• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hi! New Here, Older Elsewhere

eminart

3 Year Member
Hey guys. I just found this forum. I've been on the "other one" for a few years, but I rarely post. There's a lot of info over there, but there's also some broken records that sap the joy out of everything.

Anyway, I'm an old guy. I'll be 39 next week. I've kept reptiles for over 30 years, and I got my first T (B. smithi) sometime around 1987, I think. I found it at a local pet store, and probably pestered my mom into buying it for me along with a really bad book on tarantulas that I still have today. The smithi eventually died, and I didn't get another until about 8 years ago. There is a good reptile store in my city that used to also sell a lot of T's. I bought an Acanthoscurria chacoana sling from them and kept it until it died a few years ago.

This past spring, my daughter and I (she's 10 and loves reptiles and arachnids) were researching T's and I decided to jump back in with both feet. We're very lucky to have a breeder/dealer a short drive from our home. We researched online and I decided I wanted a G. pulchra, and she wanted an A. albopilosum. We visited JR's Invertebrates (great guy) and picked them up. And, he threw in a free A. metallica. Anyway, we've kept those 3 slings for several months and are loving them. But, we need more, More, MORE, MOOOAAAAARRRR! ;)

So, this is the point where my post will likely become more controversial. I want a Poeci. I think they're gorgeous. I do understand the challenges. I also understand why the "ladder system" of working up to them is suggested by most. But, like I said, I'm an old guy with lots of experience with a wide range of animals, including a few T's (albeit, calm NW T's). But, I'm leaning strongly toward a P. regalis. They're just beautiful spiders, and I really love the arboreal setups. Making naturalistic setups is one of my passions, so the arboreal spiders really fit the bill there.

Anyway, I didn't come here to argue about whether or not I should get a Poeci. I just came here to learn, chat, see cool photos, and share a common interest. So, anyway, I hope to be around and learn more about you guys.

Other interests: falconry, hunting, fishing, camping, herping, reading, reptiles, and Alabama football. ;)

Last edited:

khatchet

3 Year Member
Welcome to the forum, I do not see your wanting a poeci starting anything over here. We are here because we all love tarantula. There are people hear that had poeci as there first and did great, Any thing you want answer to just ask. For the poeci I would also like my first to be a P.regalis. Just prepare your self for what they are capable of, and I am sure you will do great with it. I got a P. mirinus when I had only had an A. avicularia and G.rosea before hand, did just fine with him. So I know this is kind of ongoing but just make sure you know what you are getting into and you will do fine with the pocei.

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi and welcome to the dark side lol!
I like your hobby falconry. Do you have your own birds? If so what kind?

P.S.: 39 doesn't make you an old man, lol!!! (I'm 36, hubby's 37)

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi and welcome .. Im 36 lol... I love birds. If I were to have one it would be hen harrier.. image.jpeg
We can ask you questions then if your old :)

eminart

3 Year Member
Yay! More oldies! LOL. Thanks guys. I'm just accustomed to so many in this hobby and the reptile hobby being teenagers. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the young people. I'm just usually one of the older guys. You know, like that creepy 35 year old dude that shows up to a high school party.

Sym, harriers are cool. I see northern harriers often here in the winter, but they're worthless for falconry, unless you're hunting mice or grasshoppers.

Last edited:

khatchet

3 Year Member
I can't say I am amazingly cool, but I do try to help the new people in the hobby and people that have been in the hobby much longer then me. That is if something they do not know arises and I know the answer. I have only been in the hobby 4 years, but when I am not on here I am ether working or studying tarantula and reptile alike.

khatchet

3 Year Member
I have an 1 Pogona/ bearded dragon, 2 Rhacodactylus ciliatus/ crested gecko, 2 Eublepharis macularius/ leopard gecko, 2 Pantherophis guttatus/ corn snake, 1 Hemitheconyx caudicinctus/ fat tailed gecko. What reptiles do you have?

eminart

3 Year Member
I have an 1 Pogona/ bearded dragon, 2 Rhacodactylus ciliatus/ crested gecko, 2 Eublepharis macularius/ leopard gecko, 2 Pantherophis guttatus/ corn snake, 1 Hemitheconyx caudicinctus/ fat tailed gecko. What reptiles do you have?

I have one Drymarchon couperi (eastern indigo snake), one Boa constrictor imperator (common boa), and one Testudo kleinmanni (egyptian tortoise).

My daughter has three E. macularius (leos), and two P. guttatus (corn snakes). These are hers, and I let her do all of the care-taking, but I supervise to be sure it's done.

khatchet

3 Year Member
That is a nice collection, I have always wanted the Boa constrictor imperator, just do not have the room.

eminart

3 Year Member
That is a nice collection, I have always wanted the Boa constrictor imperator, just do not have the room.

Thanks.
The BCI is a young male. He was born in the spring, so he's still small. And, I specifically got a male so he'd stay a little smaller. Between the indigo's 2'x6' enclosure, and the tortoise's 2'x4' table, they've taken up a lot of my reptile room. That's one thing that's so great about the T's - easy care and small enclosures. I could probably fit 20 adult T enclosures in my indigo's home.

khatchet

3 Year Member
Yeah that is very nice tarantula take up little space, my 5 are one 1 shelf in my closet. While the reptile take up most of mine and my girl friends bedroom.

Latest posts