• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How do you know when you're ready for an advanced tarantula like an OBT?

Redsycthe

There's nothing stereotypical about it. Those are objective comments based on actual keeping experience with comparison against other tarantula species.
Here are the details behind my comments:
  1. OBT is among the fastest of all tarantula species. There's just no denying it. I already refrained from using stereotypes such as "teleport".
  2. What does it mean by unpredictable? Let's use Pokies as a counter example. The Pokies are generally predictable. They run away - threat pose - slap - bite, in that order. I can reliably trust that a certain action will yield a certain reaction from the Pokies. I just can't do that with all the OBT I had. That is in no way stereotyping the OBT.
  3. I did not at any point said the OBT was aggressive (in fact, I have always said tarantulas are defensive and not aggressive). I also did not say a tarantula will bite for no reason. I said, the OBT tends to bite first think later, that is to say it likes to response to any "perceived" intrusion of its territory with a bite. (see, that's not aggressive and it's not "bite for no reason"). The "perceived" is a keyword, it can be something as simple as picking up the enclosure right next to it, causing vibration to be felt. In fact, I had OBT responding to bassy music with defensive bite (to the extent that I had to put insulation foam underneath my OBT enclosure!).
  4. There's nothing stereotypical about an OBT webbing things up. That's fact.
So please feel free to rebuke my points with counter arguments.
At no point did I make any sort of "my junk is bigger than yours" egoistic comments so I don't think I deserve such unsubstantiated interpretation.
I watched a video of that guy Rob (he documented both his P.Regalis and P.ornata bites). He rehoused his O.violaceopes that IMO ranked up with an OBT speed.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just get the OBT. You know you want one. They are hearty buggers. Ther husbandry is simple. They are great eaters and they are cool looking. Yes, they have medically significant venom, and they are quicker than a non-OBT owner is likely to expect, but you probably wouldn’t be in the hobby unless you respected the creature. Check your pulse and have a catch Cup ready. You will be fine.

Pcancerides

3 Year Member
I really really want one. I also really really don't want to get bit into oblivion. I've had a few tarantulas, but all very docile. At what point do you step into the ring with an aggressive tarantula?

You can handle an OBT. It will just run all over you. I've never been bitten by a tarantula in over six years and I've kept everything.

Redsycthe

That's exactly why I am here, this topic is soo... hot button. I love the fact that you can get well contrasted replies without feeling like a unintelligent hobbiest/keeper. Much love and respect to you guys on this board for your info and candor.
Listen, you can favor "The Ladder System". You can jump right into OWs. It's about what you can be capable of. I absolutely "want" an OW, OBTs are beautiful. But... I have a crazy huskie, 3 curious children, and a hedge hog. Those outside factors trump my "wants". Simply put they are more important. Everyone is diverse, you can do what you feel is right for you.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
That's exactly why I am here, this topic is soo... hot button. I love the fact that you can get well contrasted replies without feeling like a unintelligent hobbiest/keeper. Much love and respect to you guys on this board for your info and candor.
Listen, you can favor "The Ladder System". You can jump right into OWs. It's about what you can be capable of. I absolutely "want" an OW, OBTs are beautiful. But... I have a crazy huskie, 3 curious children, and a hedge hog. Those outside factors trump my "wants". Simply put they are more important. Everyone is diverse, you can do what you feel is right for you.

There is a solution to every problem. I have 4 cats and a lunatic dog so all my little T containers are kept inside an ExoTerra, slightly larger ones are inside glass fronted vivariums so only the big guys and gals are on open shelves. You can get locks for sliding glass doors and ExoTerras to keep little fingers out.

Redsycthe

I live in apt., would love it. Just not in the cards currently.
@octanejunkie this is going to be my project though. 7 ft. Curio Cabinet. I have to change out the glass for acrylic. I'm estimating 5-6 enclosures for my eventual adults. No ventilation with glass currently. But I could possibly put my sling containers in there now there is about a 1/4 gap vertically between the wood and side glass. Still skeptical about the right amount of air circulation.

Redsycthe

@octanejunkie this is going to be my project though. 7 ft. Curio Cabinet. I have to change out the glass for acrylic. I'm estimating 5-6 enclosures for my eventual adults. No ventilation with glass currently. But I could possibly put my sling containers in there now there is about a 1/4 gap vertically between the wood and side glass. Still skeptical about the right amount of air circulation.

Attachments

• 20200701_125143.jpg
    20200701_125143.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Nice.

Not sure you need to swap out the glass, I would notch the bottom shelf and put a couple of holes in the top for passive ventilation or install some 12 volt fans and put them on a thermostatic relay and add a temperature controller, if you want to get fancy, and you can move air through the cabinet is necessary starting with ambient.

if you live in a colder climate, you can also add heat coils at the very bottom and use the fans the draw the heat up through the cabinet before exhausting it; again relying on the thermostat controller to regulate heat/fan on/off.

I've done a ton of this work in the AV world in custom homes so it's a no-brainer and can be done for very little money if electrical engineering is your thing.

One question tho, WILL IT BE BIG ENOUGH FOR ALL YOUR Ts?

Redsycthe

Nice.

Not sure you need to swap out the glass, I would notch the bottom shelf and put a couple of holes in the top for passive ventilation or install some 12 volt fans and put them on a thermostatic relay and add a temperature controller, if you want to get fancy, and you can move air through the cabinet is necessary starting with ambient.

if you live in a colder climate, you can also add heat coils at the very bottom and use the fans the draw the heat up through the cabinet before exhausting it; again relying on the thermostat controller to regulate heat/fan on/off.

I've done a ton of this work in the AV world in custom homes so it's a no-brainer and can be done for very little money if electrical engineering is your thing.

One question tho, WILL IT BE BIG ENOUGH FOR ALL YOUR Ts?
12×10in. surface area, about 18in vert. But that can be adjusted. Not contemplating any fossorial spec. in these but maybe aboral and terrestrial. I can swing maybe a 5-7 inch barrier around the surface area for substrate? What do you think?

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
12×10in. surface area, about 18in vert. But that can be adjusted. Not contemplating any fossorial spec. in these but maybe aboral and terrestrial. I can swing maybe a 5-7 inch barrier around the surface area for substrate? What do you think?
I thought no you should keep individual sling enclosures in that cabinet. Keep it simple.

Arboreals will need more airflow

Latest posts