• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What was your first T?

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
What sort of set up do you keep her in ? I bet her prey doesn't touch the ground! :)
Shes in a 30 gallon tank. Shes too big for your average feeder insects. She eats hissing ****roaches and mice...she doesn't waste time eating them.;)
IMG-20180612-WA0001.jpg

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Shes in a 30 gallon tank. Shes too big for your average feeder insects. She eats hissing ****roaches and mice...she doesn't waste time eating them.;)
View attachment 34606
Mice-alive or dead!?! I bet that's messy! ive seen pictures somewhere of one eating a piece of beef-that just looked weirdo_O

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Mice-alive or dead!?! I bet that's messy! ive seen pictures somewhere of one eating a piece of beef-that just looked weirdo_O
I feed her both dead or alive. Alive Pinkie mice and pre killed adult mice. Theres no mess or stink when you got a T this big...she pretty much eats it all. The bolus from a adult mouse I throw out the next night before it starts to stink. I usually only fed mice right before breeding....my males never get mice.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
im used to feeding mice but only to my snakes!(in the uk live feeding is against the law only frozen and prekilled is allowed)
I suppose being that big most food is seen as a light snack!:(

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
I took care of tarantulas when I started working in pet shops in the mid 80s. My very first tarantula that I bought and kept at home was a pink toe in the early 90s. Avicularia avicularia. Over the years I had several others including rose hairs, red knees, chaco gold knees, and Brazilian blacks, all of which have been re-named by scientists since then, except for G. pulchra. Who remembers G. rosea, G. aureostriata, and B. smithii.

For all those years, I was a "casual" tarantula keeper. I often had two or three around, but seldom more than 6 at any one time, and always common, docile species. Its only in the last few months, since finding this forum, that I've jumped in to the hobby and gone crazy with a whole lot of different species. I've got around 50 of a couple dozen different species now. I've greatly enjoyed trying out the new ones and learning about them. I have new favorites and I'm learning more every day.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I took care of tarantulas when I started working in pet shops in the mid 80s. My very first tarantula that I bought and kept at home was a pink toe in the early 90s. Avicularia avicularia. Over the years I had several others including rose hairs, red knees, chaco gold knees, and Brazilian blacks, all of which have been re-named by scientists since then, except for G. pulchra. Who remembers G. rosea, G. aureostriata, and B. smithii.

For all those years, I was a "casual" tarantula keeper. I often had two or three around, but seldom more than 6 at any one time, and always common, docile species. Its only in the last few months, since finding this forum, that I've jumped in to the hobby and gone crazy with a whole lot of different species. I've got around 50 of a couple dozen different species now. I've greatly enjoyed trying out the new ones and learning about them. I have new favorites and I'm learning more every day.
I remember when Brachypelma smithi was Euathlus smithi...dam I'm old!!!!:confused:

Major 78

Brachypelma Albopilosum. AKA Mr. Fuzzy. Crazy docile. My Mom who was anti-arachnid, now loves her so much and begs me to bring her out for her to see. Amazing what these little guys can do to your heart, I was once an arachnophobe, now an arachnoholic. :D But the first T I was getting was a Neoholothele Incei "gold" form, Casey can't ship this week, but next week. So if you ask, that's my first T haha. I also have a Nhandu Chromatus, tiny little guy, hides a lot but I also have a clear view. Hasn't ate for me yet, neither has my Albo. Can't wait to see my first takedown.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

its nice to hear how you've come to own so many Ts nowdays ,forums like this are encouragement too!
also like you say we are always learning-I for one always listen to my elders(sorry!) as you learn from each others experience and advice,we can all learn from each other -makes life for our Ts a little better I think :)
the changing of genus names is totally confusing(from an outsiders point of view) -I wish they would leave things be! you just about learn it and your back to square one again!

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
its nice to hear how you've come to own so many Ts nowdays ,forums like this are encouragement too!
also like you say we are always learning-I for one always listen to my elders(sorry!) as you learn from each others experience and advice,we can all learn from each other -makes life for our Ts a little better I think
"Knowledge is learning from your mistakes. Wisdom is learning from the mistakes of others."

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My first T was a female Acanthoscurria geniculata that I bought from a local pet store. I originally planned to get Brachypelma vagans as my first T, but when I went to the pet store, they had a genic and N. incei 'gold'. I actually left from the store, walked halfway back to my car, stopped, Googled few things about genics, turned around, walked back to the store and bought her :D

Maisa when I got her in February -18:
7968fb440e.png

Maisa nowadays - She has molted three times in my care and the diagonal leg span has pretty much doubled.
43f7365fd5.png
I feed her both dead or alive. Alive Pinkie mice and pre killed adult mice. Theres no mess or stink when you got a T this big...she pretty much eats it all. The bolus from a adult mouse I throw out the next night before it starts to stink. I usually only fed mice right before breeding....my males never get mice.
I guess I will never own a blonde.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm gathering feeding mice is not your thing @WolfSpider ? not for everyone-
I never would have thought I would be able to feed my snakes mice (but as they are already frozen then defrosted) I can cope with that better-
I couldn't bring myself to feed alive mice to anything(like I mentioned before against the law in the uk)
its bad enough looking at the crickets! they've got faces!:(

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Shoot...you've got those house lizards in Florida....feed it those. ;)

When they get so big crickets and roaches are so small you need at least 20 per feeding. Also they are so small they cant catch them all. One large prey item is the best...I usually feed them hissers but I have to change it up once in a while.:D

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
Shoot...you've got those house lizards in Florida....feed it those. ;)

When they get so big crickets and roaches are so small you need at least 20 per feeding. Also they are so small they cant catch them all. One large prey item is the best...I usually feed them hissers but I have to change it up once in a while.:D
Good thing I have a hisser colony! The bigger of my two stirmi is about 6-7" right now. Large dubia males are still getting the job done.

Stephanie P

3 Year Member
Thought I would bring this up as a new member of the forum I would love to know how the many members on here came to own so many Ts -as we all had to start somewhere! :)
my first T was a B.Hamorii-what was yours?:T:

My first was a Chaco. Got him as a
Thought I would bring this up as a new member of the forum I would love to know how the many members on here came to own so many Ts -as we all had to start somewhere! :)
my first T was a B.Hamorii-what was yours?:T:
My first a Chaco. Got him as a spiderling 3 years ago. Only recently learned Stryper is male due to the hooks on his legs. (The first photo is me holding him recently.) My second is a Texas Brown that a friend found in her backyard. She was in bad shape. Two years later Charlotte is healthy and beautiful! (Pic #2) Three and Four arrived today. A very young Pumpkin Patch and a young but already 4" Goliath Birdeater (Pics #3 and #4).

Attachments

• 20190101_121513.jpg
    20190101_121513.jpg
    310.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 20181231_235927.jpg
    20181231_235927.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20190116-123857_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20190116-123857_Video Player.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
  • 20190116_123947.jpg
    20190116_123947.jpg
    494.4 KB · Views: 7

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

My first a Chaco. Got him as a spiderling 3 years ago. Only recently learned Stryper is male due to the hooks on his legs. (The first photo is me holding him recently.) My second is a Texas Brown that a friend found in her backyard. She was in bad shape. Two years later Charlotte is healthy and beautiful! (Pic #2) Three and Four arrived today. A very young Pumpkin Patch and a young but already 4" Goliath Birdeater (Pics #3 and #4).
Your pumpkin patch is it a Hapalopus sp. Colombia or Klein???

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

Nice collection of Ts you have-thanks for posting some pics:) I too have a haplopus sp Columbia (micro sized sling!) like you and @Arachnoclown they sure look lovely as adults so it will be nice to watch it grow on;)

Latest posts