• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

911 911 911 SOMEONE PLEASE ADVISE ME

Rick Stallard

3 Year Member
I am in Missouri and our winters are cold. I have all my Ts in mostly shoebox size containers with a few larger and smaller for slings. I have them stacked on top of each other on shelves. 3 sides are now covered in foam board and in the summer with screen. The screen is for ventilation, allows some but not too much. The winter foam board holds in heat. On one side I have 22 various containers all heated using a hanging 150w ceramic heater. It points down from the top. The second shelf has 9 containers and has the same ceramic heater only a 100w. On the front I have a large piece of foam board that acts as a cover. It is removed to gain access but holds in the heat and keeps it darker. Both sides stay at around 78-85. I water almost everyday and give everybody, yes everybody no matter what species, a mist twice a week. You will read and be told some of this is wrong, but thats just someones opinion. My Ts eat like crazy, move around a lot (don't hide), and molt with ease because of humidity and molt quite often. that may be my one problem, I feed them too much. All my Ts have grown very fast, but at the same time, they are in excellent condition. Active and healthy. So I would say my set-up works.

Lady Lilith

3 Year Member
I am in Missouri and our winters are cold. I have all my Ts in mostly shoebox size containers with a few larger and smaller for slings. I have them stacked on top of each other on shelves. 3 sides are now covered in foam board and in the summer with screen. The screen is for ventilation, allows some but not too much. The winter foam board holds in heat. On one side I have 22 various containers all heated using a hanging 150w ceramic heater. It points down from the top. The second shelf has 9 containers and has the same ceramic heater only a 100w. On the front I have a large piece of foam board that acts as a cover. It is removed to gain access but holds in the heat and keeps it darker. Both sides stay at around 78-85. I water almost everyday and give everybody, yes everybody no matter what species, a mist twice a week. You will read and be told some of this is wrong, but thats just someones opinion. My Ts eat like crazy, move around a lot (don't hide), and molt with ease because of humidity and molt quite often. that may be my one problem, I feed them too much. All my Ts have grown very fast, but at the same time, they are in excellent condition. Active and healthy. So I would say my set-up works.
Hi Rick and THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!! I KNEW there had to be something amiss in most of the advice I was being given. It just didn't fit with my T's behavior. I watched closely during the summer months when it got to around 90 in New York, and their eating habits went up, their molting progressed rapidly, and I made sure to mist at least once or twice a week as well as keeping the water dishes full. I have a spare ceramic heater which I will think of replacing the IR bulb with, the IR is just easier for me because if I see the "light" I can see where the heat is being directed. Thank you again. I'm certain most folks on some other board sites think I'm a bit fanatical, but if I am I am so because of all the varying information, and some found in the book by Stan Schultz is just way off. For example: He states when referring to the GBB that they are almost exclusively terrestrial. Bull poop! My GBB Jewlz NEVER hardly EVER comes down from the web she has at the top of the cage. In all of her enclosure's as she's grown from 3/4" to her now 3.5" or so DLS she has preferred to remain at the top of her enclosure, so much so that I've now housed her in an arboreal enclosure. At any rate, I thank you for your input. And good luck this winter season in Missouri. I hear the weather is going to be brutal! Have a happy holiday season,

Kelly, Pickles, Jewlz, Dio, and Lita :)

Rick Stallard

3 Year Member
Your very welcome. I know which board you are talking about. I have pretty much left that one because of all the very rude people there. They seem to think their way is the right way and everybody else is wrong. You get 20 of them like that replying and you can guess how that turns out. They love to rip apart newbies asking questions. I can really care less if my way of keeping my Ts is right or wrong. I know it works for me and I bet it works for many others. To hell with what a book says, real life is much better. I pretty much keep everyone of my Ts in the same conditions, with VERY little change from one to another. A couple here and Many there, will say you can't do that, it won't work, you have to do it this way. Well, ya know what, YOU DON"T ! There's nothing wrong with your GBB, thats what it wants to do, it likes it. I have so-called arboreals that have very nice high climbs, but choose to stay on the floor.

Lady Lilith

3 Year Member
Your very welcome. I know which board you are talking about. I have pretty much left that one because of all the very rude people there. They seem to think their way is the right way and everybody else is wrong. You get 20 of them like that replying and you can guess how that turns out. They love to rip apart newbies asking questions. I can really care less if my way of keeping my Ts is right or wrong. I know it works for me and I bet it works for many others. To hell with what a book says, real life is much better. I pretty much keep everyone of my Ts in the same conditions, with VERY little change from one to another. A couple here and Many there, will say you can't do that, it won't work, you have to do it this way. Well, ya know what, YOU DON"T ! There's nothing wrong with your GBB, thats what it wants to do, it likes it. I have so-called arboreals that have very nice high climbs, but choose to stay on the floor.

HI Rick,
You can't see me, but I am giving you a standing ovation right now :) The only change I've made is to bite the bullet and raise the ambient temp in my personal environment and replace the 75W IR bulb over the T's tanks with a 40W IR bulb, just so they do get some warmth to combat the unusual cold and at the same time not dry out their environment too much. And I agree, with your review of the "other" board (I'm guessing Arachnoboards?). A lot of the responses were very, very rude and was able to see the differences immediately between that one and this one. More like "home", or at least a group of like minded and tolerant friends who meet at the library once a week or so :) IF that makes any sense. Well, I thank you again for putting my mind at ease and will keep the conditions as they are. Not sure what to look for if it's too hot or dry for them though. Would you know? Hard to tell with T's, they don't usually stand up and say "Uh, human guardian of mine, I'm not feeling up to par, would you mind turning down the heat or adding some more water for me please and thank you?" :)

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello
Let me put it this way,every T has a low or high threshold. Like a GBB,it is a desert semi terrestrial it can handle higher heat same as your brachypelma. I haven't used a heat lamp at all,I use a air-conditioning unit controlling my T-room temps thus it is 28 during the day and 20-22 drop at night. In my room I have different specimens different genera,and all are doing well. I will be honest,I haven't deviated to test outside the normal threshold so far. As stated above,I believe brachypelma GBB those type of tarantulas should have a higher threshold for heat so will others with low temps etc.

Rick Stallard

3 Year Member
Lady Lilith, yes thats the one :( I've been there some today and it's a freaking madhouse. As far as being to wet, I'm not sure what to watch for since I've never had that problem. I "think" they start climbing the sides and stay of the floor. Being to dry, well mine will hang around the water bowl, that even in a dry condition would still be the most moist. I've got a P cambridgei that has to have it very moist. He will go sit IN his water bowl and does not move when I pour water in it. Just sits there wet. Thats telling me I need to pay more attention to him as far as humidity. Maybe Martin or others, can chime in on how his might act if to wet or dry.

Lady Lilith

3 Year Member
I'm laughing at the thought of a T in a water dish. Although, I once saw an Emp Scorpion SWIMMING through his, purposefully and for an extended period of time so who knows. I wonder what goes on in their minds, if you'll allow me to use that term in relation to our critters, when they have to tolerate us Humans in their lives :)

Lady Lilith

3 Year Member
Hello
Let me put it this way,every T has a low or high threshold. Like a GBB,it is a desert semi terrestrial it can handle higher heat same as your brachypelma. I haven't used a heat lamp at all,I use a air-conditioning unit controlling my T-room temps thus it is 28 during the day and 20-22 drop at night. In my room I have different specimens different genera,and all are doing well. I will be honest,I haven't deviated to test outside the normal threshold so far. As stated above,I believe brachypelma GBB those type of tarantulas should have a higher threshold for heat so will others with low temps etc.
Thank you so much Martin. It's very good to know these things. As long as they molt, eat, and are NOT sitting in their water dishes, lol Rick, then all must be well. So glad to be here ;)

Lady Lilith

3 Year Member
Hello

Hi again Martin,

forgive my ignorance and I've tried to find the answer through Bing searches, and I have seen the LP on the Brachypelma list here, but no where else. Should I assume that I should care for it in the fashion listed here and Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi again Martin,

forgive my ignorance and I've tried to find the answer through Bing searches, and I have seen the LP on the Brachypelma list here, but no where else. Should I assume that I should care for it in the fashion listed here and Thanks in advance :)
Hello
I have an opposite way of caring for my Tarantulas at times,like my Lp is kept on dry substrate with a water dish. Now and then I'd mist a side,or just the lid nothing more. In my opinion and I have mentioned this on another board,you have to take your own climate into consideration as well. I use an air conditioner so mine is kept constant,making it easier to control the environment.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi again Martin,

As for ignorance,no one knows everything so we are all ignorant in some way. This hobby,no matter how old is still in its infancy just my 2cents haha.

Last edited:

Lady Lilith

3 Year Member
Thank you so much Martin. It's very good to know these things. As long as they molt, eat, and are NOT sitting in their water dishes, lol Rick, then all must be well. So glad to be here ;)
Hello
I have an opposite way of caring for my Tarantulas at times,like my Lp is kept on dry substrate with a water dish. Now and then I'd mist a side,or just the lid nothing more. In my opinion and I have mentioned this on another board,you have to take your own climate into consideration as well. I use an air conditioner so mine is kept constant,making it easier to control the environment.
Thank you. My LP is a big ole lazy bugger for sure! I keep the substrate dry, too, and overflow the water dish about every other day. I do mist maybe once or twice a week on the water dish side. Right now he has been in pre-molt for about 3 weeks! Went from being a bald, white HUGE abdomen to a HUGE jet black abdomen and now has laid down a web mat under his bark hide. 3 weeks for a 3.5-4" DLS LP to molt! Agonizing for an expectant mother, so to speak :) Thanks for all your help. It's nice to know I have a friendly place to go when I'm panicked with a gazillion questions :) And I did change my 75W IR to a 60W Ceramic last night. Jewelz is still hanging out in the corner where the heat hits her cage. C'est la vie. That's what she likes so let her have it :) Have a great night

Lady Lilith

3 Year Member
As for ignorance,no one knows everything so we are all ignorant in some way. This hobby,no matter how old is still in its infancy just my 2cents haha.

HOLY COW you have a HUGE collection!! where do you keep them all???? I'd love to try a communal set up one day and I love colorful or unique looking T's. What would you recommends for maybe a 20 gal tank?

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
HOLY COW you have a HUGE collection!! where do you keep them all???? I'd love to try a communal set up one day and I love colorful or unique looking T's. What would you recommends for maybe a 20 gal tank?
Hello
There has been a lot of debate on communal setups,I would go with M.Balfouri or P.regalis to start with. Remember,at any given time it can go bad I won't try and sugarcoat it. Some go on for years no problems, others over night carnage. I am starting to love the M.Balfouri a lot,little care and stunning tarantula also go and google maternal care from these specimens its awesome.

terror_corpz

3 Year Member
Hi I currently have a communal of 5 rufilatas and 1 regalis all living together ive been doing regular updates on it its my first shot at this but it's very interesting you should check it out there's a few posts on here about communals

Lady Lilith

3 Year Member
Hi I currently have a communal of 5 rufilatas and 1 regalis all living together ive been doing regular updates on it its my first shot at this but it's very interesting you should check it out there's a few posts on here about communals
Oh my that is fascinating! Do keep us updated on the forum! How long have they been housed together and are they slings or adults?

Lady Lilith

3 Year Member
Yes they are,but please go and check their maternal instincts etc on YouTube. Remember,the greater the effort the greater reward haha.

This guy does a very good job of informing potential and interested caretakers. Lol He refers to them as the Lamborghini of tarantulas! They are beautiful though! And seem relatively easy to care for, although knowing me I'd be up on a cot by it's enclosure doing the "tiger mom" thing :) I don't think I could ever keep a species that does not do well in captivity (the M. lambertoni he refers to) in such a small enclosure. Poor dear. no wonder she's not eating and has an attitude. I like the fact that they can't flick hairs, but I'd be careful of the speed and fangs. And by the by, my Lp, Pickles FINALLY started his molt yesterday. Shortly after I was wondering and might have posted to you when it would begin as he had been in preempt for 3 weeks! an hour later I go to check on him and he's flipped onto his back. Took him about 8 hours to break out, but this morning he seems fine. He's sleeping / resting in his hide. I am going to leave him alone for a few days and maybe then try ro go in with tweezers to do a gentle clean up. So exciting. My scorplings are thriving, Jewlz my GBB is happily webbing up her enclosure, and my Dubias are breeding. All is good in my little world :) Off to work for me. Thanks so much for all your support. It's nice to have an informed and intelligent hobbyist to turn to and to communicate with. Have a great day.

Latest posts