difference in her before she was very active and when i opened her tub i had to keep a close eye out because she was fast. She ate about a day before this happened i just moved her from microcrix onto small browns and she took one with gusto. to be honest she looks dead but then i get the smallest amount of movement possible when i touch her.

Pat Kerrigan

3 Year Member
2273-9b50eb2a4a601e283597ecd2fb6b20b8.jpg
sorry for the poor picture quality its off my phone but she has been sitting in that spot for the past week or so. thats a piece of damp cotton wool under her in case she is thirsty. I've even tried killing a crick and placing it under her but no interest whatsoever

Attachments

• Charlotte 1.jpg
    Charlotte 1.jpg
    409.9 KB · Views: 43

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Get rid of the wool, all that can do is hurt her. a shallow water bowl is fine, otherwise she looks fine.

Kurt Nelson

3 Year Member
Two things, tarantulas can't suck water from things. So giving it anything but a water bowl or misting regularly is a no no. Many people are against tong feeding, but I see no harm in grabbing the cricket or dubia or whatever by the leg and rubbing the cricket on your T's leg. If it doesn't want to eat it wont eat. I wouldn't bother your T too much, if it doesn't look like its in a curl I wouldn't worry.

To be honest the only way I know that my LP is alive, is by the direction it's looking. It hardly ever moves.

As long as your T looks healthy it probably is. But stick a water bowl in there to be safe. She only molted what? 2 weeks ago? It could still be hardening.

As for the cricket not moving, t's are scavengers. If they are hungry and there is a dead cricket somewhere, they will find it. None of my slings have problem finding dead chopped up crickets. So I wouldn't worry too much about that.

TheGreatWhiteKoos

3 Year Member
My B.Boehmei is secretly on performance enhancing crickets or something...likes to scurry around its enclosure and performs 180deg turns better than Tony Hawk! Very lively one... and it doesn't simply catch the crickets, it bulldozes them into oblivion

Cobalt

3 Year Member
My B.Boehmei is secretly on performance enhancing crickets or something...likes to scurry around its enclosure and performs 180deg turns better than Tony Hawk! Very lively one... and it doesn't simply catch the crickets, it bulldozes them into oblivion

I never actually saw my Boehmei move...ever

Latest posts