• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

World's dumbest unboxing questions

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
You know, this really makes me think. Maybe people should have an appropriate enclosure lined up before they purchase the tarantula.

Just a thought though, probably a silly idea.

:D:D. That's what I've been doing tonight, working out what containers I need to get before next years incoming Ts.

Miss Moxie

3 Year Member
:D:D. That's what I've been doing tonight, working out what containers I need to get before next years incoming Ts.

That's what experienced, sensible keepers do anyway.

Now he's on 'another' forum talking about how he'd rehouse his C. versicolor into that first enclosure he showed us here, after telling us specifically he was going to use it for a Poecilotheria. :rolleyes:

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
That's what experienced, sensible keepers do anyway.

Now he's on 'another' forum talking about how he'd rehouse his C. versicolor into that first enclosure he showed us here, after telling us specifically he was going to use it for a Poecilotheria. :rolleyes:

I have a garage full of wood vivariums (I must get some sold) that are left from my snake days but I buy new glass or acrylic containers for my Ts as I don't find the wood vivs suitable for the Ts. I do keep the smaller containers in vivs to keep the cats off them.

Miss Moxie

3 Year Member
I have a garage full of wood vivariums (I must get some sold) that are left from my snake days but I buy new glass or acrylic containers for my Ts as I don't find the wood vivs suitable for the Ts. I do keep the smaller containers in vivs to keep the cats off them.

The website I buy my DIY arboreal enclosures from had a coupon for 25% while ALSO offering free shipping on orders over $99. Long story short, I spent $105 on 24 containers for the future.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The website I buy my DIY arboreal enclosures from had a coupon for 25% while ALSO offering free shipping on orders over $99. Long story short, I spent $105 on 24 containers for the future.

Great bargain, I don't blame you for grabbing as many as possible. I tend to use Cadbury boxes as they are so clear but they are getting dearer. I'm hoping I won't need many more as some of their current occupants are growing fast and will soon be moving into the Polish glass containers that are really cheap.

Miss Moxie

3 Year Member
Great bargain, I don't blame you for grabbing as many as possible. I tend to use Cadbury boxes as they are so clear but they are getting dearer. I'm hoping I won't need many more as some of their current occupants are growing fast and will soon be moving into the Polish glass containers that are really cheap.

I wish we had an option like those over here. Honestly I'm surprised that someone hasn't taken the design and started reproducing it here. Perhaps there is a patent on the design that stops them from doing so. If I was more confident with my glass-terrarium building talents I'd give it a shot.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I wish we had an option like those over here. Honestly I'm surprised that someone hasn't taken the design and started reproducing it here. Perhaps there is a patent on the design that stops them from doing so. If I was more confident with my glass-terrarium building talents I'd give it a shot.

They'd sell well over there I'm sure, such a great design.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You know, this really makes me think. Maybe people should have an appropriate enclosure lined up before they purchase the tarantula.

Just a thought though, probably a silly idea.

Totally!! Never use a Mantis cage either. I'd get her (my Versicolor)out of there, but she's in premolt again and I don't want to wreck the web.

As soon as I get 2.5" maybe 3" she's outta there and that enclosure is going bye bye. As soon as she can go toe to toe with the feeders without the web as a crutch, time to leave!!

I'm not sure what I'll do with that vacant enclosure. I could do an arboreal as a type of V shape with cork bark with a round in the middle highest position, a natural hiding place with smaller plastic plants in the lower corners.

Think about it like a sniper's nest where she could easily target anything and do a web high dead center but not on the lid. Just drop food in & be happy.

It would look nice but still be a bit too tight for an adult.

Miss Moxie

3 Year Member
That vacant enclosure is not a good option for arboreals because Poecioltheria need a lot of height for more substrate -and- enough vertical space in addition for corkbark and it's not good for Avicularia/Caribena/Ybyrapora because they need cross ventilation when they're at the size that enclosure would comfortably fit.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Mah... I've rehoused/transfer dozens of OW's fast as hell T's and I've never used kinda 'precautions' of all sorts aside the 'know how', right 'tools' and Zen Monk attitude.

Velcro, not velcro etc... spiders are the ones scared, no matter :)
damn, I shoulda had a few more beers at lunch to understand this one :p

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That vacant enclosure is not a good option for arboreals because Poecioltheria need a lot of height for more substrate -and- enough vertical space in addition for corkbark and it's not good for Avicularia/Caribena/Ybyrapora because they need cross ventilation when they're at the size that enclosure would comfortably fit.

That's one drawback. You can't drill glass but with an entire open top there's no way of gets stuffy in there. I found that even if you put an inch of hot water on the bottom, humidity isn't much different than what's on the room. If you mist it, it returns to outside humidity in 4 hours. To keep it humid, you cover up part of it with plastic.

An advantage is that it's ironclad tight, escape absolutely impossible even with the cat around. I'm sure that is good for something.

Miss Moxie

3 Year Member
That's one drawback. You can't drill glass but with an entire open top there's no way of gets stuffy in there. I found that even if you put an inch of hot water on the bottom, humidity isn't much different than what's on the room. If you mist it, it returns to outside humidity in 4 hours. To keep it humid, you cover up part of it with plastic.

An advantage is that it's ironclad tight, escape absolutely impossible even with the cat around. I'm sure that is good for something.

That doesn't matter if it doesn't get stuffy in there. Adult Avicularia/Caribena/Ybyrapora can do fine in an enclosure with only top down ventilation but until they're adults they need CROSS VENTILATION. And that enclosure isn't big enough for an adult, so that makes it unsuitable.

You're the first one to crow about the environment they live in naturally. Arboreal tarantulas live in trees where there are cross breezes, not where the air moves down against them from above and that's it.

That enclosure isn't suitable for an arboreal tarantula.

Miss Moxie

3 Year Member
I don't know about needing cross vent, if you put enough on the top, you're fine imo.

Ehhh, I disagree. I mean you might be right but I just think cross ventilation does a better job at keeping things from getting stuffy. I've always offered it to my Avic/Caribena/Ybyrapora and I actually see them hanging out near the vent holes quite often.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ehhh, I disagree. I mean you might be right but I just think cross ventilation does a better job at keeping things from getting stuffy. I've always offered it to my Avic/Caribena/Ybyrapora and I actually see them hanging out near the vent holes quite often.
agreed, top ventilation only moves the air around the top part of the enclosure, the bottom half (or more) can remain unchanged and become stagnant, thus the need for cross ventilation. Many believe now that SADs was caused by poor ventilation.

Venom2090

3 Year Member
Maybe. I see breeders in Canada raising and breeding avics in kritter keepers. Thats enough evidence for me.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Maybe. I see breeders in Canada raising and breeding avics in kritter keepers. Thats enough evidence for me.

Maybe it works because they drill holes to give cross ventilation, Kritter Keepers are plastic and easily drilled.

Latest posts