• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I'm having some pretty bad luck..

Atx13

3 Year Member
Not to long ago, my obt died.. not sure what caused it.. no mold, not dehydrated... Was around 2", and had just moulted 3 or 4 days before she died.. Was acting normal one minute, i looked over and she was in a death curl...
Well today, while doing my rounds... and checking on my Ts, everyone was doing fine...
I came home from running some errands to find my little G. pulchripes, and my new B. albopilosum.. both in death curls in their burrows...
So in my previous keeping experience.. I've never had slings die like this... I'm not sure if its me... Where I got the slings from(they all came from the same source...) the feeders... or what... But i'm frustrated with the whole situation, and getting pretty bummed out.
I could understand if my adult tarantulas were dying of old age or whatever, but slings?? I just don't get it. I've never had this problem..
Any advice, suggestions, or anything would be welcomed... Tired of having Ts die on me...
3 in 2 weeks or so, is insane...

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
hm, are you using Peat Moss? some brands have pine in them. Are all the dead slings from the same source? maybe they were using a toxic substance? Maybe you got a bad batch of feeders?

Atx13

3 Year Member
Nope. I made the switch to eco earth, after some folks told me how much safer it is than my all organic peat/vermiculite mix... The 3 slings that died came from the same guy.. I was thinking maybe the crickets were bad.. and sadly EVERYONE of my Ts ate them... I've been watching them closely.. and everyone else seems alright... But so did the 3 slings right up until they were curled up...

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
find a new source of feeder if you can, your adults will probably be ok. They're pretty tough.

Atx13

3 Year Member
about my only option, aside from ordering dubia online... I've never had any problems with the crickets and super worms from my lps... But theres a first time for everything i reckon...
You don't think it could be the person i bought them from? i picked them up at the reptile show in december...

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm so sorry to hear this Atx :( Was there any signs of parasites or anything on the ones you got from the show? Were they kept on wood chips? Any chance of pesticide spraying (are you in an apt?), or exposure to flea medication from a dog or cat? I would err on the safe side for now and maybe switch feeder sources until you can contain or figure out the issue.

Atx13

3 Year Member
The foundation of my house is sprayed bi- monthly to avoid roaches and bed bugs.. but it wouldn't bother my Ts unless they were running wild outside... at least im almost 100% sure thats how the poison works.. Not kept on wood chips, and no parasites... one had a mold spot in her deli, but i don't think mold would take over a month to kill a T... Would it?

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I don't think that a bit of mold would have been an issue...I've read a lot of different accounts of people not even removing mold, but just drying out the environment for awhile until it rights itself. I wish I had more insight for you :( Huge hugs!

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
about my only option, aside from ordering dubia online... I've never had any problems with the crickets and super worms from my lps... But theres a first time for everything i reckon...
You don't think it could be the person i bought them from? i picked them up at the reptile show in december...

It could be. The dealer may have inadvertently poisened them. But to be safe, I'd wait til your LPS got a new shipment of feeder insects in.

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The foundation of my house is sprayed bi- monthly to avoid roaches and bed bugs.. but it wouldn't bother my Ts unless they were running wild outside... at least im almost 100% sure thats how the poison works.. Not kept on wood chips, and no parasites... one had a mold spot in her deli, but i don't think mold would take over a month to kill a T... Would it?
I meant were they previously kept on woodchips? I know you don't currently keep them on that type of substrate. Just wanted to clarify what I said :)

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Oh my God that's terrible, I'm so sorry for you atx. I hope you soon find the cause. Bit odd they came from the same person. I am buying bottled water for my indoor pets now tho as I still believe tap water can harbour germs that may not affect a human but might be dangerous for slings.

Atx13

3 Year Member
Everyone else seems to be alright.. not sure what's going on.. Pretty sure it was some bad feeders, fed the slings different crickets than I did the bigger Ts.. only thing I can think of.. gonna switch to dubia from here on out..

Atx13

3 Year Member
Seems the problem was the source of the slings.. Not the feeders nor how I was keeping them... A buddy of mine had also purchased from the same source and had some bad luck with the same species(P. murinus, G. pulchripes, and B. albo)... Pretty strange..

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Seems the problem was the source of the slings.. Not the feeders nor how I was keeping them... A buddy of mine had also purchased from the same source and had some bad luck with the same species(P. murinus, G. pulchripes, and B. albo)... Pretty strange..

I would guess they kept their Ts on something Toxic. Probably potting soil with pesticides.

Latest posts