• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What was your first T?

Greg

3 Year Member
My first was Acanthoscuria geniculata. Not normally recommended as a first. Mine has been pretty mellow, though has charged out of the burrow with a threat a couple of times when water was squirted into the water cap (just responding to the vibration, not to my presence). 1st rehousing went pretty smoothly. Lightening quick, which can be startling to a beginner. Very fast growing; more than doubled size in nine months, averaging three months per month as juvenile. Here it is grabbing onto a silk plant.
IMG_1601.JPG

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
Three "molts" per month...
Your spider molted three times each month? Man, that's more than anything I've heard of. Wow!

My fastest growers only molt about once a month, and that is in a 80-90 degree room getting fed a big roach every 3-4 days.

I have two little genics and they've molted about every 6-7 weeks for their first few months with me.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My first was Acanthoscuria geniculata. Not normally recommended as a first. Mine has been pretty mellow, though has charged out of the burrow with a threat a couple of times when water was squirted into the water cap (just responding to the vibration, not to my presence). 1st rehousing went pretty smoothly. Lightening quick, which can be startling to a beginner. Very fast growing; more than doubled size in nine months, averaging three months per month as juvenile. Here it is grabbing onto a silk plant. View attachment 34755
I can see why you chose a A.genticulata as your first T-many members on this forum will tell you this genus is a real favourite of theres and its easy to see why ,beautiful markings,active with bags of personality and they get to a really nice size! :) :T:

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I would be terrified of having the theraphosa blondi as my first one-one word to describe them-magnificent!:eek:

I have a T stirmi & she's a challenge to say the least. T blondi ought to be fairly similar, but some think T stirmi is a bit more resilient. They are probably fairly similar otherwise.

As far as feeding vertebrates to them, I've never found it necessary. Adult mice can sometimes injure a tarantula and win the fight. While the pinkies would make more sense, I'd probably try a feeder fish first.

Why?

Fish flop around on land giving an excellent vibration distress signal. Also, a few species of tarantulas, such as H gigas and a few Australian species actually will go into water and catch fish. As far as nutrition goes, fish are probably closer to what they need even if they aren't a fishing species.

Of course, a fish such as a feeder guppy, bait fish or gold fish are unlikely to have tarantula specific parasites and have no teeth to injure a tarantula. They won't hang around for weeks in the enclosure and harm a molting tarantula either.

I feed mine large Dubai roaches, half a box of large crickets, horn worms and the OCCASIONAL Earthworm. (Good first post molt meal)

T stirmi Mini me premolt 3.jpg

Last edited:

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My first was Acanthoscuria geniculata. Not normally recommended as a first. Mine has been pretty mellow, though has charged out of the burrow with a threat a couple of times when water was squirted into the water cap (just responding to the vibration, not to my presence). 1st rehousing went pretty smoothly. Lightening quick, which can be startling to a beginner. Very fast growing; more than doubled size in nine months, averaging three months per month as juvenile. Here it is grabbing onto a silk plant. View attachment 34755
My very first T (by 1 day), a 1 " Selenotypus plumipes, Australian Featherleg, attacked me through the glass three times one night just for looking at her from a foot away. I'm taking an audible crack against the wall of the enclosure as she leapt towards me. My hands weren't reaching out, I just turned my chair and looked in her direction. I haven't seen her on the surface since that night in April last year, but she hasn't moulted either.
I'm not looking forward to rehousing her when she tops 3 inches to be honest! :)

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'll deal with it, but I had trouble finding good gloves at a reasonable price. I bought two pairs, actually once it turned out I paid for a single glove, but I could still stick a thin needle through them because the weave was too coarse. I was buying equipment for scorpion collecting at the time but most ads I saw were for fishermen or butchers, I didn't think of police gloves.
It sounds like a good idea though, it could save damage to the tarantula or an escape if you can confidently use your hands.

Edit, I can think of a time you wish you were wearing them! :)

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'll deal with it, but I had trouble finding good gloves at a reasonable price. I bought two pairs, actually once it turned out I paid for a single glove, but I could still stick a thin needle through them because the weave was too coarse. I was buying equipment for scorpion collecting at the time but most ads I saw were for fishermen or butchers, I didn't think of police gloves.
It sounds like a good idea though, it could save damage to the tarantula or an escape if you can confidently use your hands.

Edit, I can think of a time you wish you were wearing them! :)
Yes lol when @Whitelightning777 got tagged bad by that t.stermi !;) those gloves look armed and ready :)

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sadly enough, they weren't. I was simply trying to remove junk from her water dish. The gloves were feeling lonely on the bookshelf the entire time.

Of course, it's also good to coordinate your schedule with idiots who drop unknown heavy objects & inform them not to drop said objects when dealing with Mindy (T stirmi)

The most nerve wracking part was looking for a bullet hole in the ceiling and not finding it. That was how loud it was.

I since have given Mindy half a box of small crickets because frankly she needs the exercise.

After many mysterious fast blurry movements in the cage, they were gone in an hour & she didn't even trash the enclosure looking for them. She's a big super fast girl. Most people accept that OWs are fast.

They fail to realize that leg span also greatly increases speed. She shot out and back into her hide catching the crickets as I shook the box.

& yes, I was wearing the gloves and a long sleeve shirt like a sensible person.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sadly enough, they weren't. I was simply trying to remove junk from her water dish. The gloves were feeling lonely on the bookshelf the entire time.

Of course, it's also good to coordinate your schedule with idiots who drop unknown heavy objects & inform them not to drop said objects when dealing with Mindy (T stirmi)

The most nerve wracking part was looking for a bullet hole in the ceiling and not finding it. That was how loud it was.

I since have given Mindy half a box of small crickets because frankly she needs the exercise.

After many mysterious fast blurry movements in the cage, they were gone in an hour & she didn't even trash the enclosure looking for them. She's a big super fast girl. Most people accept that OWs are fast.

They fail to realize that leg span also greatly increases speed. She shot out and back into her hide catching the crickets as I shook the box.

& yes, I was wearing the gloves and a long sleeve shirt like a sensible person.
Sounds like you've learned a lesson with mindy :) you can protect yourself as much as you can from her-but not sure what you can do about the neighbours above!? :D maybe put them gloves on and throttle them next time lol;):p

Latest posts