• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Roach Discussion

Dixie Ann Mahaffie

3 Year Member
I am curious about the different roaches that people are feeding their Ts and how you feed them. I purchased a mix of 200 dubia and what I don't like about them is they burrow as soon as I drop them in the enclosure. I am not big on crushing their heads or mutilating them in any way. Also, my Ts are all spiderlings. They are big enough to eat the nymphs but it is difficult to hold nymphs with tweezers so that the T get it.

Years ago when I had Ts, I had Madagascar Hissing Roaches. I don't remember having any particular trouble with them, but then I had all adults.

I want a roach that doesn't smell, doesn't fly or climb and doesn't burrow. Maybe I am asking for too much?!?

Dixie Ann Mahaffie

3 Year Member
Yes, I believe so. Those are the Turkistan roach correct? I was reading about them last night. Now I have to get rid of all the dubia and buy some lateralis. Have any suggestion where to get them?

MatthewM1

3 Year Member
Yupp they are also called turkish roaches. I would still keep some dubias going for larger T's as yur little ones grow. I can sell you a starter colony once NY thaws out some more and temps are safer for shipping.

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Blatta lateralis is the answer to your prayers
Totally agree. I had a dubia colony for a few years then switched to B. lateralis. They don't climb,smell, burrow and run around like tiny race cars. Be warned they can breed to explosive proportions if not kept in check. I feed all my Ts 1 1/2" and larger with these. Even the G. rosea/porteri eat them. When I have too many, I trade for crickets at a local LPS. [emoji3]
Start a colony same as dubia with a 3:1 ratio, female to male, and use about 1-1 1/2" of sub in the bottom for egg laying. I also use empty paper towel/ toilet rolls for them.
Happy T'ing. [emoji4]

N8tive556

3 Year Member
Really the biggest cause I find with roach smell is substrate and over heating added with over feeding, I have a decent size colony of dubias I keep for my scorpions, and my gfs beardy. Peat moss and coco fiber are like a natural sponge for odor, especially when being stirred up by a couple hundred or thousands of scurrying little critter. I keep them in a bare box, no substrate with several slats of egg crates I'll feed only an Apple or some pieces of squash or carrots once a week sometimes two if I can't remember if I feed them or not... And always remember to take out any left overs, reduce the amount of rotting produce And the smell is almost non existent. This is what I do I'm sure results may very but it is a tried and true method for me another cause may be over crowding roaches will sweat if too many are kept in a small space, take it for however many grains of salt as you wish but this seems to work for me. keep in mind also your adult to baby ratio, baby's will eat adult waste for added nutrients the more babies the less waste, you feed off your babies no waste is consumed.

Last edited:

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Really the biggest cause I find with roach smell is substrate and over heating added with over feeding, I have a decent size colony of dubias I keep for my scorpions, and my gfs beardy. Peat moss and coco fiber are like a natural sponge for odor, especially when being stirred up by a couple hundred or thousands of scurrying little critter. I keep them in a bare box, no substrate with several slats of egg crates I'll feed only an Apple or some pieces of squash or carrots once a week sometimes two if I can't remember if I feed them or not... And always remember to take out any left overs, reduce the amount of rotting produce And the smell is almost non existent. This is what I do I'm sure results may very but it is a tried and true method for me another cause may be over crowding roaches will sweat if too many are kept in a small space, take it for however many grains of salt as you wish but this seems to work for me. keep in mind also your adult to baby ratio, baby's will eat adult waste for added nutrients the more babies the less waste, you feed off your babies no waste is consumed.
Agreed, 100% My colony doesn't smell at all..they're such a convenient feeder, I've never seen anyone be displeased with dubias. I do keep a thin layer of substrate, very thin, on one side though. I believe I've found a happy medium for the colony's growth rate, but they seem to be multiplying a little faster now. If I get too many I'll just sell some off though, no problemo. I think I'll look into B lateralis though, I'm curious about them now..but I'm sure I'll end up sticking with my dubias, no complaints here.

N8tive556

3 Year Member
Agreed, 100% My colony doesn't smell at all..they're such a convenient feeder, I've never seen anyone be displeased with dubias. I do keep a thin layer of substrate, very thin, on one side though. I believe I've found a happy medium for the colony's growth rate, but they seem to be multiplying a little faster now. If I get too many I'll just sell some off though, no problemo. I think I'll look into B lateralis though, I'm curious about them now..but I'm sure I'll end up sticking with my dubias, no complaints here.
I DO like the fact they aren't burrowers, however wouldn't you think that digging for food may be a somewhat enriching activity? Idk just kind of a random thought lol

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I just read up on the lateralis, when I saw them I recognized them from some videos. Cricket sized roaches would be handy to have, but I like having the big dubias for my bigger spiders, and you get cricket sized dubias all over your colont anyway as they grow. Yeah it might be enriching, true, but everything I've read says the natural habitat style of keeping roaches is a recipe for mites. I like the egg crate method, it seems very clean and easily maintained, and as you said, when you have a lot of nymphs, they do most of the clean up. Yeah, I'll stick with my dubias:)

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I just read up on the lateralis, when I saw them I recognized them from some videos. Cricket sized roaches would be handy to have, but I like having the big dubias for my bigger spiders, and you get cricket sized dubias all over your colont anyway as they grow. Yeah it might be enriching, true, but everything I've read says the natural habitat style of keeping roaches is a recipe for mites. I like the egg crate method, it seems very clean and easily maintained, and as you said, when you have a lot of nymphs, they do most of the clean up. Yeah, I'll stick with my dubias:)

What do you do with dubias so that they won't burrow? Will crushing the head still keeps them moving a little?

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
What do you do with dubias so that they won't burrow? Will crushing the head still keeps them moving a little?
I let them burrow. They'll come out later, or the spider will dig them up, which is always fun to watch. Our spiders can sense the little diggers when they burrow, and can actually pin point them when they're hungry. The only issue is when they get under a water dish, but that isn't really an issue..dubia don't eat on molting tarantulas like crickets do, so they're not harming anything being in there.

Lady Arachnid

3 Year Member
I'm hoping I chose correctly with the dubias. I wanted something that couldn't climb, easy to breed, and didn't stink like crickets! I ordered a lot of nymphs so I could have some feeders for my 3 small Avics right away. I also ordered some mixed smalls, mediums, larges, and 12 female and 4 male breeders. I have my heated bin set up and ready. Maintaining a temperature between 85° and 88°. I sure hope that's warm enough! I can't seem to get it much warmer. Now all I need is the dubias! They should be here Friday. I can't wait! :)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm hoping I chose correctly with the dubias. I wanted something that couldn't climb, easy to breed, and didn't stink like crickets! I ordered a lot of nymphs so I could have some feeders for my 3 small Avics right away. I also ordered some mixed smalls, mediums, larges, and 12 female and 4 male breeders. I have my heated bin set up and ready. Maintaining a temperature between 85° and 88°. I sure hope that's warm enough! I can't seem to get it much warmer. Now all I need is the dubias! They should be here Friday. I can't wait! :)
It's perfect, give them plenty of food and a water source, within 3 months you'll see a noticeable difference in your colony ;) After awhile, it will be hard to keep the population from exploding..

Lady Arachnid

3 Year Member
MassExodus, thank you for the affirmation and words of encouragement! It means a lot to me.
One thing I've just found out about is colony cleaners. Are they worth it? I didn't order any of those. :( As far as I understand, in my research, the breeding bin doesn't need cleaning all that often anyway. It should be left alone as much as possible except for feeding/watering the roaches. How much would I/the roaches benefit?
Also, how do you separate the dubias by size when it comes time to thin the colony and move them to another bin for feeding out of? Thanks again!

Fleas

3 Year Member
You could just leave them together and if it gets to much of a colony just place half of the egg cartons into an other bin and have two colony's one to keep and could sale the other. About the colony cleaner I don't think I heard about that Unless you talking about the Beatles that eat the deceased Roche's I forgot what Beatles they were I think they were super worms Beatles some keeper use those I don't think it necessary just checked when you feed them and ya its best to leave them alone as much as possible they do get stress might drop a egg sac, speaking of egg sac don't freak out when you see one coming out your female butt they do that to regulat the temp of the sac well best of luck on your new colony:)

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
What happens if these things get loose in your house.....seriously, will they breed and infest everything?
(just ordered some of these things, if they get loose you all have to bring hungry spiders to my house to round them up)

Last edited:

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
MassExodus, thank you for the affirmation and words of encouragement! It means a lot to me.
One thing I've just found out about is colony cleaners. Are they worth it? I didn't order any of those. :( As far as I understand, in my research, the breeding bin doesn't need cleaning all that often anyway. It should be left alone as much as possible except for feeding/watering the roaches. How much would I/the roaches benefit?
Also, how do you separate the dubias by size when it comes time to thin the colony and move them to another bin for feeding out of? Thanks again!
As far as cleaning, the nymphs will take care of it. The little ones will eat all the adult waste, plus whatever food you put in there. It wouldnt do any harm do just switch them into a new bin every 6 months, and change the egg crates. As far as separating them, there's a way of using buckets, and drilling small holes in one, medium holes in another, etc, and then just shaking the roaches through the appropriate holes..gently shaking them, of course. with a solid bucket underneath. I think there's a video on youtube about it, I've never done it though, I feed mine off and just pick them out of the colony during feeding. If they get over populated I'll eat a few as well. Lol, just kidding. Don't be afraid to handle them, they don't bite at all, and if it's your own roaches from your colony, you know exactly where they've been. @Kymura They say that dubia won't survive in our homes. I don't personally believe that, but anyway, they cannot climb smooth glass or plastic, like spiders or hissing roaches can. Many people leave the top open. I don't because they're in my room, and my dogs come in here. I keep a heating pad on my colony for breeding, and they say dubia need warmer temps to survive, but in a warm house..with a food source, or maybe a nice warm spot by a boiler or heater, yeah, they can survive just fine in our homes. I don't see them breeding, but if they stumbled into a boiler room, with a water leak, damp, warm air, and a bag of dog food in the corner, yeah it could happen, lmao. If it happens to you, don't call the exterminator, just catch them and send them to me :) Your house could be like a back up dubia colony for the forum members. Hahaha!

Latest posts