• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

True spider suggestions?

Roo

3 Year Member
I'm thinking of getting a Silver Trapdoor for myself after Christmas. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for good true spiders? The more interesting in behavior the better ;)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I don't, sorry. I'm still of the mindset that the best spider is a dead spider. I like my T's but i don't see myself ever owning a spider. Those Amblypygi in the other thread make my skin crawl lol.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I don't, sorry. I'm still of the mindset that the best spider is a dead spider. I like my T's but i don't see myself ever owning a spider. Those Amblypygi in the other thread make my skin crawl lol.

Not to sound rude, but that's not really what he asked. I mean I'm not telling you whether or not to respond obviously, you have that right, but he asked for a suggestion, and you didn't really give him any suggestions, you just sorta stated the fact that you don't like true spiders.

Roo, I haven't owned many myself (nor do I currently own any), but I'd highly suggest looking into jumping spiders. Some of the larger ones can get around 1 inch or so, which may sound small, but believe me it's not that different from owning a tarantula sling. Jumpers are more active, so you can give them a bit more room, just be very careful when you open the enclosure. Not only are they quick, but they have very excellent eyesight unlike mygalomorphs and are much more alert. Hunstman spiders are awesome, but if speed is an issue at all I'd say they're a very poor choice for you, since many of them are just as fast, often faster than any Old World tarantula. Wolf spiders are great as well, but can also move very fast and I've seen them jump before as well. Also like jumpers they have great eyesight and use it to their advantage. I'd say your experience and/or comfort with fast arachnids in general is a good way to determine which true spider is best for you. Although even they can be quick at times, the New World terrestrial tarantulas are among some of the slower spiders based off of my experience/knowledge. Although they are tarantulas, Hapolopus species in many ways behave and look much more like a true spider, particularly wolf spiders. Not only are they super fast, but they are very alert, and their eyesight is amazing compared to how the rather poor eyesight of many other tarantulas. I have heard that they'll often try to make a run for it just about any time the lid of the enclosure is taken off. This could be an exaggeration of course, but after seeing videos of one in action, I wouldn't be at all surprised if this were true. You could also look into other mygalomorphs if they interest you.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well' you have come to the right place! I have owned almost every legal true spider species one could ever own. And agree with Chubbs. T's are just spiders at the end of the day. Big hairy ones but spiders. Feel free to private message me with any specific questions on care or sources to acquire Trues.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'd personally go for Sicarius.:D Although jumpers are friggin adorable.

Not sure if the OP is aware of the venom potency on sicarius though. I mean, it'd suck to have to find out first hand. There a species I don't think I'd even want to keep ever.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Interesting. Black Widow is ranked as the 2nd deadliest spider in the world (ranking per the most potent venom). Although bites are rare. Between 1950 and '59 there were 65 deaths reported from the "outhouse spider" as it was known then as it commonly was found in and around outhouses lol

Brown recluse is ranked at #4, and the sicarius at #5 to put it in perspective.

Doesn't make much sense though. The one i've always thought most venomous is ranked #8 the Sydney Funnel Web, Bites can kill within minutes if there is no antivenom available. Wouldn't that put it at the top of the list?

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Interesting. Black Widow is ranked as the 2nd deadliest spider in the world (ranking per the most potent venom). Although bites are rare. Between 1950 and '59 there were 65 deaths reported from the "outhouse spider" as it was known then as it commonly was found in and around outhouses lol

Brown recluse is ranked at #4, and the sicarius at #5 to put it in perspective.

Doesn't make much sense though. The one i've always thought most venomous is ranked #8 the Sydney Funnel Web, Bites can kill within minutes if there is no antivenom available. Wouldn't that put it at the top of the list?

No, the Sydney funnel web has actually no longer been #1 on the list for a long time now. It's not even the most deadly of the Australian Funnel-Webs actually. The Brazilian Wandering spider was considered the most venomous for a very long time, topping even Hadronyche (Northern tree funnel-web), which is worse than the Sydney Funnel Web. What makes the Sydney-Funnel Webs so dangerous is that bites occur more often, due to them being found in and around more populated areas, thus encounters with humans occur more frequently. Sicarius hahni (Six-Eyed Sand Spider), has since replaced the Brazilian Wandering Spider as top of the list.

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Apart from Jumping Spiders, I always found Camel Spiders really fascinating. They're not venomous, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't hurt a lot to get bit. They look like a really interesting spider to keep though.
Most Orb weavers are very beautiful, too.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Apart from Jumping Spiders, I always found Camel Spiders really fascinating. They're not venomous, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't hurt a lot to get bit. They look like a really interesting spider to keep though.
Most Orb weavers are very beautiful, too.

Those aren't spiders ;) They're solifugids. They're also called "Wind Scorpions" by some, but they're not spiders or scorpions. They're pretty tough to care for though and do rather poorly in captivity most of the time.

Roo

3 Year Member
Thanks for the suggestions so far :)

Living in the UK where you need a DWA (dangerous wild animals) license to own anything that could be considered fatal without an allergy. Should have said before ;).

But if I want a black widow I could get one wild. They end up in our garden once every so often.

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Those aren't spiders ;) They're solifugids. They're also called "Wind Scorpions" by some, but they're not spiders or scorpions. They're pretty tough to care for though and do rather poorly in captivity most of the time.
Oh, I didn't know any of that, thanks. I just read some articles about them and saw some videos, but none mentioned that they didn't do well in captivity. Best to be admired from afar then.
OP, Jumping Spiders all the way then, lol.
Or those ones who dig in with the bottom sticking out that look like Oreo biscuits.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The venomous true spiders have always been the most fascinating to me. However, there are dozens of species available in the trade which are harmless or have mild venom (similar to most of the common T's). Always a good reminder that we must all use caution in this hobby as all T's, scorpions and Trues should be respected as DWA. Agree that a sicarus sp. may not be the best to go with but frankly, if housed properly, the chances of getting tagged are virtually nil as they spend 99% of their time under the substrate. T's are much more likely to bite than most trues in my opinion. Widows cannot even bite through some of the thinnest cloth due to a lack of powerful fangs. Now Pokies on the other hand....

micheldied

3 Year Member
Not sure if the OP is aware of the venom potency on sicarius though. I mean, it'd suck to have to find out first hand. There a species I don't think I'd even want to keep ever.

Twas a joke. I don't think I'd ever have one either (mainly because I don't have enough of an interest in true spiders to own something that venomous).

Sicarius are pretty bad, and the only reason they've been pretty low on the list is that no one ever runs into them in the wild.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Twas a joke. I don't think I'd ever have one either (mainly because I don't have enough of an interest in true spiders to own something that venomous).

Sicarius are pretty bad, and the only reason they've been pretty low on the list is that no one ever runs into them in the wild.
Yeah I hear they're rather easy-going tenperament-wise, but I'm gonna avoid them for a while lol. Really neat the way they ambush prey still.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Maybe a K hybernalis, the southern house spider? Females are supposed to live eight years. Never kept one, so I'm not sure about their behavior. Pretty spiders, though.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You would change your mind if you held one just once. I guarantee it. They're completely docile and gentle if you move slowly. I admit, the first feeding I caught half horrified me, you should see them a few seconds before they strike, claws arched upward and back, beautiful. They punch the prey and snatch it, the whole process has a sci-fi horror feel..epic. And weird, they're so freaking alien, lmao. How could you not love such a creature?

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You would change your mind if you held one just once. I guarantee it. They're completely docile and gentle if you move slowly. I admit, the first feeding I caught half horrified me, you should see them a few seconds before they strike, claws arched upward and back, beautiful. They punch the prey and snatch it, the whole process has a sci-fi horror feel..epic. And weird, they're so freaking alien, lmao. How could you not love such a creature?

Can you record a feeding? I had the same aversion to Ts before i saw my son's GBB feed. I think that's what drew me into them to start.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Can you record a feeding? I had the same aversion to Ts before i saw my son's GBB feed. I think that's what drew me into them to start.
You know I was kicking myself for not recording it. I'll try to get a decent feeding video but no promises, they're slow to hit sometimes, and want to explore the area around the prey before hitting it. I guess it's their version of playing with their food when they're not very hungry.

Latest posts