• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Kael's Avicularia avicularia Journal!

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The reason I'm asking is because you posted a picture in the gallery. The one with the Avics hands up....That spider is a Avicularia avicularia morph type 1 (original pinktoe) not morph type 6(Metallica). Just want to make sure there isnt two different spiders here.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Can you take some good pictures of its abdomen...With and without the flash. @CEC is the best at identifying Avicularia sp.
I dont know if they even call them metallicas anymore. I think it's just Avicularia avicularia morph 6. If CEC chimes in he will be able to tell you.

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sorry to hear of your loss Kael. It does happen though, they have hundreds of babies in the hope that at least one will survive to maintain the population, we can't expect them all to survive in captivity. As Enn said, don't let it put you off. There's bound to be a member here that can post you a nice plump sling or juvie, it sounds like you started with a skinny sling that wasn't feeding properly, there may have been little you could have done to change things.

shaun

3 Year Member
How do I identity my avic?
It's definitely a black pinktoe but sometimes it's back appears a reddish brown

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
She refuses food still. She is SO skinny. I am kind of worried.

Are you using an elevated waterdish? They will NOT often go to the ground to drink. You can also try directly guiding him into the waterdish. If it stops and faceplants itself, you've solved the problem. Obviously make sure that the water is not to hot or to cold. If it doesn't work, no harm done. If it wants to walk away, oh well

In my ExoTerra nano enclosure, I literally user a cheap Walmart wine glass as the waterdish. My versicolor can often be seen chilling out by it.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
20170720_030531.jpg
All avics will come to the ground to drink...this female is in a oversized arboreal tank and has no problem finding water. All my adult Avics and versicolors drink from water bowls on the ground.

Elevated water dishes only aide the keeper. When you have a top loading enclosure you dont have to reach to the bottom. I only glue top water dishs for sling/juveniles in enclosures with screw tops like this
20181223_200308.jpg

Regardless where your water dish is it needs to have water in it. They will drink from what ever is available. They will even drink from moss and substrate...they dont have dishes in the wild.;)

Latest posts