• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello from me and Spinelli the Spider

smallbike

3 Year Member
D023A8F8-EA7D-4509-8B2B-40C844133F00.jpeg
32423AFB-7368-440F-B974-7CB370ACB249.jpeg
Hello, everyone! I am the new owner of a G. Pulchripes (Chaco golden knee) as of Thursday. I had no idea how fast I’d fall for her! She’s about a year old and maybe 3 inches - hard to say depending on how far her legs are stretched.

Of course I don’t know for sure that she’s about a year (or even that she’s a she) so I’m hoping to keep learning. She seems kind of big for a year. Good to meet everyone!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi, welcome to the hobby. Spinelli is gorgeous and I'm sure she'll be the first of many.:)

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@smallbike : welcome aboard. Great to have you. Love your avatar. I suspect he/she is closer to 2 years. 3 inches for a Chaco seems awful fast. If indeed it is a she, you can expect at least another 15 years from her.

smallbike

3 Year Member
@smallbike : welcome aboard. Great to have you. Love your avatar. I suspect he/she is closer to 2 years. 3 inches for a Chaco seems awful fast. If indeed it is a she, you can expect at least another 15 years from her.
That’s what I thought, closer to 2 (maybe 3?) years. Not only is she big but she’s already got stripes on her legs like an adult, even if they haven’t reached their full color potential.

Anyways, I hope to have her for a long time!

Cody-Myles

3 Year Member
Welcome [emoji846].
I'd second others in the 2-3 years bit. Apparently they reach adult size at 3 years but I even question that because mine has been with me for 6 months as a sling (as you've seen) and has moulted once growing maybe no more than 0.25". It will take another year or so for mine to even reach near a juvenile and I'd say yours is sub-adult so has to be a good 2+ years of clockwork moulting.
Best of luck with her, they're an extremely slow grower so don't expect a moult from her any time soon [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smallbike

3 Year Member
Hi everyone- just when I thought I’d gotten over my new-spider-Mom anxieties, now I’m worried that she’s not a golden knee at all! She was kind of a rescue, so her background info could be totally wrong. Do you think she might be an A. Seemanni?

Cody-Myles

3 Year Member
Does she spend her time out and about mostly or hidden in her hide?. Seemanni are fossorial so spend their time hidden away in their burrow but Chaco are terrestrial and spend a lot of time out in the open?!

smallbike

3 Year Member
Hmm. She seems to split her time between the hide and being out and about, and she is lighter underneath, but more of a rusty color than tan or peach. Her leg stripes are cream, but I was thinking maybe that’s because she’s (supposedly) a juvenile. For all I know she’s a he too.

smallbike

3 Year Member
I’m just worried because she’s got a dry habitat and it gets chilly in my room, which I would be a lot more worried about if she’s a Seemanni

Cody-Myles

3 Year Member
Also if her spinnerets are a light colour the same as her underside then Seemanni. If she splits her time then I'd say Chaco cus Seemanni are notorious for making it look like you have a box of dirt [emoji849]. The top of the carapace on a Seemanni will have the same light colour around the joints of her legs where they attach to the carapace. They have quite distinct markings that can tell them apart from chacos. Here's my Seemanni sub-juvi with the aforementioned light colourations.
d7c9930f41b0c1e07ca73d4ee364d3a2.jpg
e4eda1e4b6616a3a048d418b730acabb.jpg
af37ff71d25a3119e931ea935807412f.jpg

smallbike

3 Year Member
Well, lucky for us, she enjoys showing off her belly. I guess I have an A. Seemanni then?

*time to freak out about the temperature in my room*

Attachments

• CB7591AC-B760-40A6-9944-6243D320ED56.jpeg
    CB7591AC-B760-40A6-9944-6243D320ED56.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 12

Latest posts