• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

World's dumbest unboxing questions

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
When introducing a fast or defensive T into is new enclosure, why does the lid of the enclosure have to be open?

Wouldn't it be easier to tape or Velcro the vial to either the side or the floor, loosen but do not remove the lid after taping or gluing a string on it and then close the door put the string through a vent hole and open it up with the doors all closed?

Could a T kick the padding away and escape itself? Not that I'm planning on that, just watching too many YouTube obt videos!!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have found from experience that the easiest way to rehouse any T , large or small, is to have at least 2 lines of defence. For larger Ts I spread a white sheet on the floor (so an escaping T can be easily seen), on top of that I have a 9l plastic box and inside that a cricket tub or a 3l box depending on the Ts size. For tiny slings I don't bother with the sheet. I place the new container inside the 9l box then holding the vial in the smaller tub remove as much packing as possible until I can nudge the T out into its new home with a brush. Hopefully that is job done but if the T makes a run for freedom it usually lands in the smaller tub when it can soon be caught in a catch cup. If it should escape the small tub it will still be inside the 9l box and should it escape that it will easily be caught the white sheet.

I don't think your idea would work as to put enough pull on the string to remove the lid, the vial would just come loose

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i just leave the vial in the enclosure, remove the lid and the top "lid" of paper towel. Let it crawl out on it's own. Usually the defensive ones will use it as a hide for a while. After they venture out and find the real hide i remove the vial.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Most aren't raptors, but I was asking about the real real nasty ones like OBT or H. Minax or the Singapore blue, especially when full sized.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have found from experience that the easiest way to rehouse any T , large or small, is to have at least 2 lines of defence. For larger Ts I spread a white sheet on the floor (so an escaping T can be easily seen), on top of that I have a 9l plastic box and inside that a cricket tub or a 3l box depending on the Ts size. For tiny slings I don't bother with the sheet. I place the new container inside the 9l box then holding the vial in the smaller tub remove as much packing as possible until I can nudge the T out into its new home with a brush. Hopefully that is job done but if the T makes a run for freedom it usually lands in the smaller tub when it can soon be caught in a catch cup. If it should escape the small tub it will still be inside the 9l box and should it escape that it will easily be caught the white sheet.

I don't think your idea would work as to put enough pull on the string to remove the lid, the vial would just come loose

What you would do is to take it 99% off of the vial, but not remove it so barely any tension is holding it at all. Still, I get the point.

Thistles

3 Year Member
Most aren't raptors, but I was asking about the real real nasty ones like OBT or H. Minax or the Singapore blue, especially when full sized.
Just put the container in and let them come out on their own. When I was new I used the bag method with the naughty ones but now I just do it like any other in a closed room.

This weekend I'll be packing adult pokies, a mm C. fimbriatus and a bunch of OBT juveniles. I'll have tongs, a paintbrush and a homemade funnel.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Open vile pull out paper towel use paint brush to move T in to enclouser. Works 99% of the time. With new and old. Ive only had two run aways i had to wrangle up. A H.gigas and T. Vioaceus.

I'm tayloring it to my enclosure. Real thin tongs or two pieces of welding rod held by electric tape can also grab the plug at the top.

Ok ok, I'll confess.

I moved trouble, my scorpling into a juvenile enclosure from Jamie's & he loves it. No pacing or glass dancing. He loves the Moss. I swear I only did it so he could catch crickets and peace of mind better, scouts honor.

This leaves his former and larger cage very very lonely!!

For God's sake, someone buy this T before I strike again!! It's gorgeous and I can afford it, a deadly combination indeed.

https://jamiestarantulas.com/poecilotheria-striata-mysore-ornamental-2-female/

Miss Moxie

3 Year Member
I'm tayloring it to my enclosure. Real thin tongs or two pieces of welding rod held by electric tape can also grab the plug at the top.

Ok ok, I'll confess.

I moved trouble, my scorpling into a juvenile enclosure from Jamie's & he loves it. No pacing or glass dancing. He loves the Moss. I swear I only did it so he could catch crickets and peace of mind better, scouts honor.

For God's sake, someone buy this T before I strike again!! It's gorgeous and I can afford it, a deadly combination indeed.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Metalman2004

3 Year Member

Ok ok, I'll confess.

I’m guessing that if you had a scorpion in it that t is a terrestrial enclosure. That would not be appropriate for an arboreal species such as a pokie.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Actually it was an arboreal enclosure. Scorps can't climb glass and the idea was to keep the screen totally out of reach.

There was to much floor space and not enough cover.
20170924_130922.jpg

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It's only 4" deep but much taller about 8" about at least twice as tall as wide if I recall.

You would put in cork bark at a 45 degree angle where it could go pretty deep if needed and see it edgewise, not broad side.

20170924_132027.jpg

Miss Moxie

3 Year Member
That's not an appropriate enclosure for a Poecilotheria, which grow rather quickly by the way. You keep complaining about how space is such a commodity for you. You do realize that you will need a lot of space to house the adults of the species you have right?

That Pokie is already off Jamie's website. Didn't even wait long enough to hear whether your enclosure was suitable huh? That's the spirit. :rolleyes:

Metalman2004

3 Year Member
I see, the camera was playing some tricks. Here is one of mine for reference. It is 4x4x8 I believe for a 3.5” or so P smithi.

3B03097E-4DC1-46A5-9270-366D230AC29C.jpeg

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I see, the camera was playing some tricks. Here is one of mine for reference. It is 4x4x8 I believe for a 3.5” or so P smithi.

View attachment 26234

That's like another one I have. The one I'm thinking about would be like 2 of those side by side.

Doing a full size would be convenient but folks say a sling would get lost in there, need a small one first...or a larger pokie!! (Yikes!!)

Well, what would be a good fit for that?

Latest posts