• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Former Arachnophobe, current arachnophiliac

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yes actually after doing some more research I don’t think I’m quite ready yet for a pokie...I am getting a g. pulchra and p. sazimai in a couple weeks and I may also add either a grammostola iheringi or an m. balfouri along with an avic. to the order. At least the avic. will help prepare me for the arboreal OW’s.
If you want to really prepare for OW arboreals, it is often recommended to get a specimen within the Psalmopoeus genus (ex: P. Irminia), a good stepping stone species for OW terrestrials is Phormictopus cancerides (they are easier to find) or any species in the pamphobeteus genus (platyomma is fairly common) (solaris is the one keepers dream of owning, but do not wish to go bankrupt buying one).

AHM76

3 Year Member
If you want to really prepare for OW arboreals, it is often recommended to get a specimen within the Psalmopoeus genus (ex: P. Irminia), a good stepping stone species for OW terrestrials is Phormictopus cancerides (they are easier to find) or any species in the pamphobeteus genus (platyomma is fairly common) (solaris is the one keepers dream of owning, but do not wish to go bankrupt buying one).
Thank you for the advice! I will definitely consider the ones you mentioned. I have many Pamphobeteus on my list actually, such gorgeous colors and voracious appetites make them very appealing. And I know what you mean about the Solaris - my jaw dropped when I saw the cost of a 2 in female..I had no idea it was possible that a spider could cost almost as much as our purebred GS dogs!

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thank you for the advice! I will definitely consider the ones you mentioned. I have many Pamphobeteus on my list actually, such gorgeous colors and voracious appetites make them very appealing. And I know what you mean about the Solaris - my jaw dropped when I saw the cost of a 2 in female..I had no idea it was possible that a spider could cost almost as much as our purebred GS dogs!
Glad I could help

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Drat same size 2.jpg

The OW terrestrials are fast as well, but usually they run down!!

The fact is that all of them NW or OW are quicker then you are, quicker then flies and crickets are. Therefore, it should be done in an area where the T had no place to run or hide or hurt itself.

Do yourself a favor and get an enclosure that's well built where you only have to slightly open it to feed, water or maintain it. Above is one example which is a Jamie's arboreal that I lightly modified with a feeding port and a cork and a retainer.

The main thing with pokies, even mine, is that they have a horizontal circular or spiral pattern of movement. Simply getting an enclosure that opens up at the top is 95% of the battle.

In my opinion I can't emphasize it enough. The enclosure should be 100% transparent from all or most areas (bonded screen on top is ok) so that you can see exactly WHERE the spider is and WHAT it's body language is. I can't tell if the fangs spread a little bit apart or it just slightly tensed up when I'm half way across the room looking through an opaque or milky surface. Others can, just not me and I suspect many others.

Whatever you get, pics are a must.

AHM76

3 Year Member
View attachment 28128
The OW terrestrials are fast as well, but usually they run down!!

The fact is that all of them NW or OW are quicker then you are, quicker then flies and crickets are. Therefore, it should be done in an area where the T had no place to run or hide or hurt itself.

Do yourself a favor and get an enclosure that's well built where you only have to slightly open it to feed, water or maintain it. Above is one example which is a Jamie's arboreal that I lightly modified with a feeding port and a cork and a retainer.

The main thing with pokies, even mine, is that they have a horizontal circular or spiral pattern of movement. Simply getting an enclosure that opens up at the top is 95% of the battle.

In my opinion I can't emphasize it enough. The enclosure should be 100% transparent from all or most areas (bonded screen on top is ok) so that you can see exactly WHERE the spider is and WHAT it's body language is. I can't tell if the fangs spread a little bit apart or it just slightly tensed up when I'm half way across the room looking through an opaque or milky surface. Others can, just not me and I suspect many others.

Whatever you get, pics are a must.
Thanks for the tips. I like your modified enclosure...I was actually looking at some different sized clear plastic spice jars on Amazon with the flap lids so you can open only halfway if you want, good for feeding and or maintenance for possible future arboreal OW’s. I’ve done a bunch of research and decided on getting the g. iheringi and the m. balfouri, the latter is supposed to be a good starter OW (even though it’s not arboreal but that’s ok) and the former is supposed to be quite fast and defensive as well as being an aggressive eater which is something I wanted..I like species that love to eat! It makes feeding them more fun. I’ll be getting them next week with my g. pulchra and p. sazimai..I’ll post some pics then!
Thanks again for all the suggestions!

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I had a M balfouri, recently lost due to impaction, and they are great spiders. I never had any threat displays, just incredible displays of speed.

Once you get a web, & you will, just drop the feeder right in. Nothing could be easier.

Do the unpacking in the bathtub with the drain plugged and curtains pulled aside. Get a large plastic tote and a large bowl to fit inside of that. Then slowly and calmly unpack the tarantula.

AHM76

3 Year Member
I had a M balfouri, recently lost due to impaction, and they are great spiders. I never had any threat displays, just incredible displays of speed.

Once you get a web, & you will, just drop the feeder right in. Nothing could be easier.

Do the unpacking in the bathtub with the drain plugged and curtains pulled aside. Get a large plastic tote and a large bowl to fit inside of that. Then slowly and calmly unpack the tarantula.

Excellent. Thanks for the bathtub tip, such a great idea!

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Excellent. Thanks for the bathtub tip, such a great idea!

Just make sure to tightly plug the drain. Some spiders might be able to climb up the side, others not so much. I think safety in layers is best and always have one catch cup to each side with the totes exactly in the middle.

Greenbay1

3 Year Member
Welcome @AHM76 ! Former arachnophobic also. I've herped all my life and my wife was terrified of snakes. She got a baby amel corn snake and got over her fear. I decided to try a tarantula back in 2000 to get over my fear of spiders since it worked so well with my wife. That began my transition from herps to Ts. You'll love this forum!

Latest posts