• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

remington

I'm still trying to choose my first tarantula, and I am squarely stuck between these three. I would get all three, but due to my living situation I can only have one. Which species would you recommend for a college junior living in a small dorm? I plan to start off with a sling from Fear Not Ts. I find the red knee the most pleasant to look at, but I do think the curly hair has a certain charm to it. I like the pulchripes' size and reputation for being calm (although I'm aware that temperament will vary).

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I clicked on this thinking it was a 3-way ultimate tarantula match. Oof. Since it's not a competition, you should get all 3 as slings and when "housing space" becomes an issue, just move lol

Okay, kidding (not really) here is the/my objective truth

T albopilosus is very basic and a great first T
G pulchripes is quirky and can be skittish (all tarantulas can be skittish)
B hamorii is the classic hobby tarantula but a super slow grower if starting from a sling

May I ask, what brought you to this "final three" and what did you choose not to choose?

remington

I clicked on this thinking it was a 3-way ultimate tarantula match. Oof. Since it's not a competition, you should get all 3 as slings and when "housing space" becomes an issue, just move lol

Okay, kidding (not really) here is the/my objective truth

T albopilosus is very basic and a great first T
G pulchripes is quirky and can be skittish (all tarantulas can be skittish)
B hamorii is the classic hobby tarantula but a super slow grower if starting from a sling

May I ask, what brought you to this "final three" and what did you choose not to choose?
I apologize for inadvertently click baiting you, haha
If only moving were possible, sigh

I did a lot of research on Ts that made good starters. I immediately ruled out arboreals because I prefer a heavier bodied, (generally) slower moving spider, so no pink toes for me. I also find the enclosures of terrestrials more interesting to look at, possibly because my dad had a rose hair when I was growing up. I was looking for something hardy, easy on the eyes, and ideally as docile as they come.
I was initially very sure about G pulchripes because I wanted a bigger tarantula, but for some reason B hamorii has been on my mind more and more lately with its striking coloration. I recently decided to consider the curly hair as well because it's very charmingly unkempt. Since I'm in college I am willing to deal with the slower growth rates, I don't want it to get huge before I graduate in 2023, lol

Egon

3 Year Member
Ok, so I’m new to this and have no experience with adult tarantulas, but if I were you I’d get the hamorii because it’s going to take forever to grow up anyway, so by the time your life is more stable you’ll finally have a decent sized hamorii.

Older/mature curly hairs are much more readily available and cheaper than hamorii. There’s a mature female curly hair for sale on Craigslist in my area for $40.

I just got a g. pulchripes, b. smithi and a. hentzi from Fear Not. I bought the package (the enclosure and some roach nymphs) and highly recommend it.

Good luck.

birdonfire

3 Year Member
Curly hairs are typically the fastest growers from slings of the three and the cheapest. I have all three and I love each one. FNT is way overpriced. Look around. There will be someone local or online with better pricing.

Lawrence b

3 Year Member
I agree with what octanejunkie says about all three species the only thing I would add is B.hamorii are more likely to fick hairs . But in saying that temperaments can vary in the same species , am just going on what my experience is with what I have .

remington

Curly hairs are typically the fastest growers from slings of the three and the cheapest. I have all three and I love each one. FNT is way overpriced. Look around. There will be someone local or online with better pricing.
From what I see on their website it’s going to cost me 60-70 bucks for the sling with an enclosure, substrate, decor, and feeders all included. I feel like that’s very reasonable, but idk are the prices different for your area?

remington

Tarantula: $13. Enclosure: $1. Substrate: $4. Hide: $1 Feeders: $8. Soldering iron: $10. $37. That was the cost of my first 1.5 inch tarantula.
I’m just using the G pulchripes as an example but the general ballpark for the sling alone is 40-50 USD from what I see across several sellers. Is it worth that much? I don’t know, but that’s what it seems to be going for right now. I don’t think 10-20$ more for all that stuff is an awful deal, even just for the convenience alone.
If I was going to get the curly hair, however, I would probably opt to go somewhere else.

Egon

3 Year Member
I’m just using the G pulchripes as an example but the general ballpark for the sling alone is 40-50 USD from what I see across several sellers. Is it worth that much? I don’t know, but that’s what it seems to be going for right now. I don’t think 10-20$ more for all that stuff is an awful deal, even just for the convenience alone.
If I was going to get the curly hair, however, I would probably opt to go somewhere else.
Again, I am totally new to the tarantula world, but from my research online and looking at local prices at a few stores in my area (I live in a major metro area in the Midwest), I think Fear Not's prices for slings are very reasonable. Comparable slings in my area are going for $50 or more. My G. Pulchripes and B. Smithi slings from Fear Not were cheaper (without the package). Of course you don't have to pay for shipping locally, but then the variety can be limited. The slings I bought are not available locally.

I bought two of their packages and am very happy with them. I set up a freebie myself with supplies I had on hand. You can see pictures here: https://www.tarantulaforum.com/threads/starting-with-1-vs-3.30593/#post-204533

If you're a hobbyist, startup/set-up costs will be much cheaper than for a total newbie, who I believe can avoid a lot of cost and hassle with the packages. This is from my personal experience keeping other animals. I've been keeping fish off and on for about 30 years and have kept snakes and newts for 10 years or so.

If you're someone like me, it can be cheaper to set up slings yourself with supplies you already have on hand. However, I think the Fear Not packages are a great value and gave me peace of mind as a total newbie. If you're not a hobbyist with a lot of supplies, you'll need to buy them new and they will cost you more in the end:

-bag of eco earth
-bag of sphagnum moss
-cork bark you have to break down for a sling
-fake plants for hides
-container for hides (you can use old deli cups or other recycled containers like I did, but the Fear Not enclosure is nice)

I already had some of this stuff on hand for my other pets.

All of these things will cost you much more than the package, and you'll use a tiny fraction of them. Yes, in the end you will eventually need more of all of those supplies, but not for quite some time if you have a slow-growing species. Yes, I also understand you could possibly find some of these supplies by asking local hobbyists or your friends who may keep other pets or plants that require the same supplies. Great if you can.

I used a sewing needle to poke holes in a deli cup for my freebie, but if you have a free container that is as tough as the Fear Not enclosures, you will need a real tool. Maybe you have that tool. Maybe you don't. If you don't, getting that tool is an extra cost. Some may find personal satisfaction with setting everything up from scratch themselves, some may want the peace of mind of having things set up for them.

Good luck.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm still trying to choose my first tarantula, and I am squarely stuck between these three. I would get all three, but due to my living situation I can only have one. Which species would you recommend for a college junior living in a small dorm? I plan to start off with a sling from Fear Not Ts. I find the red knee the most pleasant to look at, but I do think the curly hair has a certain charm to it. I like the pulchripes' size and reputation for being calm (although I'm aware that temperament will vary).
1636653248813.png

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
From what I see on their website it’s going to cost me 60-70 bucks for the sling with an enclosure, substrate, decor, and feeders all included. I feel like that’s very reasonable, but idk are the prices different for your area?
Where are you located? I have curly hair slings a plenty

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
I would definitely go for a T.albo. They grow faster than hamorii do, and are very cheap.
Sounds like they could make a great stocking stuffer for Christmas. Just imagine the joy and surprise on your loved one's face when they reach into the stocking and pull out a handful of fuzzy, furry tarantula love.

My eyes are tearing up already.

Bugzrule

Sounds like they could make a great stocking stuffer for Christmas. Just imagine the joy and surprise on your loved one's face when they reach into the stocking and pull out a handful of fuzzy, furry tarantula love.

My eyes are tearing up already.
The way you said that just makes my tarantula addiction worse

Latest posts