• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A Seemanni a good first T?

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yes, I know that we're not all the same and so aren't the Ts. Maybe it's just me as a wimp new hobbyist, who doesn't like to recommend and encourage taking an OW in the bunch of very first Ts :rolleyes:
And in the end we all do and purchase whatever we want to, so I'm not even sure why I kept advising.
Actually it is good that you kept doing so. It is always good to start from the bottom and work up the ladder. When it comes to prospective hobbyists, it is always good to at least attempt to lead them in the right direction, it is their decision to follow the advice or not.

RachelC

3 Year Member
Yes, I know that we're not all the same and so aren't the Ts. Maybe it's just me as a wimp new hobbyist, who doesn't like to recommend and encourage taking an OW in the bunch of very first Ts :rolleyes:
And in the end we all do and purchase whatever we want to, so I'm not even sure why I kept advising.
I very much appreciate the advice! And you just verified what I was already thinking.

Baboons kinda scare me lol

Nunua

3 Year Member
@Arachnoclown - Well, I think kittens are fast, bitey little fuzzballs. :D

@RachelC - Good thing that you didn't take it wrongly. Of course all of us can take and do whatever we want and feel capable of doing to, but it'd be so sad if someone ends up with injuries or dead/injured T only because willingly biting off more they can handle :)

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I very much appreciate the advice! And you just verified what I was already thinking.

Baboons kinda scare me lol
That is a good state of mind for a beginner. I just got my first OW as a freebie in 10/2017 and i have been in the hobby since 2014. Back then in the back of my mind i really started admiring S. calceatum, but i never act on impulse, so i went steadily up the ladder. One day i will get that S. calceatum, but i don't feel i am ready (i am not confident that i am not ready, i am paranoid enough to know i am not ready). Keep thinking the way you are thinking, more beginners should do the same.

NukaMedia Exotics

3 Year Member
I bought my A. seemani BCF from a local pet shop about 6 months ago, about 3.5". Its been easy to take care of but it isn't a very good eater and stays in its burrow quite a bit. My first T was an L. parahybana sling and I think its a great starter, got it about a year ago. Yesterday I got an M. balfouri female and its very fast, definitely need to be comfortable with what you're doing before taking care of one...
IMG_3478.JPG IMG_0410.JPG
seemani left, balfouri right

Last edited:

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
In all seriousness, a lot of things can be worked out of you start with a sling and grow with the spider.

In my opinion, it's more important to start with a terrestrial one rather then an arboreal one. My M balfouri never once tried to bolt from the enclosure or bite anything up to and including the day she passed away.

Should you start with OW while not living in Australia?

Probably not.

But if you did, M balfouri wouldn't be a totally insane choice. Just drop food into the burrow or web unless the burrow is closed off. Full water dish. Wash, rinse, repeat. It's a standard Jamie's juvenile sling enclosure that you need.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I fail to see how it's irresponsible for an adult to own any species of tarantula. First spider or not. Nor do I think its right to discourage new hobbyists with the same ol crap thats been repeated by the meek and uncertain in this hobby for years..just my dos pesos, though, apparently this just won't go the hell away. By all means, preach whatever you want, ladders and all that horse pucky. Lol

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ahh. I apologize if any offense was given. I get very frustrated by this topic. I won't watch people being steered away from any species they want, and not say anything. Folks, these are spiders. We're human beings. Don't project onto people your own fears. Please and thank you.

smallbike

3 Year Member
I started out with a rescue spider on craigslist and didn’t even know what I was getting until I showed up to buy her - only to find out 2-3 weeks later she was an entirely different species than I was told. Turns out she’s an A. Seemanni and while I have nothing to compare her to, she’s been pretty chill as a first T, and she’s gotten me totally hooked on tarantulas!

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I bought my A. seemani BCF from a local pet shop about 6 months ago, about 3.5". Its been easy to take care of but it isn't a very good eater and stays in its burrow quite a bit. My first T was an L. parahybana sling and I think its a great starter, got it about a year ago. Yesterday I got an M. balfouri female and its very fast, definitely need to be comfortable with what you're doing before taking care of one...
View attachment 28557 View attachment 28558
seemani left, balfouri right

That seemani is one good looking T!!

Latest posts