• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Oredhel

Hello everyone! I need some advide: Since the last molt my Grammostola pulchripes filled her hide with substrate and spend almost all day on the top of the enclosure. Is that normal? Should i let her be or do something about it? I don't want to annoy her, but i've seen her legs and fangs coming out from the ventilation holes and i don't want her to get hurt neither. Also noticed that she Is more defensive lately, i've just touched her leg with the tip of the brush (trying to get the leg back inside) and recieved something like a half threat posture.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
How big is she and how big is the enclosure? She may need more room.

Oredhel

How big is she and how big is the enclosure? She may need more room.
IMG_20230324_094523231.jpg

Isn't a good pic but you can compare both sizes. The enclosure Is like 7 cm x 7 cm. I've already bought a bigger enclosure (20 cm x 12 cm) but i think she is still small for that one. Not so much for the size of the T but i think she might squeeze into the ventilation holes of the bigger one. I was planning to wait for another molt or two for the rehouse.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Your T looks like it could stretch itself and reach from one side to another from what I see. I would think that the ventilation holes of the new enclosure would have to be very big for your T to slip through. Maybe I am not seeing something.

Jeef

3 Year Member
My G. pulchra did that. No worries at all. I even tried unblocking the hole for her hide so she could go back in, and she just plugged it back up again.

I'm finding I have about a 50-50 shot with my Aphonopelmas with this as well. They either fill in the entrance to their hides and stay permanently out, or they burry themselves for about 4 months. I don't let any of it bother me.

Oredhel

Your T looks like it could stretch itself and reach from one side to another from what I see. I would think that the ventilation holes of the new enclosure would have to be very big for your T to slip through. Maybe I am not seeing something.
I'm not really sure, i don't have any experience with bigger tarantulas or enclosures (im starting with three slings but thats it). Also i'm not sure if she needs a rehouse or not.
UPDATE: Now she put the substrate outside her hide again, and she isn't going in but seems to be more relaxed.
My camera sucks but im trying to show you the sizes. First a vídeo from the last feeding while shes eating inside her current enclosure and some pics of the bigger one. It seems pretty big holes to me, but, again, i have no experience and its like a very common enclosure for what i've seen from another keepers. I'm just not sure when i have to moove her there.

IMG_20230328_104405815.jpg
IMG_20230328_102444274.jpg
IMG_20230328_102414348.jpg

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
A general rule for terrestrial housing is to have the length of the enclosure about 2-3 times the diagonal length of the spider’s legs from front to back. The new one should be fine, maybe a bit big.

I just purchased a few enclosures like the new one you show. The plastic is a little thinner than the acrylic enclosures I am used to so I may try one out with substrate to see how it works. I personally am a little concerned about them being too flexible. One arrived broken.

I have not seen my T’s try to widen an air hole to try to get out, but they may have when I was not looking. But again this was rigid acrylic.

Is the new one is the same thickness as the old one?

Oredhel

A general rule for terrestrial housing is to have the length of the enclosure about 2-3 times the diagonal length of the spider’s legs from front to back. The new one should be fine, maybe a bit big.

I just purchased a few enclosures like the new one you show. The plastic is a little thinner than the acrylic enclosures I am used to so I may try one out with substrate to see how it works. I personally am a little concerned about them being too flexible. One arrived broken.

I have not seen my T’s try to widen an air hole to try to get out, but they may have when I was not looking. But again this was rigid acrylic.

Is the new one is the same thickness as the old one?
Pretty much same thickness, maybe the smaller one looks a little bit thicker but i think it could be because it is smaller. It looks like the same plastic.
I guess i'll try to find something to use as a temporary enclosure a little bigger. Rn this one looks like 1 1/2 times the size of the T or something like that. I also have a t albo that may need the same rehouse, they are almost the same size but since the albo made burrows everywhere it looks like she fits better into the small enclosure.
This grammostola pulchripes is pretty active and she is moving the substrate and exploring all the time, idk if she was trying to get out when i saw her fangs and legs going out from the holes, but since the holes of the bigger enclosure are almost same size with the abdomen of the T (little bit smaller but not much) i'm concern that she might succed if she tries.
Thanks for the answers! =)