• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

At last count, how many tarantulas are in your collection?

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
I like both of your choices. :) I have 3 recently acquired GBB and I love them. Beautiful colors and markings at all life stages and for both sexes. Plus, one of my favorite traits: They wanna eat!

I've been reading all I can find on L. parahybana, the salmon pink bird eater, and I've got one coming tomorrow. Very excited!

Any advantage or preference of one over the other? If you could only choose one, which one and why?
:T:
Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Any advantage or preference of one over the other? If you could only choose one, which one and why?
If you like colorful tarantulas that have the appetite of a Rottweiler then the GBB is for you. The change with each molt is unbelievable, they don't get anywhere near as large as LPs, but they share the appet, They are also heavy webbers as well. To top it all off, they are almost always visible. GBBs are good preparation for intermediate Sp. such as N. chromatus, E. murinus and P. platyomma as they are skittish

LPs are large tarantulas with amazing appetites, however they are not webbers (other than the molting mat), nor are they quite as stunning color wise. The advantage with them is price. LPs are readily available due to the fact that they drop massive egg sacs. LPs vary in temperament as all tarantulas do. I've heard many of them are docile, I've read others were skittish:defensive (mine was just straight defensive).

GBBs are definitely the better of the two.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club

Due to my very limited experience with GBB and no experience yet with Lp, I think PanzoN88 summed it all up well. Its personal preference.

Going by what I've read and seen:

I like the personality, big size and lack of webbing of the Lp better.
I like the color and appearance of the GBB better.

Neither or them hide all the time, and both are aggressive, greedy feeders, which I like. Heavy webbing is not appealing to me, but some people love it. Both are very hardy and easy keepers.

So do you want color or larger size? Heavy webbing, or light webbing? Each person's answers to these two questions will determine which one is better. Me? I couldn't decide, so I got both! :D Thank goodness I don't have to choose!

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
This is a conundrum (I finally got to use that word in a sentence!). I may get the LP first, then if that worx out get a GBB. Or vice versa. I guess it may come down to several factors. It's tough to choose. Thanx for the input.

Last edited:

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
This is a conundrum (I finally got to use that word in a sentence!). I may get the LP first, then if that worx out get a GBB. Or vice versa. I guess it may come down to several factors; tough to choose. Thanx for the input.

I think most of us on this forum are well versed in this conundrum, which is why we have this thread. :)

sdsnybny

3 Year Member
For what its worth you can always get a beautiful T that is right in between the two...... Gets 7-8", bulky, gorgoues colors, and a medium weber with personality. 1.1.0 Nhandu tripepii :) The MM is 6" for reference
2018-03-20 15.39.56.jpg
2018-06-02 17.40.14.jpg

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
0.1.0 Brachypelma albopilosum

0.1.2 Brachypelma albopilosum (Nicaraguan)

0.1.0 Brachypelma schroederi

0.1.0 Brachypelma hamorii

1.1.0 Brachypelma emilia

1.1.0 Brachypelma sabulosum

0.1.0 Acanthoscurria geniculata

0.1.0 Harpactira dictator (paired and looking gravid)

1.1.0 Euathlus Sp. red

0.0.2 Euathlus Sp. yellow

0.0.1 Aphonopelma johnnycashi

0.0.1 Phormictopus atrichromatus

0.2.0 Phormictopus cancerides

0.0.5 Grammastola pulchra

0.0.1 Grammastola pulchripes

0.0.2 Grammastola grossa (possible pair

0.0.2 Pamphobeteus platyomma

0.0.1 Augacephalus breyeri

0.0.1 Idiothele mira

0.0.1 caribena versicolor (almost forgot to list this one)

0.1.0 Eucratoscelus pachypus

0.0.1 Aphonopelma moderatum

0.1.0 Eupalaestrus campestratus

0.0.1 Orphnaecus Sp. "Cebu"

0.0.1 Psalmopoeus pulcher

0.0.1 Psalmopoeus cambridgei

0.0.1 Phrixotrichus scrofa

0.0.1 Pelinobius muticus

0.0.1 Grammastola porteri

@Tortoise Tom that is every tarantula I have in my collection.

As someone new to the hobby, what do the numbers before the T mean? I've seen this layout before but don't know. Hopefully this isn't a stupid question

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
As someone new to the hobby, what do the numbers before the T mean? I've seen this layout before but don't know. Hopefully this isn't a stupid question
If I've got it the right way around, 1.0.0 is a lone mature (confirmed sex at least )male, 0.1.0 =lone female ,0.0.1 = lone unsexed specimen. So 1.1.1 would mean one male, one female and one unsexed juvenile.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
If I've got it the right way around, 1.0.0 is a lone mature (confirmed sex at least )male, 0.1.0 =lone female ,0.0.1 = lone unsexed specimen. So 1.1.1 would mean one male, one female and one unsexed juvenile.

Spot on.:)

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

Cheers. I assumed something to do with quantity but wasn't too sure.

sdsnybny

3 Year Member
Slings soon???....;)
Unfortunately even though both were drumming to beat the band the MM wouldn't or couldn't lift here up all the way to get insert. The female was very receptive but wouldn't present her fangs for him to hook her and he just slipped off when trying to get a grip. I sat there monitoring them for 2 hours. He is a trooper and didnt stop trying till I separated them. If It was my MM and not a loan I would have left the together

Metalman2004

3 Year Member
Somehow I have too many and not enough at the same time...21 slings, 4 juvies and 14 adult/ subadults. Almost all of the adults are arboreal or GBBs. Juvies are all arboreal and the slings are mostly Hamorii that are offspring from my first T back in the hobby.

As of this week I added 3 M balfouri juvies, 1 G pulchra juvie and an adult (hopefully female) P metallica. CL deal for $170 including an exo terra nano tall.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have only 1 possible vacant slot on my shelf and it would be for another 8x8x12 ExoTerra nano. It would be right beside my wireless router and my TV. From testing, I've determined that the temp in the TV room is about 70 to 71. By the router, it's 2.5 to 3.2 degrees warmer.

What would I put there?

Confirmed sexed, small in size, female pokie. Cost of enclosure, size etc would be best. Probably P subfuscia highland would be the best because that's their sweetspot temperature.

Where to find one that won't kill my wallet is another story.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have only 1 possible vacant slot on my shelf and it would be for another 8x8x12 ExoTerra nano. It would be right beside my wireless router and my TV. From testing, I've determined that the temp in the TV room is about 70 to 71. By the router, it's 2.5 to 3.2 degrees warmer.

What would I put there?

Confirmed sexed, small in size, female pokie. Cost of enclosure, size etc would be best. Probably P subfuscia highland would be the best because that's their sweetspot temperature.

Where to find one that won't kill my wallet is another story.
I'm interested in the subfusca as well. I only have two poecis, my collection is lacking in that dept. A few subfuscas, a few rufilatas..maybe a few more mettalicas

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If you like colorful tarantulas that have the appetite of a Rottweiler then the GBB is for you. The change with each molt is unbelievable, they don't get anywhere near as large as LPs, but they share the appet, They are also heavy webbers as well. To top it all off, they are almost always visible. GBBs are good preparation for intermediate Sp. such as N. chromatus, E. murinus and P. platyomma as they are skittish

LPs are large tarantulas with amazing appetites, however they are not webbers (other than the molting mat), nor are they quite as stunning color wise. The advantage with them is price. LPs are readily available due to the fact that they drop massive egg sacs. LPs vary in temperament as all tarantulas do. I've heard many of them are docile, I've read others were skittish:defensive (mine was just straight defensive).

GBBs are definitely the better of the two.
I beg to differ. Lp's are impressive spiders. GBB are great, and gorgeous, but they just dont have the presence of the giants. Maybe if I hadnt held one several times I'd agree with you. Ever hold a giant? I recommend it. The weight, and the strength you feel in their legs, and the claws..and that was just a 7 1/2" MM...if you ever have a gentle giant, don't pass up the opportunity.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have a Lasiodora klugi already and she is indeed impressive. None of the Lasiodora species are really recommended for handling. They are pouncy spiders that think everything is food -- including you!!

She's a confirmed female, Justina by name.

L klugi Justina entity roach 2.jpg

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have a Lasiodora klugi already and she is indeed impressive. None of the Lasiodora species are really recommended for handling. They are pouncy spiders that think everything is food -- including you!!

She's a confirmed female, Justina by name.

View attachment 30747
Beautiful girl. I want to hold my big female Lp, but she's too skittish. And rather slap happy.