• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Who's molted today

Jeef

3 Year Member
T. vagans went up a size.

Attachments

• IMG_20240418_162500010.jpg
    IMG_20240418_162500010.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20240419_103757076.jpg
    IMG_20240419_103757076.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 18

TheHairyCelt

So, it finally happened! Been keeping T's for quite awhile and never had a bad molt. My T.Vagans which was in pre molt laid a mat outside her hide so I thought she would molt there. In the end she decided to molt in hide. She was on her back for 3 days I could just see her in the hide. Tonight after much hesitation I removed her hide to see whats was up. It turned out one of her back legs was stuck it had harden in the molt. At first I tried move her enclosure to the bathroom with the shower on in hopes the extra humidity would help, but no joy.

So tonight I made the decision to distrub her to see if I could help her. Quite quickly and surpisingly easily the leg and molt came away from her. I added some cornstarch just in case she was bleeding, I was hoping to free the leg but like I said it came away so easily that actually now as I write this I think she was preparing to drop it anyway. Once free she righted herself and started moving again. I hope I did the right thing?

Anyway its 1.30AM so time to sleep but as it was quite stressful experience I felt I needed to share my experience so here I am.

Attachments

• Vagans.jpg
    Vagans.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 11

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
So, it finally happened! Been keeping T's for quite awhile and never had a bad molt. My T.Vagans which was in pre molt laid a mat outside her hide so I thought she would molt there. In the end she decided to molt in hide. She was on her back for 3 days I could just see her in the hide. Tonight after much hesitation I removed her hide to see whats was up. It turned out one of her back legs was stuck it had harden in the molt. At first I tried move her enclosure to the bathroom with the shower on in hopes the extra humidity would help, but no joy.

So tonight I made the decision to distrub her to see if I could help her. Quite quickly and surpisingly easily the leg and molt came away from her. I added some cornstarch just in case she was bleeding, I was hoping to free the leg but like I said it came away so easily that actually now as I write this I think she was preparing to drop it anyway. Once free she righted herself and started moving again. I hope I did the right thing?

Anyway its 1.30AM so time to sleep but as it was quite stressful experience I felt I needed to share my experience so here I am.

It sounds as though you did the right thing in the end. Glad she's ok.
They do like to worry us.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
As we fed last night our female Phormictopus auratus was on her back with a lovely fresh molt laying beside her.

We also found a molt in our male Grammostola iheringi & in one of our female Kochiana brunnipes.

Papaya

IMG_2558.jpg

Female B. Smithi, Blossum, finally came out to stretch her legs and show off her new colorful vibrant coat. She had not molted in nearly two years and seemed to be in pre-molt for 7-8 months, barely eating maybe 1-2 times in that span. She's at least 6"-6 1/2" in now. The size difference after molting is always surprising but this one pretty massive. She's going to be a very hungry girl

Papaya

View attachment 73270
Female B. Smithi, Blossum, finally came out to stretch her legs and show off her new colorful vibrant coat. She had not molted in nearly two years and seemed to be in pre-molt for 7-8 months, barely eating maybe 1-2 times in that span. She's at least 6"-6 1/2" in now. The size difference after molting is always surprising but this one pretty massive. She's going to be a very hungry girl
Correction... her name is spelled "Blossom" ;)

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Last week two of our Chilobrachys huahani juvi's molted. One was sexed as male, the other as female.
Then today our juvi Phormictopus atrichromatus produced a mangeled molt for us.

Phormictopus atrichromatus

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have just got in, to find my daughter has found a molt & sexed it as female. So that is two out of three Theraphosa blondi slings that have turned out female. :cool::) We brought three thinking we had more chance of getting a female & then end up with two.

Boofekoor499

Hi everyone
I bought my first tarantula juvenile (chaco golden knee) just few days ago and today i came up with rearranged enclosure and found my T upside-down I'm so ‌excited and a little nervous as there is uneaten dead mealworm in enclosure and i decide not to open the tank lid

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi everyone
I bought my first tarantula juvenile (chaco golden knee) just few days ago and today i came up with rearranged enclosure and found my T upside-down I'm so ‌excited and a little nervous as there is uneaten dead mealworm in enclosure and i decide not to open the tank lid

As long as the mealworm is dead it can't do any harm but leave it around a week before feeding or rehousing.

Latest posts