• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Your thoughts on this terrarium? "zoo med creature den low"

Tomb Spider

It would have the perfect dimensions to put on my shelfes and it looks really nice in my opinion. I would like to know if there would be any spider or scorpion species which I could keep into.
I'm just not sure if it's any good, because it seems this enclosure has no ventilation on the sides or front, just a huge mesh on top. In my experience this is very bad if the earth has to be a bit damp/ if you need more humidity. I kept my first spider about 2 weeks in a faunarium. the cork bark and pieces of platan tree bark began to mould quickly, so immediately I had to put her out into her final home (kept the soil 100% turf from zoo med damp not wet).

maybe I could keep there a species that needs low humidity and sand as substrate?
Some desert spider/scorpion?

PS: A short unboxing of the Zoo Med creatures den low (6 gallon tank)

Strange question, for sure...

Blackdog

A 10 gallon aquarium turned over on its side with conversion kit to make it terrestrial. They also make conversion kits to do arboreal setups with 10 gallon. I used iheartgeckos conversion kit and am quite happy-but there are many other makers on the internet so please research and find what you like best. you have several choices for the aquarium- thin frame, thick frame, frameless and the conversion kits are locked in with aquarium silicone.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The enclosure looks good for terrestrial desert species. But looking at the video I am not keen on the bits that comes with the enclosure. Things like thermometers are a waste of time. And those commercial water bowls never hold water for me. So I use things like peanut butter lids etc. Which do hold water.

The enclosure would be fine for an adult tarantula. or a largish scorpion. I keep a Thai forest scorpion (Heterometrus cimrmani,) in something similar. If you have never kept scorpions before the cimrimani makes a great introduction species, they are easy yo keep & reasonably sizeable.

Tomb Spider

Could I keep 2 Israel Large Claw Scorpion (Scorpio maurus palmatus) in there?
I would keep there rather a desert species, since the terrarium has no side venting, so I would keep humidity rather low.

Scorpions are fasciniating, just as spiders to me, so defenitely want to put a scorpion (or 2) in there. Also, I need a scorpion now after I have some spiders now ;)

Thanks in advance.

Blackdog

I would keep there rather a desert species, since the terrarium has no side venting, so I would keep humidity rather low.

Scorpions are fasciniating, just as spiders to me, so defenitely want to put a scorpion (or 2) in there. Also, I need a scorpion now after I have some spiders now ;)

Thanks in advance.

Good luck and Hope they don't breed - HAHA

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I've got a few of them...well worth the price, The crap they give you with it is that...crap. The enclosures are solid though.
20220713_211956.jpg

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

Possibly not, as they would probably need more space to live with each other. They do live reasonably close to each other in the wild. BUT.... I have not heard of anyone who has done it in captivity, as they are cannibalistic. But it could possibly be done in the right enclosure. My guess would be, floor space & lots of cover (hiding places) as a key to a successful captivity communal.

Also, as I understand it, Scorpio maurus palmatus like deep burrows, so an enclosure with more depth, as well as more floor space, would probably be advisable. But that is just a guess, as I do not keep this species.

Latest posts