• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Starting Off!

TheSuperSoaker

3 Year Member
Hey guys I've been wanting to get a tarantula for a while and have recently gotten the opportunity to get an OBT. This will be my first one I've done a lot of research and have enough common sense to respect the spider and leave it alone. Ideas on if I should get it?

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yes Definately get it. Like You said You Have researched How to Look after them and You Can always get advice on here If You need it. Definately get it :)

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If you respect the animal and are aware of what it can do It's fine to start with. However you may want to consider those that share your household 1st (dogs and cats included) as an OBT bit can be medically significant, or even lethal to dogs and cats.

tarantula88

3 Year Member
its great that you want a tarantula.
maybe getting one thats a bit more on the docile side would be a better idea to start off thou?
there are heaps of different really cool species to choose from, but a obt as your first may not be the wisest choice. thats just my opinion.

TJB13

3 Year Member
Obt's are great. Mine was extremely fast during first transfer and setup. Since then it is a rare treat to see it. I love the colors and patters as well as their reasonably priced. Go for it.

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Heh, my unpacking of my wee OBTlets ended with me almost having a heart attack. I was placing their little tubes in the portion cups so they could come out on their own when one little booger ran out of the tube and up my arm and disappeared....I ended up stripping and praying to every deity imaginable that I didn't squish it or get bitten...I ended up finding it still on my hand. o_O

RubenGamez

3 Year Member
If you have done sufficient research and recognize both the animal's and your boundaries, getting it and keeping it should be no big deal. OBTs make awesome specimens in my opinion and remain on my wishlist. I'd say go for it. :D

KIM QUY

3 Year Member
Heh, my unpacking of my wee OBTlets ended with me almost having a heart attack. I was placing their little tubes in the portion cups so they could come out on their own when one little booger ran out of the tube and up my arm and disappeared....I ended up stripping and praying to every deity imaginable that I didn't squish it or get bitten...I ended up finding it still on my hand. o_O

I wore shoulder length thick rubber gloves (the kind used to operate a toxic base bath), used 12" tongs, wore googles, and extra layers of clothing when I unpacked mine. I don't think I wore that much stuff to work with my 1000 C oven...:rolleyes:
My wee OBTS scare me more than when I am working with high pressure, high temperature, explosive reactions.o_O Go figured!
I looked like I'm ready to go into a clean room for HF etching.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I wore shoulder length thick rubber gloves (the kind used to operate a toxic base bath), used 12" tongs, wore googles, and extra layers of clothing when I unpacked mine. I don't think I wore that much stuff to work with my 1000 C oven...:rolleyes:
My wee OBTS scare me more than when I am working with high pressure, high temperature, explosive reactions.o_O Go figured!
I looked like I'm ready to go into a clean room for HF etching.

conversely, when packing your slings I used my bare hands lol.

KIM QUY

3 Year Member
Idk, one of mine is already threatening me when I open the containers to feed them....
Hey DalilahBlue, I was just wondering...seeing your pet list...how is the G. pulchripes? I'm itching to get some calm slings after these OBTs. I heard G. Pulchripes grow very slowly and are very calm pets. I have a G. rosea now and he is great. So slow and calm, no hair flicking, no threat posture and eat like a champ.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hey DalilahBlue, I was just wondering...seeing your pet list...how is the G. pulchripes? I'm itching to get some calm slings after these OBTs. I heard G. Pulchripes grow very slowly and are very calm pets. I have a G. rosea now and he is great. So slow and calm, no hair flicking, no threat posture and eat like a champ.

They're essentially the same spider. Pulchripes tend to be easier/calmer though.

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just like Kenny said, except G. rosea is Bat **** Crazy with the mood swings and G. pulchripes is pretty chill. I have had it since it was about 1/2 in and it just molted into the 4 inch range. It has never even flicked a hair. It's a beautiful display spider.