• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tapinauchenius violaceus

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Rehoused this bugger last night using the cup and stick method and made a cardboard hood for my catch cup to fit directly on top of the nano tall. Went pretty smoothly.

This morning I found the T exploring all over the enclosure but it bolted when I approached. Here are a few pics of the enclosure

IMG_20200430_072246.jpg

IMG_20200430_072311.jpgIMG_20200430_072259.jpg

When I first transferred the T, it cowered on one of the lower ficus leaves but within 20 mins it slinked behind the cork bark for the night (I assume) this morning it came out when it because light.

Next step is to replace the screened lid

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Fed the Tapi a pair of large crickets this afternoon, he got one of them and paraded it around the tank; like taking a victory lap.
IMG_20200510_170753.jpg

He was on the front door when we got home today and did not react to me around the tank so I decided to try and feed him right then.

The spider took a few runs at the crickets but didn't have the right position. He rearranged himself 3 or 4 times to get a good vantage point on one of them,; he ended up on the substrate, next to the water dish and just waited in ambush of until he go it. Got this video of the kill.

Audio is the neighbors, please disregard.

Took that opportunity to clean the front glass. This is how it looked when I came home with the crickets.
IMG_20200510_163927.jpg

He was literally just sitting there and didn't move when I opened the top to drop the eats.

Last edited:

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I can see it in it's hide but it won't come out so I decided to send it a meal and see what happened

Put a mature male B lat in a shaker cup and stunned the crap out of it by shaking it like a Bond martini, then placed it at the top of the cork bark slab and it wandered about and down to the T.

She nailed it. Guess she was willing to eat but wanting delivery... stoopid Tapi

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I can see it in it's hide but it won't come out so I decided to send it a meal and see what happened

Put a mature male B lat in a shaker cup and stunned the crap out of it by shaking it like a Bond martini, then placed it at the top of the cork bark slab and it wandered about and down to the T.

She nailed it. Guess she was willing to eat but wanting delivery... stoopid Tapi
She trained you well! LOL LOL ;)

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Tapinauchenius violaceous has been out most of the day, I suspect he molted since disappearing and is now appears MM
IMG_20200621_171816.jpg
IMG_20200621_183522.jpg
IMG_20200621_200348.jpg
IMG_20200621_183301.jpg

Calling him Mr Pipe Cleaner now lol

Grandsouls

Okay, okay your description wasn’t far off lol. Great looking T still though looks like a anorexic curlie lol
Are they sexually dimorphic Matured?
I see lotta pics like yours on google then ones little more plump not quite as hairy and silky and dark violet kinda.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Females are stockier (relative to the males of the same sp, not like terrestrials) and more violet/purple while the males get darker and lankier; like mine lol.

He's very outgoing when he's not hiding 65% of the time. Check his coloring from 2 months ago here

Today he was out a lot, it was a good picture day. He's still out now.
IMG_20200621_233011.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts