• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello from me and Spinelli the Spider

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I keep them at room temp 68-75 degrees. I over flow the water dish heavy once a week. I try to keep one side of the enclosure the wet side. They do like it alittle more moist but not so much it wont dry out in a weeks time. They like to dig deep burrows but they also sit out alot... especially when they are older (more confidence I think). I give them 4-5" of substrate and bury one end of the hide so they can build their own burrow. Pretty easy to take care of really.

Cody-Myles

3 Year Member
Yeah reckon you have yourself a zebra knee. They can vary in behaviour but mine and the adult female they have in the pet shop never come out and that's supposedly common for these, strange she isn't a digger though [emoji848]. Mine is happy at 21-23 Celsius and sometimes it drops to 19. Her sub is always moist, never dries out because I have smaller and fewer air holes than my other Ts to reduce drying out but she has never complained or shown discomfort [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smallbike

3 Year Member
It's been getting down in the 58-62 F range lately (SF Bay area). I have a space heater, but don't leave it running because it's expensive. It has a timer so I run it for about 2-3 hrs in the morning (when it's the coldest) and another 2-3 hrs in the evening. It gets into the upper 60s when the heater is on.

And she sort of digs? she has a little hollowed out indentation under her hide.

So now that she's a Costa Rican zebra, how old should I guess?

Cody-Myles

3 Year Member
Tbf if she was too cold she would spend a lot of time hidden and be 'lazy', inactive (which is easier to notice when they're adults).
What's her leg span do you know?. They normally max out at around 4.5-5 inches, some have been known to reach 5.5-6 but average is 5 I think. Chacos reach 8" so you can tell.
Tbh that's probably why she is the size she is at the age and why we got confused at the growth rate [emoji23]. Not sure but I think makes live around 5 years and females 20 ‍♂️

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It's been getting down in the 58-62 F range lately (SF Bay area). I have a space heater, but don't leave it running because it's expensive. It has a timer so I run it for about 2-3 hrs in the morning (when it's the coldest) and another 2-3 hrs in the evening. It gets into the upper 60s when the heater is on.

And she sort of digs? she has a little hollowed out indentation under her hide.

So now that she's a Costa Rican zebra, how old should I guess?
She looks active so the temp must not be bothering her much...most spiders hunt in the wild when it's cool and not in the heat of the day. I'd add some more substrate to your enclosure though. Age is hard to guess with Ts. I'd say by the pics it's 3 years old or so???

smallbike

3 Year Member
Thanks everyone! So I guess the only difference is that I should overflow her dish a bit, and give her some more substrate. I’ll be researching (again) for another week to learn about this particular species. I was looking forward to her getting gigantic, but hey, a 5” spider is still a big f’n spider!

Cody-Myles

3 Year Member
Thanks everyone! So I guess the only difference is that I should overflow her dish a bit, and give her some more substrate. I’ll be researching (again) for another week to learn about this particular species. I was looking forward to her getting gigantic, but hey, a 5” spider is still a big f’n spider!
Yeah that's pretty much it. More humidity with an overflowed dish and more sub as they like to dig deep to hide.
The only difference in temperament between the 2 is that zebra knees are more skittish and flighty than chacos so a bit more diligence is needed with them. Mine will dash at the slightest disturbance but overall they're still at the beginner level [emoji1303]

smallbike

3 Year Member
Yep - she's definitely a little skittish, which didn't match up with the Chaco descriptions.

Well, considering I didn't know what species she was until I picked her up, and then that turned out to be wrong, this has been an adventure. I guess this is what happens when you get a spider off of craigslist ;) I'm happy with her, though. Very interesting pet!

Cody-Myles

3 Year Member
Lol tbh the hardest T to define would be most slings as they pretty much all look the same [emoji849].
It's better for them to have substrate that holds moisture and to have it a little moist overall so it will hold up when they build a burrow, my sling has moist enough sub to build a sturdy hide and overflowed water dish.
Living in England I don't really know much about craigslist but some 'off' things are said about the kind of stuff you can get on there [emoji23], she will be a little darling and the patterns and colouration are close to Chaco so you still got the kind of T you wanted [emoji1303].
They're not really known for fasting so less concern. My Chaco has been fasting for a a few months or so and buried for about 6 weeks [emoji20]

Latest posts