• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Avicularia versicolor

Ratmosphere

3 Year Member
I have some questions to ask about housing my Avicularia versicolor sling. I usually mist the sides of its habitat every day to keep the humidity high. However, the substrate looks wet and even has some small white bubbles visible in it. Should I stop misting the sides until the substrate dries out? I provided a heat treated branch inside of the small enclosure so my spider could build a web and get off of the ground. When the tarantula gets bigger I would like to put it into a larger habitat. I have a well ventilated plastic enclosure ready for when my spider grows. It's set up with coconut fiber, sphagnum moss, and a fake plant. I'll also put the heat treated branch in there when the time comes. Would this substrate be suitable to house my tarantula or would I have to mix it with vermiculite? Should I replace the heat treated branch with a piece of cork bark? An other topic worth mentioning would be feeding. I already fed my T twice last week but I can't seem to find the cricket carcasses anywhere in the substrate. Would this be harmful to my tarantula if it keeps happening?

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Dry substrate and lots of holes on the SIDES of the enclosure for cross- ventilation. Stop misting. Moist cages creates stuffy air, which normally kills Avicularia. Don't obsess over humidity. So noobs do this and I just don't get it. A water dish will probably enough humidity.

Ratmosphere

3 Year Member
I've already drilled plenty of holes. It's not like I go crazy with the misting, I just do a few drops on the side like I do for my jumping spiders. However, they don't have substrate. Any other people care to help?

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've already drilled plenty of holes. It's not like I go crazy with the misting, I just do a few drops on the side like I do for my jumping spiders. However, they don't have substrate. Any other people care to help?
White spots as in moldy? If so, you can probably just spot clean it.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Our A. versicolor has a water dish and I mist weekly, only 1 pump against a side/leaf and the webbing.
This has been working well for us, but we've only had it 2 months (and 1 moult in our care)

Ratmosphere

3 Year Member
I'll have to get a tiny water dish to fit in its small enclosure. Thanks guys.

IMG_0555.JPG

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Looks cool

Check out Therasoid's threads and pic-posts. He made similar Avic housing but with the cap on the bottom so he removes the entire top from the base, never disturbing the webbing that might get attached to the lid. Plus Avics tend to run upwards when startled, away from the ground, so makes sense to service if from the bottom. YMMV

FWIW, I was advised against using real wood or other organics due to pests, mold, rot, etc. Cork bark is the premiere hardscape element along with silk or plastic plants.

Ratmosphere

3 Year Member
Does he use substrate? I'll be sure to pick up some cork bark pieces next time I go to the pet store or reptile expo.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Yes. It's like a little container mounted to the inside of the lid (think above ground swimming pool) about 1" deep to hold the substrate and water dish. The cork bark is fastened to the upper dome piece so it is removed with the dome (main part of the enclosure)

This way he can remove the base and place the dome on the table to service the substrate area and the spider is contained and safe inside the upper dome.
Very smart design, IMO

Ratmosphere

3 Year Member
That's a genius idea. Maybe I should use a hot glue gun to attach the water dish to the side of the enclosure? This way the feeder crickets wouldn't drown in the water.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I wouldn't attach it to the side, that would make maintenance more difficult, ie dead bug in water dish but you can't remove the dish.

I use a plastic cup (1oz deli cup) on top of the substrate - feeders don't wander into it as easily, and you can see the water level from a distance - the dish is more for humidity than actual drinking, but who knows what the Ts do when we're not looking. If you want to sink the water dish into the substrate you can glue one to a stand or rock to get the rim 1/2 above the substrate level, and use the cup-in-a-cup method so you can remove the one that holds the water and replace it with a fresh one into the "socket" or cup holder.

In addition to a water dish, I mist my Avic enclosure weekly, one pump, spraying only the wall and the webbing - they are known to drink off the webbing more than from a standing pool.

Ratmosphere

3 Year Member
Alright, tomorrow I'll glue two caps together making it elevated off the ground. Which online websites can I find small pieces of cork bark?

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Cork bark online is expen$$$ive - I got a hunk at a local pet shop but reptile shows are a great place to source it

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I remember someone showing me an online taxidermy site that sold cork bark in bulk for a reasonable price. Personally, I reuse mine If I can.

Ratmosphere

3 Year Member
So my tarantula has been in the same spot for a few days. It isn't roaming around to look for food like it usually does. Could it be in the process of trying to molt?

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It could be in pre-molt. If it doesn't eat, then yes.

Does it move at all (like not dead) if you touch the enclosure for instance?

Latest posts