• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hi! New Here, Older Elsewhere

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I would recommend a Green Bottle Blue if you haven't already gotten one, and a P.cambridgei or P.irminia before acquiring the P.regalis. I do feel that people should have at least a little bit of experience with fast-moving/high-strung species before acquiring something that is both of these and also possesses medically significant venom.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome to the forum, good choice for a first Poeci. The regalis has very clean lines, the pattern really pops out at you. Personally I think my regalis is prettier than my metallica.

eminart

3 Year Member
Thanks again, everyone! This seems like a nice, friendly place.

And, Chubbs, I do appreciate the advice, and I understand where you're coming from. I've read all these debates. But, I know myself well, and I'll be ok with a Poeci. I don't think I'm special, but I'm very careful, very thorough, I don't panic, and I will do everything possible to limit any risks.

But, to your other point, I do like the P. irminia's a lot. Their looks, anyway. But, I've heard they tend to hide all of the time. Do you guys with experience with them find that to be true? I'm considering picking up one of those up too when I get the poeci.

Thistles

3 Year Member

And, Chubbs, I do appreciate the advice, and I understand where you're coming from. I've read all these debates. But, I know myself well, and I'll be ok with a Poeci. I don't think I'm special, but I'm very careful, very thorough, I don't panic, and I will do everything possible to limit any risks.

But, to your other point, I do like the P. irminia's a lot. Their looks, anyway. But, I've heard they tend to hide all of the time. Do you guys with experience with them find that to be true? I'm considering picking up one of those up too when I get the poeci.
They're a little shy, yeah. I see toes a lot, poking out of the end of a cork tube. Their cousin, Psalmopoeus cambridgei is always out in the open and gets a little larger. They aren't as dramatic, being grey and orange instead of black and orange, but they're still a beautiful display animal.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

They do hide a lot. Personally, I feel it's worth it though for when you do see them.

N8tive556

3 Year Member
Hey! Late to the welcome wagon! Sorry, but just wanted to say, hello and show support for your desire to go Poeci! It was a dream T for me and my roommates surprised me with a P. regalis sling, site it's only my second T... But it's a sling and I just hope that my experience grows along with him so that some day we'll be on the same field! Sorry for dragging this on anyways hello!

eminart

3 Year Member
In my opinion, the irminia has the most wicked paint job in the hobby, but yeah, they mostly come out at night, mostly.

They really are beautiful. I was reading up on them a few months ago. I'll probably add one to my collection sooner rather than later, even if they are a bit reclusive.

SasyStace

3 Year Member

Hello Eminart and welcome! I love this forum tried some others and didn't care for the vibe but I love it here. I have a P. Irminia and she is a wonderful T and I actually see her very often at night when she is hunting, she tends to stay tucked into her cork bark but when I spray her tank she comes right out and drinks and then goes back in- I have loved her since day one got her as a sling and I am so pleased to have her in my collection. I think you'll love it here also I am a very young 38 so you're in great company. :)

Latest posts