• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

911 911 911 SOMEONE PLEASE ADVISE ME

terror_corpz

3 Year Member
Oh my that is fascinating! Do keep us updated on the forum! How long have they been housed together and are they slings or adults?
I got the 5 rufies at a exbo as 2nd instar slings and bought the regalis also a sling put them all in together they have been together for just over 7 months and have moulted 3 or 4 times I have a post on them on this forum which I update regularly

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

This guy does a very good job of informing potential and interested caretakers. Lol He refers to them as the Lamborghini of tarantulas! They are beautiful though! And seem relatively easy to care for, although knowing me I'd be up on a cot by it's enclosure doing the "tiger mom" thing :) I don't think I could ever keep a species that does not do well in captivity (the M. lambertoni he refers to) in such a small enclosure. Poor dear. no wonder she's not eating and has an attitude. I like the fact that they can't flick hairs, but I'd be careful of the speed and fangs. And by the by, my Lp, Pickles FINALLY started his molt yesterday. Shortly after I was wondering and might have posted to you when it would begin as he had been in preempt for 3 weeks! an hour later I go to check on him and he's flipped onto his back. Took him about 8 hours to break out, but this morning he seems fine. He's sleeping / resting in his hide. I am going to leave him alone for a few days and maybe then try ro go in with tweezers to do a gentle clean up. So exciting. My scorplings are thriving, Jewlz my GBB is happily webbing up her enclosure, and my Dubias are breeding. All is good in my little world :) Off to work for me. Thanks so much for all your support. It's nice to have an informed and intelligent hobbyist to turn to and to communicate with. Have a great day.
Its fun sharing and being taught as well,I learn new things each day its just awesome to say the least. I am glad for the good molt,as they grow my stress level grows each molt since it takes more out of them and recuperating takes so much longer. I love the M.balfouri,they are stunning easy care sheet and aren't aggressive towards their own from my experience so far and other hobbyists comments.

Rick Stallard

3 Year Member
Hi I currently have a communal of 5 rufilatas and 1 regalis all living together ive been doing regular updates on it its my first shot at this but it's very interesting you should check it out there's a few posts on here about communals

I've been watching your progress. How have things been going, now that they are getting larger.

terror_corpz

3 Year Member
Hi yes they are doing really well at the mo touch wood they moulted last week and getting some size on them I will hopefully be putting some pics up if I can get some good shots it will be easier when there bigger cause they will eventually go in a exo terra tank

Lady Lilith

3 Year Member
I got the 5 rufies at a exbo as 2nd instar slings and bought the regalis also a sling put them all in together they have been together for just over 7 months and have moulted 3 or 4 times I have a post on them on this forum which I update regularly

Oh my! Do you document your findings? I keep most of my data in a regular old notebook. It's neat going back a year or so ago and reading both the successful changes in my critters and my increasing knowledge. Don't see any lessening of my anxiety level over new learning scenarios though. LOL. Good for you. And phooey to all those "pro's" out there who think they know everything :)

Lady Lilith

3 Year Member
Its fun sharing and being taught as well,I learn new things each day its just awesome to say the least. I am glad for the good molt,as they grow my stress level grows each molt since it takes more out of them and recuperating takes so much longer. I love the M.balfouri,they are stunning easy care sheet and aren't aggressive towards their own from my experience so far and other hobbyists comments.

lol I know what you mean about stress level increasing. I was just responding to a post by a member here who has a VERY interesting communal set up that I keep data on my observations and learning experiences regarding my T's and Scorps. I occasionally, especially if I'm befuddled for an answer, go back to the beginning when I began my entrance into this hobby some 25 years ago now and it's fun to see my changing knowledge base, courage and confidence to take on ever increasing "difficult" critters to care for, and love to see how they flourish. I've never had a loss yet, and I've had, before these, 2 G. rosea, two Asian Forest scorpions, a Mantid (THAT was great! They are very attached to their human companions, kind of like a dog might be :) but their life span is very short) a Monarch butterfly, if you can believe that! I found it on the sidewalk slowly crawling along in the summertime when I was living in San Antonio, TX. When I bent to inspect it I found a small circular sticker that read US Navy. Not a clue as to why it had this sticker on it unless the Navy is doing some experimental breeding program who knows. Maybe they're mating a Godzilla with a Monarch?? Ha! Here comes Mothra! lol) Anyway, I gently took her into my house and placed her on a ficus tree in my bedroom and laid out a petri dish of the water I make for my hummingbird feeders and added an extra drop of honey to the mix. Wasn't sure what the result would be and was nervous it would be too much for her/him but I called it a her :) She landed on that dish and stayed there with her little proboscis drinking up that energy drink for about 8 minutes. She flew back to the tree and rested, drank again for about 2 minutes and began flying around the room. I released her about a day after that and she flew off into the sunset never to be seen again. True story and a great experience! I've rehabbed an armadillo, two squirrel babies, and a raccoon. I know my limits, though, when it comes to time I have to spend caring for my collections so I never go outside of that box only because I would not want to bring a soul into my world I couldn't care for properly, although I have spent oodles and oodles of money purchasing accessories that make their environments as close to home as possible. A Monsoon, a mistaking, aquariums, feeder colony starter kits, etc. etc. etc. I am a social worker who helps homeless teens in the inner city so maybe it's just in my blood :)

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
lol I know what you mean about stress level increasing. I was just responding to a post by a member here who has a VERY interesting communal set up that I keep data on my observations and learning experiences regarding my T's and Scorps. I occasionally, especially if I'm befuddled for an answer, go back to the beginning when I began my entrance into this hobby some 25 years ago now and it's fun to see my changing knowledge base, courage and confidence to take on ever increasing "difficult" critters to care for, and love to see how they flourish. I've never had a loss yet, and I've had, before these, 2 G. rosea, two Asian Forest scorpions, a Mantid (THAT was great! They are very attached to their human companions, kind of like a dog might be :) but their life span is very short) a Monarch butterfly, if you can believe that! I found it on the sidewalk slowly crawling along in the summertime when I was living in San Antonio, TX. When I bent to inspect it I found a small circular sticker that read US Navy. Not a clue as to why it had this sticker on it unless the Navy is doing some experimental breeding program who knows. Maybe they're mating a Godzilla with a Monarch?? Ha! Here comes Mothra! lol) Anyway, I gently took her into my house and placed her on a ficus tree in my bedroom and laid out a petri dish of the water I make for my hummingbird feeders and added an extra drop of honey to the mix. Wasn't sure what the result would be and was nervous it would be too much for her/him but I called it a her :) She landed on that dish and stayed there with her little proboscis drinking up that energy drink for about 8 minutes. She flew back to the tree and rested, drank again for about 2 minutes and began flying around the room. I released her about a day after that and she flew off into the sunset never to be seen again. True story and a great experience! I've rehabbed an armadillo, two squirrel babies, and a raccoon. I know my limits, though, when it comes to time I have to spend caring for my collections so I never go outside of that box only because I would not want to bring a soul into my world I couldn't care for properly, although I have spent oodles and oodles of money purchasing accessories that make their environments as close to home as possible. A Monsoon, a mistaking, aquariums, feeder colony starter kits, etc. etc. etc. I am a social worker who helps homeless teens in the inner city so maybe it's just in my blood :)
I say,as long as you're happy nothing else matters. If you have a love for something,nourish it.

Latest posts