• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Avicularia versicolor

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So my tarantula has been in the same spot for a few days. It isn't roaming around to look for food like it usually does. Could it be in the process of trying to molt?
When they molt they flip over onto their backs normally. Arboreals will molt inside of their webs and seal themselves in prior to molting.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I concur, all is well and typical behavior. Let it happen from this point on.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Awesome. I am super excited! Even with good care does this species have a low survival rate as a sling?
Eh it's debatable. I'd say they definitely seem to have a higher mortality rate than most species. However that is often due to the way some people keep them.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Awesome. I am super excited! Even with good care does this species have a low survival rate as a sling?

I haven't much experience, but as others have said, humidity is relatively important - DON'T over mist the environment, use a water dish and keep the substrate dry.
Perforate the sides of the enclosure for ventllation, all around, starting 1" above the substrate and stopping 1" below the lid/roof and NO HOLES in the top.

Other than that, use common T-keeper sense: don't overfeed and don't stress it out with bright lights or lots of intrusions, and re-home as little as possible.

We've had our A. versicolor for 2 months and 1 molt, all good. Here's a pic of our setup
20150921_195742.jpg

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Yes. It's like a little container mounted to the inside of the lid (think above ground swimming pool) about 1" deep to hold the substrate and water dish. The cork bark is fastened to the upper dome piece so it is removed with the dome (main part of the enclosure)

This way he can remove the base and place the dome on the table to service the substrate area and the spider is contained and safe inside the upper dome.
Very smart design, IMO
Dang! I should apply for a patent. Giving away my tricks of the trade? J/k [emoji6]
@ Ratmosphere, mine work very well. Easy to make and takes about an hour to complete. If, by chance, the feeder gets out of the substrate area, arboreals still catch them. I feed both roaches and crickets with no problems. Only remove the bottom when feeding or maintenance. Water is added through a vent hole using a syringe.

Ratmosphere

3 Year Member
Yesterday, I put my new heating tower to work. I set it on 72 degrees Fahrenheit for a few hours. This is when I noticed my sling moving around much more and webbing like crazy. About four hours pass and I see the sling inside a web and it wasn't moving at all. About a half hour later I could see the tarantula coming out of its molt. I am ecstatic that my T molted and is looking very healthy. I've come to the conclusion that keeping a stable temperature has a lot to do with how fast the sling will grow.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yesterday, I put my new heating tower to work. I set it on 72 degrees Fahrenheit for a few hours. This is when I noticed my sling moving around much more and webbing like crazy. About four hours pass and I see the sling inside a web and it wasn't moving at all. About a half hour later I could see the tarantula coming out of its molt. I am ecstatic that my T molted and is looking very healthy. I've come to the conclusion that keeping a stable temperature has a lot to do with how fast the sling will grow.
Well that's kind of a known fact already. Temperature does play a role in growth.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You might not need to rehouse it. It would help to see a picture of it so we can determine if it needs to be rehoused or not.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You can keep it in the current enclosure for one more molt if you wish.

Latest posts