• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Roach Discussion

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
From what I've read (and I just received 25+ medium dubais) they will survive in your home but aren't supposed to be invasive like "normal" roaches. I'm not sure i'm happy with the dubais, so far neither the GBB nor the Boehmei will eat them yet. Could be the GBB isn't hungry since he ate a large cricket 2 nights ago. And the Boehmei hasn't eaten since we've gotten him, so I guess we'll wait a couple days and try feeding them again.

The pinheads my tiny vagans eats are lateralis. They are like little race cars. They did laps around his enclosure until he got tired of it and ate them. I haven't seen any for sale other than pinheads, then again I haven't really looked. I'll have to note this down for the next food order.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I just ordered 150 laterallis, to start a runner colony. Plus 10 Halloween hissers, as pets :) The runner colony will feed my littler spiders and my Whipspiders, the dubia colony will be for my monsters. I have a feeling my roach colonies will swiftly become too large, and I'll end up being a roach seller...I never saw myself selling roaches, as a child..

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I see you can order the runners up to an inch plus in size, but they're also invasive and will take over you cupboards and have speed rally's on your kitchen floor in the middle of the night.

Are the larger sizes unable to climb plastic/glass also? That's the whole reason i went with the pinheads for the smaller sling. I'm thinking of ordering some of the larger (1/4 - 3/4") after my supply of Dubai runs out for the Boehmei and GBB, but my landlord would kill me if i had to call her to call an exterminator lol.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I see you can order the runners up to an inch plus in size, but they're also invasive and will take over you cupboards and have speed rally's on your kitchen floor in the middle of the night.

Are the larger sizes unable to climb plastic/glass also? That's the whole reason i went with the pinheads for the smaller sling. I'm thinking of ordering some of the larger (1/4 - 3/4") after my supply of Dubai runs out for the Boehmei and GBB, but my landlord would kill me if i had to call her to call an exterminator lol.
From what I've read, they're like dubia in that they can't climb smooth plastic or glass. Apparently they're also flightless, but the males can jump..im not sure how well yet. They seem to be replacing the Oriental Roach in southern US, because they breed prolifically. People are saying if you're careful they won't ever be a problem. I intend to be careful;)

DIscount Dubias

3 Year Member
Actually, dubias are a tropical breed of roaches and require temperatures in the 80s to breed, and will die off without enough moisture. For this reason, due to their climate Florida actually bans the import of them. If you were not breeding them they can be kept at room temperature. They are very house safe, and much better than the crickets that most people buy. As for cleaners, most reputable distributors use them and you almost always end up with a couple in your order. Even if you didn't though, like MassExodus said, the small dubias will help keep the colony somewhat cleaner.
If you are looking for more information on dubias you should check out my website at discountdubias.com.

firehawk0285

3 Year Member
You could try feeding them outside the enclosure where the roaches won't burrow. Best site I've found to purchase dubias, btw, is discountdubias.com

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You could try feeding them outside the enclosure where the roaches won't burrow. Best site I've found to purchase dubias, btw, is discountdubias.com
too much unneeded stress on the Ts to move them for feeding. Dubias are too much work to feed to my Ts, S. lateralis are much better, not to mention they're much more active and draw attention so they're better feeders in my opinion. Nice plug for the website ;)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The lateralis do indeed trigger hits like crazy. I still have no issues with dubia either though, they've been a great feeder the past few years.
They just burrow to quick and so far none of my Ts except the GBB will eat them. I have had the genic eat one but i had to tong feed him. The first attempt the dubia burrowed right under his feet and then played dead. i dug it out the next day and tong fed it.

Just easier for me to use the lateralis. I do need to look at roaches for the A. chalcodes i just ordered.

What's a good feeder for a 3" T? I'll be using large 3/4-1" lateralis until next payday when i can order something else.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
They just burrow to quick and so far none of my Ts except the GBB will eat them. I have had the genic eat one but i had to tong feed him. The first attempt the dubia burrowed right under his feet and then played dead. i dug it out the next day and tong fed it.

Just easier for me to use the lateralis. I do need to look at roaches for the A. chalcodes i just ordered.

What's a good feeder for a 3" T? I'll be using large 3/4-1" lateralis until next payday when i can order something else.
Actually the one inch lats are perfect. I really like the lateralis, I just don't want to use them unless I have to while the colony gets started. I have noticed they will run to any crack or crevice and hide, but they come out later and get eaten.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Actually the one inch lats are perfect. I really like the lateralis, I just don't want to use them unless I have to while the colony gets started. I have noticed they will run to any crack or crevice and hide, but they come out later and get eaten.
Great! I also ordered some 1.5-2" super worms to try. Have to see if the A. chalcodes will take one of those until my colony is started and i can feed off the large lats.

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
As some might know, I had one Dubia roach male left from a batch of feeders I over a year ago. There used to be a female, too, but she died last winter. In between I had been feeding Red Runners, too, and in one of the boxes I found a Lobster roach male. Because he looked so different I decided to keep him and put him in with my Dubia pair. Straight away he seemed to bond with the Dubia male and the female was kind of excluded from their little twosome.
Yesterday, I bought another batch of Dubai roaches (mainly because I'm fed up with the "Silent" crickets' chirping) and put them into the roach tub. This morning, instead of enjoying the new female company, I found my Dubia male huddled up with his Lobster friend.
I then googled if roaches recognize each other and form bonds. Turns out they do. It's too cute (those 2 will never be fed - until they die of natural causes):
http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/17839642

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
As some might know, I had one Dubia roach male left from a batch of feeders I over a year ago. There used to be a female, too, but she died last winter. In between I had been feeding Red Runners, too, and in one of the boxes I found a Lobster roach male. Because he looked so different I decided to keep him and put him in with my Dubia pair. Straight away he seemed to bond with the Dubia male and the female was kind of excluded from their little twosome.
Yesterday, I bought another batch of Dubai roaches (mainly because I'm fed up with the "Silent" crickets' chirping) and put them into the roach tub. This morning, instead of enjoying the new female company, I found my Dubia male huddled up with his Lobster friend.
I then googled if roaches recognize each other and form bonds. Turns out they do. It's too cute (those 2 will never be fed - until they die of natural causes):
http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/17839642
Lol..I have some halloween hissers living with my regular hissers. One of the females, my largest one, is always laying on top of the little halloween hissers, like she's sitting on eggs. The halloween hissers will leave her for a moment and then come right back and get underneath her..like she's shelter. Strangest thing I've ever seen. There's been no fighting or discord between the two species at all. I guess I'm going to start selling when they get over populated: I cant feed them off, I can't do it.

enclosures 045.jpg