• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Weird (is there any other kind?!?!) Rosie behavior...

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So for the last couple days I have suspected Sonja is getting ready to molt. Her previous owner had her several years and she only molted once. I suspect from her size that if she already isn't mature, this will be her last sub adult molt. (I also suspect that if I am wrong about sexing her I will know shortly if she emerges with hooks and clubs lol).

She's made a thick web mat in front of her hide. She typically doesn't use the hide as she likes to hang out by her water bowl. She has also been getting grumpy, going into defense poses if I even touch her enclosure or mess with the containers next to hers. This is a 360 from my normally zen-like T.

Anyway, today is feeding day. She was hanging out by her water bowl when I opened the hatch to drop in a large cricket. It hit the ground and raced into her hide. She immediately threw up a defense pose then raced after it into her hide. I assumed she was going to eat it...

A bit later I came back to check and see how everyone was doing. Sonja was sitting by her water bowl but there was no cricket...

I looked into her hide and there it was, almost dead, a large wound on its back....

Now, these are large crickets, but no bigger than what I typically offer my larger sub adults or adults. She's happily eaten larger.

Anyone have anything like this happen?

Latest posts