• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How do you know when you're ready for an advanced tarantula like an OBT?

JS31

There is no right or wrong time to get an old world, if you feel like you have the experience with fast moving and defensive new worlds like Psalmopoeus for example, then you can make the decision to get an old world like an obt. Personally I got my first old world a month into the hobby and it was a P. Regalis. Bottom line is it is different for everyone when they feel comfortable getting an old world, if you feel confident with your skills as a keeper and you treat your T’s with respect (knowing that they are venomous animals) then there is no harm in getting one.

I really really want one. I also really really don't want to get bit into oblivion. I've had a few tarantulas, but all very docile. At what point do you step into the ring with an aggressive tarantula?
Hi Zeusophobia,

Here's a new perspective to consider if you like. First off, I've never had an OBT. Those who have, can answer questions on care and "handling" far better than I would. I'm chiming in because you seem very conscientious, respectful of them, and really want one bad. I am one of the most liberty minded men that you will ever speak to. I believe that you have the right to have any spider you want and each person should enjoy and take full responsibility for their choices. Here's where I might help.

*I've had a very dangerous, risky life so far and a few close calls. I'm constantly learning EVERY day on how to improve and from each experience and mistake. I've trained others professionally in various areas of safety and have turned down many potential students and lots of $ for various reasons....including the head emergency room physician at the largest, most prestigious hospital in my state.
*I've raised highly venomous snakes and other dangerous wildlife. This is on a far different level than any tarantula bite. One mistake could send me to heaven or hell.

Questions I had to ask when out of town on business:.
I had to train someone and make sure my responsibility to the animals, just water for instance, was going to be taken care of. Don't answer us. Just ask yourself, am I potentially putting anyone else at risk? Maybe you will leave for a week and need a family member or friend to care for it. Could it escape IF perhaps they were to leave the lid partially open by accident?

Just one of several questions that are to follow to help you make up you own mind on your decision.

Next:
I mentioned a couple credentials so you know where I'm coming from. I'm not trying to come across as a dad, because I don't know you, and your age, etc. However, if you or anyone reading this is a teenager, I would just humble myself and realize that I need more experience before messing with needless risks. I don't know if you could possibly loose a finger over a bite? No idea, and no time to look it up. My breaks about over. Maybe its just minor swelling and tissue damage? Judging from the video that I'll post for you by a very experienced keeper... someone who has a better collection than a big zoo, he has serious concerns for an escape....for whatever reason.?? He goes into lots if details. Notice that he, an uber experienced mature arachnifile, (is that a word?), had an escaped giant hissing c-roach, bearded dragon, cat got in while the dragon and obt was out, etc. The dragon could have been history. Big regret. His missing obt was found inches from his face. (Was it staged to make an exciting video? Probably, but he pulled it off well.) I think the whole video was a short docudrama to show that even a pro like him can have a sleepless night, distractions, forgetfulness, and a bad day on occasion.
It can happen to anyone. He made himself look foolish to make his point IF I'm correct.
Anyhow, if a bite occurs, what's the worse that could happen? I don't know. Maybe ask Coyote Peterson. LOL!

This is The Dark Den

Have a great day and hope you enjoy whatever decision you make!

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
As soon as you post a dark den video and say “a pro like him” you discredit everything you say. By saying you have never owned an obt is another reason. Your information is based on opinion and second hand experience. There was a thread a while back to find out ACTUAL information and experiences with “more defensive” species and the majority of stereotypes are just that..... the obt female we had was a sweetheart. Other members have the same experiences with obts and other species.

LOL!!
:)
RSMATT,
LOL. This afternoon I was thinking, ....."Oh NOW I REMEMBER a couple videos from the last time I watched the channel way back"...
I vaguely remember some basic handling, etc. back then..... handling issues, teaching, etc. and why I didn't subscribe to the guys channel. I stand corrected rs50matt. Now to think about it, he was likely not putting on a show for his video either.
A much better example might have been the venomous snakes who's keepers broke a safety rule and were bit. It really doesn't matter to me if Zeusophobia gets one. I assume that he's a responsible adult and can decide for himself with some more discernment. It's like anything with risks involved. You don't throw someone who might not swim too well into the rapids.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The secret is to keep your mind on the job at all times, stay calm and all will be fine. That goes for all Ts not just the ones with bad reputations.
I have a Pamphobeteus sp. machala, just over 1" dls who is normally very placid but the other night when I lifted the lid to feed it it sneakily sauntered out and sat on the side. With a gentle encouragement it sauntered back in but it shows even the normally well behaved Ts can make a bid for freedom.

Rsmatt,
You said, "Your information is based on opinion and second hand experience."

Yes it is and I made that clear. That is why I gave a very brief credential. It's one thing to note the den vid. My point was a quick lunch break example that even an experienced keeper, which that European is now, makes mistakes. We agree that he can stand to learn quit alot. The vid showed that too.

As to the actual obt variety, I could care less. Someone who has no experience with a critter with CONSEQUENCES is wondering the "ifs, ands, or buts," about getting into it.
If you think I have no right to offer a little bit of help to this guy because I haven't OWNED one yet, you must lack the wisdom that comes with adulthood. I offered a little principle that might help him to decide for himself. You And anyone else can take it or leave it. Others have given opinions to which I trust will help ZP. I have given mine.

It's been established that this critter has a nasty bite, whatever that means. Could he lose a finger, or connective tissue that might limit his options in life for now on? I don't know. Maybe you know from first HAND "experience"? Perhaps there's a long list of documented bites, photographs, or clinical data that you can lend YOUR wealth of experience to? I can't help there, neither will I pretend to know.
I have raised other spiders and snakes that would give the toughest guy on earth a bad day...Creatures that will take limbs and NOT give them back. I learned a couple principles of handling/keeping wildlife that apply across the board. Newbies need someone with the foresight of maturity to provide what little insights we might have offer. Tell me what exactly is wrong with that, rs50matt?

Redsycthe

The secret is to keep your mind on the job at all times, stay calm and all will be fine. That goes for all Ts not just the ones with bad reputations.
I have a Pamphobeteus sp. machala, just over 1" dls who is normally very placid but the other night when I lifted the lid to feed it it sneakily sauntered out and sat on the side. With a gentle encouragement it sauntered back in but it shows even the normally well behaved Ts can make a bid for freedom.
Yep, my T. albo did that exact thing.

Latest posts