• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

To Handle or Not to Handle?

donna

3 Year Member
we didn't handle our chillian for months as it was an adult when we got it & didn't know her temperament but she doesn't always need to be coaxed out she will come to the door & step out onto your arm when she sees/feels it open.
we handle our slings, well the bird eater & the fireleg, not the red rump it is nasty! we are really careful not to hold them at great heights & to always do it when there are two of us around in case they get in precarious positions. i know tarantulas don't need to be held but we enjoy it & they never seem upset/aggravated during or after handling.

what's your opinion on handling? do you hold your Ts? Do you disagree with handling Ts?
really interested in everyone's views: look forward to your replies :)

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I pretty much treat my Ts as a fish. Look no touch. That's not to say that it isn't perfectly acceptable to occasionally handle them, as long as you read their body language. For instance, if a T is constantly kicking I'd leave it be. I do handle my Ts for re homing, or enclosure cleaning but that's about it.

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Interesting point. Some of mine especially delilah and money spider do seem genuinely happy to be with me ( i watched Halloween with delilah on my lap last night. When i put her back in her vivarium she tries to knock the lid off and get back out.) money spider is tiny so i just let him walk on my finger in his pot hes so sweet. It is rare that i handle any tho but i am careful to the point of paranoid with them and would not upset a spider that runs away from me. I think delilah and money are rare.

JeniHaas

3 Year Member
I handle all five of my Ts... Two are spideings so only rarely do I hold them for their own safety but I let my three adults climb all over even my face...
Anyone else kno of any good handelable species??? Le me kno plz!!

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I handle all five of my Ts... Two are spideings so only rarely do I hold them for their own safety but I let my three adults climb all over even my face...

Most Brachypelma are good, Grammastola too.
If you Don't have a Grammastola Pulchripes (Chaco Golden Knee) I highly recommend one, they get large (7") are hardy, live long, and are very "docile".

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
What species do you have already ?

JeniHaas

3 Year Member
Most Brachypelma are good, Grammastola too.
If you Don't have a Grammastola Pulchripes (Chaco Golden Knee) I highly recommend one, they get large (7") are hardy, live long, and are very "docile".

thanks for the suggestion! what do you think of greenbottle blues with respect to handling?

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I got 5 rose hairs 4 red knees 3pink toes and 2 white knees. I would say rose hairs for intelligent red knees for looks white knees for enthusiastic eating and pink toes for cuteness but everyone Will have different opinions on this.

Mad cat lady

3 Year Member
I don't usually handle mine a lot but she willingly walked on to my hand last night and sat there while my husband changed the tank substrate. I posted a couple of photos of her on another tarantula group stating on the posting that she was sitting on my hand while her tank was getting changed and i got a couple of likes and nice comments!I looked this morning and they have removed the post, they don't want "bravado" and "showing off" pics on their wall! Well they know what they can do with their group, i am no longer a member!!

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That's pretty cool Mad cat, I don't think my rosie would let me handle her, she seems a bit stand offish. Our avic, Karina walked on to my hand once when I went to change her water, it was a pretty cool moment even if I wasn't expecting it (she's the sweetie of our bunch). As for the obt, that one will never be handled lol

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
We've had Karina the longest, and so I'm very comfortable around her and know what to expect from her. She has no issues with me doing tank cleaning or changing her water dishes, she doesn't even move/hide anymore when I'm mucking about.

Sarah Joy

3 Year Member
i also was looking for Ts that are more "docile" to be handled. I only handle my g. rosea. She is very skiddish and defensive if I try to put her in any cups or kritter karriers. She will walk onto my hand and chill out but seems to get nervous in the smaller container. I do know it is not neccessary to hold them but they are so neat. Is there anything other than the chaco?

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Boehmei, are great! I have a big Female. (looking for a male) They do tend to be quite skittish though. Not biters, but they will kick.
Auratum, are awesome. when you can find them.