• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help Me Better Understand

Tarantulabas1993

My B smithi female has refused food for the past few days but still continues to crawl around her den opening where I usually feed her. Is this premolt behavior or could she still be hungry?
20200407_175139.jpg

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Abdomen starting to look shiny but hasn't fully darkened so could be the start of premoult but actual moult still a way off.
As it's very plump I wouldn't feed until after it moults especially as it's been refusing.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Ok thanks so much, she will be ok? I'll will just keep it humid and keep her water filled up

At that size no need to keep it humid, although I like to overflow the water dish in a corner (just enough water to run down the wall to the bottom of that corner). As long as the waterdish is full like you mention, it'll be just fine.

E

ExMember

That's a lot of crickets. The problem is that tarantulas are opportunistic feeders and will eat until they have enough food to moult. Then they fast until their new exo skeleton is ready. It isn't too bad unless its an adult that gets obese and gets a dragging injury. In that case it's dangerous when they might be months away from a moult.

Long story short : that t is stuffed! I personally would feed a juvie once a week to prevent a fast.

E

ExMember

I have all juvies and or slings no adults yet, but yeah I dont want an injury especially to such a rare tarantula like the B.smithi. will she be ok? I'm sorry I keep asking that question
I'm sure she'll be fine. Probably won't eat for a while though.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
This spider had a internal rupture...my guess would be too much to eat. Died a few days later. I'm not totally sure why but that was the consensus.
IMG_3270.jpg

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Then why do people do it then? Help me understand that because people have told me they power feed.
Because they dont know better. They are always the first to post my spider hasn't eaten in months...ate real good then stopped (shows image of a obsess booty). Seen it a thousand times. :D

Latest posts