• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

another website

Miss Moxie

3 Year Member
I think you and thegreek would get along great on the AK files. In all seriousness, you don't really like anyone. You criticized me, Payden's channel, who knows what else?

As far as tweaking the state of Maryland via high capacity mags, which was what the entire thread was about over there if you bothered to read it at all, I stand by what I said. It's best not to taunt them over it.

If you go back to the first thing I said to you? I was very nice and tried to be helpful and you kept refusing to listen to the advice of experienced keepers, keepers even more experienced to me. This isn't a discussion on who I like, or Maryland's high capacity mags. It's about you trying to prove that space heaters are more dangerous than guns. Once more you prove you CANNOT stay on topic, or form an appropriate rebuttal.

So since you can't provide any sources that prove space heaters are the leading cause of fatal house fires, are you ready to concede?

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
OK. I feel responsible for starting this mess. For that I’m sorry. I LOVE my space heater. It keeps my Ts comfortable without dessication. Is it a risk. Sure. But, all things considered, it is the easiest option for me.

My own humble opinion here: Space heaters are helping my Ts stay healthy and comfortable without dessication.
Guns are good for one thing: killing.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just be careful either way. The system I have has kept the following numbers of animals alive and healthy.

1 adult h spinifer obtained last Baltimore repticon
23 h spinifer scorplings 1 of which I kept
1 c versicolor
1 l Klugi
1 m balfouri
1 p striata
1 h pulchripes (recent addition)

Zero failures. Zero fires. The secret is taking lots of readings top, bottom, in the substrate to prove the correct warming had happened. I've taken close to 2 dozen readings inside and out prior to putting in any animal into a cage.

Of course this needs to be done in the final position of the enclosure where it will function. Of course, only digital thermometers should be used.

Perhaps I'll even make a video on it at some point.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Guns?

In 1996 my AK prevented me from being killed by an intruder entering my home. No shots were fired. I banned the perp from the state!! :)

Since it's a PG site, I won't get into exactly what was said. I will state that I was exiting the shower and the rifle was under the bed because the case hasn't yet arrived in the mail. I only had it for 3 weeks and just one trip to the range.

Fortunately enough, I had loaded mags in anticipation for a second outing the next day.

Due to the Clinton ban,I got it as an investment.

I've never loaded it faster since!!

Miss Moxie

3 Year Member
OK. I feel responsible for starting this mess. For that I’m sorry. I LOVE my space heater. It keeps my Ts comfortable without dessication. Is it a risk. Sure. But, all things considered, it is the easiest option for me.

My own humble opinion here: Space heaters are helping my Ts stay healthy and comfortable without dessication.
Guns are good for one thing: killing.

No, no, no-- you didn't start it. It got started on AB when we told him to stop using heat lamps and he told us that space heaters are FAR TOO DANGEROUS to be allowed in -any- household, talked about how a single space heater would have the FBI on his doorstep looking for his marijuana plants, then made a 30 minute video on the evils of space heaters, promoting dangerous heat lamps over space heaters. The whole debacle starts here if you're interested at all. He revived an old thread to advise the use of heat lamps-- making it the SECOND time he's revived an old thread to advise the use of heat lamps. You can also see the pictures of his shelf where he's got -FIVE- space heaters and at least one heat-mat, right next to a bunch of plastic and cardboard/paper clutter.

He's delusional, and he cannot stay on topic or answer people's questions. As you see, he has nothing to say to the information I provided above, proving his claims wrong. But he responded to you, telling you once again to be careful of your deadly space heater and suggested heat lamps-- as he always does. I've kept over 100 Ts alive without heat lamps OR a space heater. Currently they're in my closet with a small personal heater that blows hot air. It's not pointed at them, it's just to raise the ambient temperatures in my closet to 70-80 depending on how cold it is outside. So saying that keeping six Ts alive (not counting scorpions, scorpions are not tarantulas and have different needs) with his methods doesn't -mean- anything. It's a moot point. Not to mention he's only had them for a few months.

And you're precisely right. Space heaters are -great- for raising ambient temperatures, without the dangers of desiccation. Yes-- they will dry out the air, but not nearly as rapidly as heat lamps. Space heaters were designed to heat a room. Guns were designed to kill. Space heaters are not dangerous unless used improperly, guns are always dangerous when used properly because their proper use is for one thing and one thing alone-- killing.

Last edited:

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Except none of my animals have been injured or killed. As typical, Moxie had pursued me from one forum to another.

Frankly, heating up 50 to 100+ square feet of area to warm up a few cages is wasteful. Movie would have me heat up an entire room to keep 7 cages warm. The money you're throwing away keeping an entire room at 80 degrees is ridiculous.

It's hypocritical to advocate doing something that is a threat to both yourself and your spiders in the one have while criticizing someone who safely warms up a few cages without incident.

The insurance regulations, bans, accident reports and even warnings from the manufacturers of heaters clearly states that they aren't for long term unsupervised use, for personal use or animal care or any other reason. (Reading the directions isn't cheating!!)

It shows a cult mentality. Moxie also demonstrates an inability to understand crime or firearm stats. 2 million is a bigger number them 35,000. I'm an armed guard. I carry for work each day. Before that, I worked in the armored truck area. I have yet to see a gun jump up off a table and shoot something all by itself.

Yes, people are violent and guns might change the order of mortality, but they don't increase the death rate since deterrents reduce all violent behavior and the criminal will choose other alternatives.

I'll keep my pets safe and warm. I can't stop anyone from torching their own homes. It will not be good for the hobby when (not if, when) a fire starts and the general public finds out that attempted tarantula husbandry is the cause.

Build a cabinet. Use a window mounted heat pump or learn to safely warm an enclosure the right way. If not, don't come crying to me.

And no, Moxie will not help you repair fire damages to your home.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

Miss Moxie

3 Year Member
I have been keeping an eye on the thread and decided that as it is in Off Topic Chit Chat there is no harm although I do think it a shame @Whitelightning777 and @Miss Moxie had to drag their AB arguments over here to TF.

Respectfully, he is the one who continues to post here about how he is going to go over to AB, then comes here talking about how we're monsters without providing both sides of the argument. If he doesn't want to argue on both websites then why make a thread about it on both websites? I am members here and on AB. If I see him talking about something there I don't agree with, I confront him there. When I see him talking about something here I don't agree with, I confront him here.

If there was no post about it here, I would not have posted about it here. He is the one who created two threads, one on both forums.

I also will politely point out that I said many times my argument was not rooted in the politics of banning guns.

Again, this isn't a gun-ban debate.

Merely, my point was he continues to talk about space heaters being dangerous while at the same time talking about how no one will take his guns.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Moxie went into the gun thing.

Why? Dunno.

I think the respective positions have been hashed out. I didn't link to any other forums or get to specific so I don't understand the problem.

Being chased back to akfiles!! That's pretty slick in a bizarre way. It sounds like I've got a drone over my shoulder!!

In any event, the dumping brass section over there is hilarious, might help some folks loosen up!!

Enjoy this pic of my Versicolor.
Charlotte 1-21-18 5.jpg

Metalman2004

3 Year Member
Ugh I can’t believe I’m adding to this but I am.
Zero failures. Zero fires. The secret is taking lots of readings top, bottom, in the substrate to prove the correct warming had happened. I've taken close to 2 dozen readings inside and out prior to putting in any animal into a cage.

Of course this needs to be done in the final position of the enclosure where it will function. Of course, only digital thermometers should be used.

I can’t believe I’m dragging myself into this, but I’m not going to pollute other threads with this same conversation.

@Whitelightning777 you make it clear in this quote that you must check with a digital thermometer, then check again, then take another dozen or two readings. So why are you in another thread this morning saying you use the “idiot proof method.” Quote:

“I use the idiot proof method. I put one hand on my forehead and feel the entire interior wherever the spider could possibly go irregardless of if they ever have gone there before. If it's got them my head or even worse burns to the touch, it's too darn hot.”

There may be a handful of things that I agree with you on, but the wild inconsistencies in your statements do us no good. Your setup may be safe if you check it a dozen times over, but telling people they should just touch it to see if its hot is just plain dangerous.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I should clarify. First I do the check by touching physically the enclosure and my forehead, then double back with the digital thermometer.

The attention to detail makes it idiot proof. It's redundancy that helps it work. Pointing a thermometer and touching something in my opinion is simple enough to teach a child to do it.

Although never recommended, there are plenty of people who handle their tarantulas with bare skin or have them perched upon the shoulder etc.

These animals don't suffer from acute heat exposure even though human body temperature is 98.6 internally. (Still to darn hot of course)

It's possible for something to be time consuming and idiot proof at the same time in my opinion.

I usually do one check at 2 hours of exposure and check again at 6 hours and lastly at 12 hours to be extra sure.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I should've clarified a bit more.

First, I do a check by hand, touching all interior areas that the tarantula can access as well as the outside of the cage.

Once that feels ok, I then double back with the digital thermometer.

It's a 2 step thing. Heck, when I was a kid 9 or 10 years old, I was successfully maintaining all the levels in a marine tank including salinity, pH, nitrogen cycle (ammonia nitrite nitrate etc) daily.

This stuff by comparison is super easy.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Someone's after my guns and tarantulas!?! They can have my bullets :mad:
Seriously though, @Whitelightning777 you must have really irritated someone, Miss Moxy chased you over here to continue arguing, even though she prefers that other ****ty forum, with all those ****ty people with their ****ty attitudes, and I've never seen a post from her here until now. You must have struck a nerve. Btw I use a space heater and guns as well. I'm pro gun and pro space heater. :T: :rolleyes:

Latest posts