• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A Seemanni a good first T?

RachelC

3 Year Member
Visited a local pet store today that I haven’t been to in years. They had a few Ts and I’m debating. Is an A seemanni a good beginner? I’m so tempted to go back and get one. :rolleyes:

Nunua

3 Year Member
I'm new in the hobby, but as far as I know, A. seemanni can be decent for a beginner as long as the owner has common sense. They're pretty hardy, easy to keep Ts but tend to be skittish, fast, and may have a ferocious feeding response.
Some more skittish individuals can throw a threat pose at you, but you'll find out the character of the individual by studying it's behavior. Therefore I'd say that if you feel comfortable having a more or less skittish T and respect its behavior, you should be absolutely fine.

Last edited:

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm new in the hobby, but as far as I know, A. seemanni can be decent for a beginner as long as the owner has common sense. They're pretty hardy, easy to keep Ts but tend to be skittish, fast, and may have a ferocious feeding response.
Some more skittish individuals can throw a threat pose at you, but you'll find out the character of the individual by studying it's behavior. Therefore I'd say that if you feel comfortable having a more or less skittish T and respect its behavior, you should be absolutely fine.
To add to what @Nunua said, I have heard that they like to burrow quite a bit, making them not always visible.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have one that currently is @ 142 days in her burrow. Shes not in premolt either. Just fasting. If you have patience for a T like this then they are a good beginner T. When she does come out shes great. She eats alot and is always out until.....it's time to fast.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
20170917_202641.jpg

RachelC

3 Year Member
I have one that currently is @ 142 days in her burrow. Shes not in premolt either. Just fasting. If you have patience for a T like this then they are a good beginner T. When she does come out shes great. She eats alot and is always out until.....it's time to fast.
So they tend to fast in the winter?

I’m thinking that’s a problem I’ll have with any Ts because we keep our house cold in the winter. Unless I get a space heater.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Any Lasiodora is also worth looking into. As they get larger, they come out more often. Since the growth rate is fast, it might even be better to get a sling or a juvenile. The adults of some species can be $$$

L Klugi Justina out 1.jpg
L klugi Justina molt 12-28-17_1.jpg

Nunua

3 Year Member
And I REALLY want an m balfouri, but I’m trying to control myself. :rolleyes:

I don't want to be boring, but I really, really, really don't recommend getting an OW tarantula just yet, no matter how beautiful it is or how much you want one. In most cases they are not beginner friendly, so I'd see taking one as relatively irresponsible decision. Though, this is just my opinion based on research I've done.

Last edited:

RachelC

3 Year Member
I don't want to be boring, but I really, really, really don't recommend getting an OW tarantula just yet, no matter how beautiful it is or how much you want one. In most cases they are not beginner friendly, so I'd see taking one as relatively irresponsible decision. Though, this is just my opinion based on research I've done.
Yeah, that’s why I’m trying to refrain. All of my research has led me to the same conclusion. I just have to remain strong! Lol

Nunua

3 Year Member
Well, to be honest, I'm not sure if a sensible breeder / seller even would sell an OW to a beginner :) But as far as I know, Casey K. knows very well what's the best not only for a new hobbyist, but also for the Ts :D

Last edited:

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Don’t forget...our awesome moderator started with an old world tarantula (OBT, I think). She is one of the best keepers that I know of, so....some people can start in the deep end and do quite well.

Nunua

3 Year Member
Yes, I know that we're not all the same and so aren't the Ts. Maybe it's just me as a wimp new hobbyist, who doesn't like to recommend and encourage taking an OW in the bunch of very first Ts :rolleyes:
And in the end we all do and purchase whatever we want to, so I'm not even sure why I kept advising.

Latest posts