• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

toys

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
I personally haven't heard of this but that doesn't mean that people don't do it or that your tarantula won't respond to it...

CrypticSpider

3 Year Member
I have heard of this, yes. Andrew, as you read the thread, you saw that many people chimed in with different reactions/opinions to this. I have tried it (the ping pong balls) with a few of my older Ts. Only one had anything to do with hers. She'd roll it all around her tank. My other 2 just pushed theirs into a corner and avoided it. I haven't tried it with my rosea yet.
... she'll probably tear it up, LOL.

Donk

3 Year Member
My Rosea has the traits of the typical petrock......she would most likely take 6months to discover this new item in her ohuse then ignore it before thinking bout eatting, ignoring the food and going back on her house.

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
dont know about toys but i plonked all my ts in front of the telly the other night and let them watch spiderman two. i think some of them would appreciate toys but most of them are tiny so i Will have to wait til they are bigger and move into big containers.

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
One of my tiny b smithis (Flamenco) loves soggy cotton wool balls. She is one of the more outgoing and playful ts and oh so pretty.

JeniHaas

3 Year Member
I have heard of this, yes. Andrew, as you read the thread, you saw that many people chimed in with different reactions/opinions to this. I have tried it (the ping pong balls) with a few of my older Ts. Only one had anything to do with hers. She'd roll it all around her tank. My other 2 just pushed theirs into a corner and avoided it. I haven't tried it with my rosea yet.
... she'll probably tear it up, LOL.

So how do you know if the toys too big for your T??

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantulas do not need, or like toys. Most are solitary animals. They do not need stimulation. They are still animals and conserve energy for when they need it. If your Tarantula is responding to a toy, It's because It wants to know what is in its habitat, wants to decide if it is edible or not, or thinks its an eggsac. The soggy cotton ball, or Ping Pong is likely mistaken for an eggsac. and the soggy cotton ball in particular, can be very problomatic. It's no differint than using a spounge to provide your Ts water. Its a bacteria magnet. If you want to provide your Ts "toys" just give them more hides. More hides, make for a more comfortable T.

Latest posts