• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help Me Better Understand

E

ExMember

Power feeding is a reptile term. I powerfeed my jeweled lacerta right now. What you do is overfeed them when they are young. This is to make him grow faster. He should be shedding once a month and now it's down to about every 3 weeks. Breeders do this so they can sell quicker. Less time spent as a baby.

Power feeding tarantulas doesn't work the same way. Food is the nourishment they need to moult but the moult is more dependant on if their new exo is ready. So feeding a t more won't trip a moult.

Tarantulabas1993

Power feeding is a reptile term. I powerfeed my jeweled lacerta right now. What you do is overfeed them when they are young. This is to make him grow faster. He should be shedding once a month and now it's down to about every 3 weeks. Breeders do this so they can sell quicker. Less time spent as a baby.

Power feeding tarantulas doesn't work the same way. Food is the nourishment they need to moult but the moult is more dependant on if their new exo is ready. So feeding a t more won't trip a moult.

Thank you for the information. Wont power feed anymore

Soulman

Yep not going to power feed anymore. I'll have a room full of dead spiders if I continue
I've only herd of snake owners power feeding,Can not think of any reason for a spider,people think of it you power feed you get quick result.but you can shorten a life of an animal,with your spider it can only go one way..

Grandsouls

Power feeding is for lizards/reptiles...doesnt work with tarantulas.

As past snake keeper and lizard keeper reptile enthusiast I just want to clear up, if anyone happens to read this. It is NOT ok to power feed reptiles, can cause fatty liver disease in lizards, snakes lives can shorten dramatically and can be life threatening to many lizards like those in the monitor family.

It is definitely not for reptiles.

Only time it is okay, is if its prepping for female to breed. Otherwise never ever over feed. They are same as tarantula mass majority will quite literally eat them self's to death if you let them and are opportunistic eaters as well.

Grandsouls

Please DO NOT power feed your lizard to make him grow quickly.
Please do research! IT is not good for any form of reptile. It can cause fatty liver disease, and shorten there life expectancy DRAMATICALLY. Just feed him and keep him at a healthy weight, and please just be patient. Sure you may get a adult quicker, but he is also going to be dead a hell of a lot quicker too. Please do more research. They are not a slow growing species to begin with, just be patient your main concern should be keeping him healthy, even if you do power feed your really only knocking off maybe 1 month from young to adult.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
As past snake keeper and lizard keeper reptile enthusiast I just want to clear up, if anyone happens to read this. It is NOT ok to power feed reptiles, can cause fatty liver disease in lizards, snakes lives can shorten dramatically and can be life threatening to many lizards like those in the monitor family.

It is definitely not for reptiles.

Only time it is okay, is if its prepping for female to breed. Otherwise never ever over feed. They are same as tarantula mass majority will quite literally eat them self's to death if you let them and are opportunistic eaters as well.

It is a term used heavily and originated in the reptile/snake hobby. Weither it works or not for reptiles is not relevant in this thread. Power feeding does not work with Arachnids and invertebrates as I stated.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Usually, breeders will power feed sub adult tarantulas to help them reach their maturing molt faster. They do this so they can breed. Most of the time it is the females that are power fed but I know of some instances where the male is being power fed for the same reason: for his ultimate molt to breed with a mature female. Timing is a key factor in all of this. People that power feed slings usually do so because they want their tarantula to get bigger....not so much for breeding purposes because most of the time it takes years for the sling to reach adulthood and unless you know that your slings are male and female and intend on breeding them then there would be no logical reason to power feed the both of them. Just my opinion.

Latest posts