• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What new Ts are you waiting for?

swimbait

3 Year Member
Definitely open minded, like I said earlier I've kept pretty much every species that I can find in my area one time or another, which even included a camel spider 10 years ago. Theres just something about those guys being in the corners of my ceiling that makes me feel differently about them. That video though, gives me a whole new perspective. There is an access point into my wall to turn on and off water or something and there is a big one in there, I'm sure its pregnant, and probably the source of my our problem!! I've tried to get her out but every time I open the hole she runs up to the land of who knows how many cellar spiders!! Do you breed your black widows?

Christell Erasmus

3 Year Member
What area do you live in that live monsters roam free? :eek:. Be happy to post some pics once he/she settles in. Not sure on the enclosure yet as I want to see the size first. My first one. So anyone out there with any experience keeping one is very welcome. Thanks!
We live in South Africa. We don't have Jerusalem Crickets in our garden but we do have King crickets and park town prawns, but I believe they are of the same species.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Definitely open minded, like I said earlier I've kept pretty much every species that I can find in my area one time or another, which even included a camel spider 10 years ago. Theres just something about those guys being in the corners of my ceiling that makes me feel differently about them. That video though, gives me a whole new perspective. There is an access point into my wall to turn on and off water or something and there is a big one in there, I'm sure its pregnant, and probably the source of my our problem!! I've tried to get her out but every time I open the hole she runs up to the land of who knows how many cellar spiders!! Do you breed your black widows?
Unfortunately, I do not breed my widows. I have to pull egg sacs every week or two. Due to the toxicity of their venom, I freeze the egg sacs.

Good luck finding the source of your problem. Now she sounds like a worthy pet!

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
We live in South Africa. We don't have Jerusalem Crickets in our garden but we do have King crickets and park town prawns, but I believe they are of the same species.
That would be a great place to live to collect and keep inverts! As a general rule, I despise crickets. Necessary evil to my Addiction but the uniqueness of the Jerulsalem drew me to it. Like swimbait, trying to keep an open mind. Should arrive some time this week.

NYX

3 Year Member
The invert that disturbs me the most is by far the earwigs. It is always a battle with them and my pepper plants. I see why a lot of peppers turned spicy. They also like to seek refuge in my basement.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

NYX

3 Year Member
I also get these 'spider crickets' (Rhaphidophoridae) in the basement in the late summer. I think they are pretty cool though.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 18

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi was bitten by an earwig once when I was a kid years ago. I had to burn it off my thumb with a lighter ..

Sym

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Those crickets are very interesting. Never saw one that looked liked that before.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It looks as though my new 2 will be coming on Wednesday.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Too cold here this week. Looks like mine will ship next week :(

Mine will be shipped 'next day delivery before 1pm' and with heat pads. The UK is great in that we can get them delivered next day.

FaaFaa

3 Year Member
Now this is where my addiction ends. I don't do anything but tarantulas and the occasional true. There are too many other inverts that I find "creepy." I love to look at them, and I think that they are cool in there own way, I just don't want to keep them.

My 10 P. scrofa slings are to ship today! Here's to hoping they arrive by Wednesday alive and healthy!

swimbait

3 Year Member
I also get these 'spider crickets' (Rhaphidophoridae) in the basement in the late summer. I think they are pretty cool though.

These are what I originally thought denny dee was talking about when he said Jerusalem cricket until I looked them up. Last year at lake mcconaughy, Nebraska, I was sleeping on the basement couch and feel something barely moving on my face. I go to itch my face and feel something so I throw it on the floor and turn my phone flashlight on, there were atleast 10 of those things in plain site right infront of me...

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well, I also have a young female being shipped tomorrow. So, hopefully this group will be a breeding group for me in about 2 years. :)
Ahhh. Makes sense. I do not breed my T's (at least not as of yet). Not enough free time to deal with it. I have 2 batches of scorpions babies and they are high maintenance!

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
These are what I originally thought denny dee was talking about when he said Jerusalem cricket until I looked them up. Last year at lake mcconaughy, Nebraska, I was sleeping on the basement couch and feel something barely moving on my face. I go to itch my face and feel something so I throw it on the floor and turn my phone flashlight on, there were atleast 10 of those things in plain site right infront of me...[/QUOTE

Now that sounds terrifying! Here is a photo off the net of a Jerusalem Cricket. No resemblance really:

JerusalemCricketGeneNelson.jpg

swimbait

3 Year Member
The ones down there were much lighter color, maybe freshly molted or something. I quickly realized they weren't the same thing, are Jerusalem cricekts big hunters or more scavengers?

Latest posts