• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What was your first T?

RonC

3 Year Member
My first is the G.pulchripes in my profile pic. Molted since that pic was taken. I have newer pics but they aren't as good. Maybe someday it will emerge from its burrow for photos.

Attachments

• IMG_0441.JPG
    IMG_0441.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 6

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I’m weird. My first spider was my avatar. A male Wolfe. I decided to keep him out of spite: he was crawling around our Welcome mat in our house in North Carolina. My wife wanted me to kill it. I wouldn’t. We got into a big fight over it. So...instead of killing it or letting it go, I kept it in a medium critter keeper. Knew nothing about spider husbandry—but, I learned a bit. He lived for 4 months. (In retrospect, I should have found him a female!)

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It's one of the reasons I joined here.

I bought that 1st OBT as a juvenile so I'd never had to rehouse her so not long before she died I'd bought a Usambara sling too just so I could experience that. This one is just as shy, it's about 2" now and I also have a Tete that is more confident but still not aggressive.
i have only the one OBT-that is also very shy like yours-about 2" -little toes always poking out of its tightly webbed tunnel! I am hoping to get a tete in the future:)

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I’m weird. My first spider was my avatar. A male Wolfe. I decided to keep him out of spite: he was crawling around our Welcome mat in our house in North Carolina. My wife wanted me to kill it. I wouldn’t. We got into a big fight over it. So...instead of killing it or letting it go, I kept it in a medium critter keeper. Knew nothing about spider husbandry—but, I learned a bit. He lived for 4 months. (In retrospect, I should have found him a female!)
what a great introduction to spiders! we've all wanted to keep house spiders at some point or do our very best to help them survive-much to the annoyance of our other halfs!:p

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My first was a 1" Selenotypus plumipes sling.
Selenotypus plumipes pic3.JPG

Followed the next day by 5 Phlogius sp. "stents" slings varying in size. 2 were doa unfortunately but they were replaced by much larger slings/juvies.
Phlogius sp. 'stents' no1 pic2.JPG
Phlogius sp. 'stents' no2 pic2.JPG
Phlogius sp. 'stents' no3 pic1.JPG

In the following weeks they were followed by 3 Phlogius "blue legs", 6 Selenotypus "sp. 2".
The floodgates were open!
(Note- all Australian species are OW)

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My first was a 1" Selenotypus plumipes sling.View attachment 34598
Followed the next day by 5 Phlogius sp. "stents" slings varying in size. 2 were doa unfortunately but they were replaced by much larger slings/juvies.View attachment 34599 View attachment 34600 View attachment 34601
In the following weeks they were followed by 3 Phlogius "blue legs", 6 Selenotypus "sp. 2".
The floodgates were open!
(Note- all Australian species are OW)
it didn't take you long-once the bug has bitten so to speak theres no stopping you ;-)
lovely eight legged wonders you have there @Dave Jay :)

Nunua

3 Year Member
My first T was a female Acanthoscurria geniculata that I bought from a local pet store. I originally planned to get Brachypelma vagans as my first T, but when I went to the pet store, they had a genic and N. incei 'gold'. I actually left from the store, walked halfway back to my car, stopped, Googled few things about genics, turned around, walked back to the store and bought her :D

Maisa when I got her in February -18:
7968fb440e.png

Maisa nowadays - She has molted three times in my care and the diagonal leg span has pretty much doubled.
43f7365fd5.png

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Shes beautiful! I have a soft spot for these as they are so striking looking!:)
the best thing you ever did going back for her it was meant to be :D

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks for the info ;-)
long may she live-and keep growing!:)
She'll live to be 20 something...as for size she will get a little bigger but quite a bit heavier. I've never had a Theraphosa over 10.5" even at 15-20 years old. They say they will hit 12" but I've never seen one.

Latest posts