• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Im new and need help

laura916

3 Year Member
Also curious, are the tank conditions besides needing to be taller and plants in there, very much more diferent than my Amilia's?
Substrate?
Heat?
Omg.. would i have to stick my hand in there to water it? I just pour from the top for our Amilia, lol
Cleaning it?

laura916

3 Year Member
1 more question.. sorry.. but what are these numbers and stuff next to your tarantula's in your signiture?
"0.0.1 A. avicularia (Karina)
0.0.1 G. rosea (Noelle)
0.0.1 P. murinus (Chaos)
0.0.2 A.versicolor
0.0.1 B.smithi"

^^^^^

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
She's the spider in my picture...there's also a bunch of her in my photo thread. As for care, I keep her in a small exo-terra nano enclosure 8x8x12. I basically keep her substrate moist, allowing it to dry out in between, and keep her water dish full for humidity. Substrate is still eco-earth (coco fibre), and I don't use heat for any of my T's. Ours is very chill, and so I just put my hand in and refill her dish...but if you're not comfortable you could pour it from the top :)

The numbers are number of T's and the order goes M.F.Unsexed :)

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
They are really pretty. They can be fast but it dont neccessarily mean they Will try and run off when you take the lid off. Avics need a tall enclosure so they can climb, mine have got lids with a bit that opens so you can put food in etc without taking the lid off.
Rosies, pulchripes and red knees are all lovely as well.

laura916

3 Year Member
She's the spider in my picture...there's also a bunch of her in my photo thread. As for care, I keep her in a small exo-terra nano enclosure 8x8x12. I basically keep her substrate moist, allowing it to dry out in between, and keep her water dish full for humidity. Substrate is still eco-earth (coco fibre), and I don't use heat for any of my T's. Ours is very chill, and so I just put my hand in and refill her dish...but if you're not comfortable you could pour it from the top :)

The numbers are number of T's and the order goes M.F.Unsexed :)
ok so what exactly does this mean- "0.0.1 A. avicularia (Karina)" I know the name is karina, and i know its an A. Avicularia but what is the 0.0.1? Means you have 1 of that kind right? Your T in your pro pic is beautiful btw

laura916

3 Year Member
They are really pretty. They can be fast but it dont neccessarily mean they Will try and run off when you take the lid off. Avics need a tall enclosure so they can climb, mine have got lids with a bit that opens so you can put food in etc without taking the lid off.
Rosies, pulchripes and red knees are all lovely as well.
Are rosies usually out in the open or do they generally hide most of the time? I heard rosies are nuts. lol

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
ok so what exactly does this mean- "0.0.1 A. avicularia (Karina)" I know the name is karina, and i know its an A. Avicularia but what is the 0.0.1? Means you have 1 of that kind right? Your T in your pro pic is beautiful btw
Yes, it means I have 1 unsexed A.avicularia. If it went 1.0.0 it would mean we had 1 Male. If it was 1.1.1 it would mean 1 Male, 1 Female, 1 Unsexed. Does that make sense? Thanks! We think she's lovely :D

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Are rosies usually out in the open or do they generally hide most of the time? I heard rosies are nuts. lol
Our Rosie kinda goes back and forth between out in the open and in her hide....and ours is pretty crazy lol

laura916

3 Year Member
Ok I think I get it, kind of, lol.. mine would say 0.0.1 B.Amilia
1 unsexed B. Amilia right?
you've been so helpful and patient with me, everyone has, thank you, lol

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ive got 8 Rosies and 1 that lives with a friend whos a teacher so she goes to school and does talks etc she is the loveliest, kindest T ever. She never gets aggressive and she seems to enjoy going to school.
Some of my others are nutbar, Money Spider is really cheeky and Ramases is grumpy. The others are sweet but most of them are out and about and dont really hide much. I find the red knees to be very lazy and out of the 6 i own i hardly ever see three of them. They are so beautiful tho.

laura916

3 Year Member
I went from hating spiders, never would've knowingly allowed one into my home, to buying one, worrying about it and anxiously wanting more, lmao. Still can't touch or handle them though, lol. I don't see that ever happening.

laura916

3 Year Member
Tomorrow will be day 3 of it not coming out of its hideout too. Hasn't eaten or drank anything. It used to come out late evening and climb the glass, then all of a sudden it just barricaded itself under the log and that was it.

laura916

3 Year Member
IMG_20130423_185232-1.jpg
this was the last time we saw it. In its heartshaped spotlight.

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
She Will be back. One of my emilias dont come out much. Its great that you have overcome your phobia tho. A lot of people are terrified of spiders.

laura916

3 Year Member
So we're on day 3 and my B Amilia has not come out of its barricaded hide even for water. Would it be ok for me to knock a little of the substrate down in the back of the hide to take a peek in?

Latest posts