• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How do you know when you're ready for an advanced tarantula like an OBT?

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I really really want one. I also really really don't want to get bit into oblivion. I've had a few tarantulas, but all very docile. At what point do you step into the ring with an aggressive tarantula?
If you really want one then get one - it's personal opinion when you feel 'ready' for an old world tarantula... I really dislike it when tarantulas are labeled as being 'aggressive' I am yet to come across any species that is without good reason in reality they are only being defensive and usually they only present this behaviour when they feel threatened for example moving it to a new enclosure ect.
If the OBT is provided with the right kind of set up in my experience they usually run and hide rather than stand there and want to fight - there are of course exceptions to the rule - we have a OBT MM who is a total asshole but this is the only example I've come across like this -
@Enn49 first T was an OBT and I'm sure she will tell you she had no issues with her :)

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I waited 4 years, vacillated and researched, then researched more. I now have several OWs, but let me tell you, non-avic arboreals are faster lol it's the speed most people don't expect.

Keeping OWs are no different than keeping any other spider, you have responsibilities for it's care, housing, husbandry and feeding needs. In performing those obligations you need to be responsible for your own safety - don't put your hands in the enclosure, don't leave the enclosure open and unattended, don't threaten the spider (in it's perspective) with your actions and interactions.

Understand that these creatures did not ask to be kept in a box in your house and that they are instinctively programmed to survive. You cannot domesticate a tarantula of any species to act like or expect interaction with like a dog or a cat. It has very distinctive needs, privacy is one of them. Some Ts will tolerate handling, some will not. A good rule of thumb to prevent an unhappy accident is not to handle them at all.

If you treat ALL sp like OWs then you are all set. If you try to keep a cobalt blue like a curly hair (sorry for common names) you will be sadly surprised at some point.

Good of you to post this, I did similarly and I feel successful having waited and making the choice that I did of what sp to keep and when to add OWs to my collection.

Best of luck, happy researching and T keeping!

testdasi

I really really want one. I also really really don't want to get bit into oblivion. I've had a few tarantulas, but all very docile. At what point do you step into the ring with an aggressive tarantula?
That's a difficult to answer. The 3 key characteristics of an OBT are:
  1. Very fast
  2. Unpredictable
  3. Bite-first-think-later
  4. Web a lot
(2) and (3) are easily mitigated by a tongs-on-hands-off approach.

(4) is just enclosure setup (I recommend you to not have a water dish because it will be webbed over and extracting it for cleaning is a pain in the backside - occasionally spraying the web castle is enough).

So (1) is basically what you need to be comfortable with to be ready for an OBT. That's also why it would be a good idea, even if you are comfortable, to start with a sling.

T-Baby

3 Year Member
If you feel you’re ready then there’s your answer. Common sense and caution are your best friend!

If you’re apprehensive then why not get a NW with some attitude, Pamphobeteus and Phormictopus are great for this purpose.

Whatever you decide to do everyone here will be happy to help! Good luck:)

BrokenRay

3 Year Member
I say to each their own. I for one will never own an OW.

If the other members here witnessed how I interacted with my beginner new world T's they would laugh hysterically. Yes I admit whenever I interact with them you would swear I treated them like they are OW highly defensive T's.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I was terrified of spiders and thought getting a T would help me overcome my fear. I chose an OBT as the one I liked best, that glorious orange, so I did my research. I'd kept Snakes for years and was used to some being temperamental so thought I'd be fine.
That first girl was a Juvi when I bought her and she never gave me any trouble, more likely to run and hide than threaten.
Long tongs for maintenance, slow movements so you don't spook it and you'll be fine.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That's a difficult to answer. The 3 key characteristics of an OBT are:
  1. Very fast
  2. Unpredictable
  3. Bite-first-think-later
  4. Web a lot
(2) and (3) are easily mitigated by a tongs-on-hands-off approach.

(4) is just enclosure setup (I recommend you to not have a water dish because it will be webbed over and extracting it for cleaning is a pain in the backside - occasionally spraying the web castle is enough).

So (1) is basically what you need to be comfortable with to be ready for an OBT. That's also why it would be a good idea, even if you are comfortable, to start with a sling.
These are the sort of comments that create unfair stereotypes in the hobby for species. No tarantula will bite for no reason. They are defensive not aggressive. IMO it’s something said by keepers who want to impress.”obts are advanced and aggressive only the best can keep them, btw I have 4”. It’s not needed.

testdasi

These are the sort of comments that create unfair stereotypes in the hobby for species. No tarantula will bite for no reason. They are defensive not aggressive. IMO it’s something said by keepers who want to impress.”obts are advanced and aggressive only the best can keep them, btw I have 4”. It’s not needed.

There's nothing stereotypical about it. Those are objective comments based on actual keeping experience with comparison against other tarantula species.
Here are the details behind my comments:
  1. OBT is among the fastest of all tarantula species. There's just no denying it. I already refrained from using stereotypes such as "teleport".
  2. What does it mean by unpredictable? Let's use Pokies as a counter example. The Pokies are generally predictable. They run away - threat pose - slap - bite, in that order. I can reliably trust that a certain action will yield a certain reaction from the Pokies. I just can't do that with all the OBT I had. That is in no way stereotyping the OBT.
  3. I did not at any point said the OBT was aggressive (in fact, I have always said tarantulas are defensive and not aggressive). I also did not say a tarantula will bite for no reason. I said, the OBT tends to bite first think later, that is to say it likes to response to any "perceived" intrusion of its territory with a bite. (see, that's not aggressive and it's not "bite for no reason"). The "perceived" is a keyword, it can be something as simple as picking up the enclosure right next to it, causing vibration to be felt. In fact, I had OBT responding to bassy music with defensive bite (to the extent that I had to put insulation foam underneath my OBT enclosure!).
  4. There's nothing stereotypical about an OBT webbing things up. That's fact.
So please feel free to rebuke my points with counter arguments.
At no point did I make any sort of "my junk is bigger than yours" egoistic comments so I don't think I deserve such unsubstantiated interpretation.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
There's nothing stereotypical about it. Those are objective comments based on actual keeping experience with comparison against other tarantula species.
Here are the details behind my comments:
  1. OBT is among the fastest of all tarantula species. There's just no denying it. I already refrained from using stereotypes such as "teleport".
  2. What does it mean by unpredictable? Let's use Pokies as a counter example. The Pokies are generally predictable. They run away - threat pose - slap - bite, in that order. I can reliably trust that a certain action will yield a certain reaction from the Pokies. I just can't do that with all the OBT I had. That is in no way stereotyping the OBT.
  3. I did not at any point said the OBT was aggressive (in fact, I have always said tarantulas are defensive and not aggressive). I also did not say a tarantula will bite for no reason. I said, the OBT tends to bite first think later, that is to say it likes to response to any "perceived" intrusion of its territory with a bite. (see, that's not aggressive and it's not "bite for no reason"). The "perceived" is a keyword, it can be something as simple as picking up the enclosure right next to it, causing vibration to be felt. In fact, I had OBT responding to bassy music with defensive bite (to the extent that I had to put insulation foam underneath my OBT enclosure!).
  4. There's nothing stereotypical about an OBT webbing things up. That's fact.
So please feel free to rebuke my points with counter arguments.
At no point did I make any sort of "my junk is bigger than yours" egoistic comments so I don't think I deserve such unsubstantiated interpretation.
For one obts are not amongst the fastest. But your right that they can be quick.
Just by saying bite first think later implies that there first response is to try bite you which is just false. I can say with certainty that if I put my fingers close enough to an obt in a threat pose it will bite me. But that’s common knowledge with most Ts.
I never mentioned the webbing. I only called you out on the biting. But as you bought it up then I will agree with you. Obts web a decent amount and also do it very quickly after a rehouse.
I also think you’ll find that I never said you made any egotistic comments but IMO (being the key part) people saying obts Are bitey and aggressive is a way of doing such things.

Mundo exotico

My first Ow T was a Heteroscodra Maculata. It was my 4th T and I got her after 6 months in the hobby. I was thinking it would be too dangerous to buy one but on the other hand it was and still is my prefered T. You only get experience with Ow if you deal with them. My never gave me threat posture but she is freaking fast. If you know your limits and you know the proper care of a species and also what you can and cannot do the risk of danger for both you and the spider is really low. I think it is up to you. If you feel you want one and you are willing to follow some rules I would go for it. If you dont feel prepared choose another T. This is my advice. :)

timc

3 Year Member
The good thing about wanting an OBT is that they’re not going anywhere any time soon. They breed so readily in captivity they’re often very cheap and almost always available. What it really boils down to though, is if you’re willing to respect the animal. It is your responsibility after all. This means being prepared for a bolt, a threat posture, slapping, whatever they can throw at you, it’s up to you, the keeper, to take all precautions seriously. If you’re willing to do that, an OBT is an outstanding tarantula that’s a pleasure to keep. If you’re not, or not yet, then just pass for now. They’ll probably still be $15 bucks in 5 years lol

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
As long as you research to no end and you feel comfortable owning one, then go for it. If you want to start off with an OW I would suggest a C. darlingi or M. balfouri. In my experience, they aren't as aggressive as P. murinus and have more of a laid back nature (although they both can be swift at times). Best advice I can give is: DO YOUR RESEARCH. :)

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Every keeper has their own experience and that becomes their basis of "law" and the advice the give.

I think you need to consider multiple sources of experience and documented successes, failures and outcomes to make an educated decision about what's best for you. Like, am I ready for this?

Yes, OBTs can be more "edgy" than a Curly Hair (sorry for common names) but if you poke a bear enough even the most docile bear will attack.

Do the research, know what the general trails and needs and characteristics of a species is, then realize that each individual animal may have it's own personality - which can also change overtime as they mature.

I know a guy who's T was a docile sweetheart, and then it matured, it's genetic programming influenced it's behaviour and it no longer tolerated the same level of interaction with it's keeper. These are instinctive survivors, not lap dogs.

Know what you are getting into and what you need to do to be successful, keep your animal well and be safe. Most of all, make sure you are up for the responsibility and be a good T mommy or daddy.

That's all I'm going to say about that.
tenor.gif

Redsycthe

Every keeper has their own experience and that becomes their basis of "law" and the advice the give.

I think you need to consider multiple sources of experience and documented successes, failures and outcomes to make an educated decision about what's best for you. Like, am I ready for this?

Yes, OBTs can be more "edgy" than a Curly Hair (sorry for common names) but if you poke a bear enough even the most docile bear will attack.

Do the research, know what the general trails and needs and characteristics of a species is, then realize that each individual animal may have it's own personality - which can also change overtime as they mature.

I know a guy who's T was a docile sweetheart, and then it matured, it's genetic programming influenced it's behaviour and it no longer tolerated the same level of interaction with it's keeper. These are instinctive survivors, not lap dogs.

Know what you are getting into and what you need to do to be successful, keep your animal well and be safe. Most of all, make sure you are up for the responsibility and be a good T mommy or daddy.

That's all I'm going to say about that.
tenor.gif
Call a spade a spade. Instinctive behavior can not be mitigated. It's not personality, Tactile response is defense, change of environment and feeding response. So the spider is not friendly, its tolerating what is happening.
I want an Old World, but am I making minor mistakes with my New Worlds...... Yes. If I have a situation with any of mine I have now,my chances are high that those mistakes can be forgiven. Not so much with an Old World. Dont want my kids or my dog in danger. Speed is more unsettling to me than a threat pose, or attempted bite.

Latest posts