1. Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pamphobeteus species

Discussion in 'Pamphobeteus' started by Casey K., May 2, 2017.

1. kormath

kormath Well-Known Member 1,000+ Post Club

Couldn't agree more.
    Casey K. likes this.
  2. WolfSpider

WolfSpider Well-Known Member

Pamphobeteus sp. sure are beautiful. One question though: Why are they so expensive?
  3. Metalman2004

Metalman2004 Active Member

Because they're beautiful :)
    WolfSpider likes this.
  4. Doc Miller

Doc Miller Well-Known Member 3 Year Member

I don't know Id say they're so expensive. Depends on the species. Some like P platty's are in the $35- $50 range . P nigro and others are in the $50 - $100. P petersi and others in the $100 - $150 and then there's P ultramarinus & P solaris at the high end. But still plenty of mid range species to collect. Rarity and what someone will pay is what sets price more so than always what it looks like.
    IamKrush and MassExodus like this.
  5. MassExodus

MassExodus Well-Known Member 1,000+ Post Club

Still waiting on ultramarinus to come down a bit :mad:.
  6. Metalman2004

I'd love to attempt to breed these but here in Texas I don't thimk i could afford the AC bill to keep them cool enough to produce...
    MassExodus likes this.
  7. WolfSpider

WolfSpider Well-Known Member

Quite handsome. Are you going to breed him? (Doc: I know you do great work for this family of Ts)
  8. MassExodus

MassExodus Well-Known Member 1,000+ Post Club

I'm not familiar with your living arrangements, but if you have a small room with a window, just get a cheap window unit that has an energy saver mode. Voila! Where there's a will there's a way. Personally I've gotten tired of keeping my bedroom/ t room at 75, so i keep it at 70 constantly. All my spiders are doing well, even the slings ;) And I sleep much better..
    Edit: iit does seem to slow their metabolism down, slightly. They dont eat as much anymore so I've had to adjust my feeding. I don't mind the slings growing slower, I like having a few babys in the mix.
    WolfSpider and IamKrush like this.
  9. Metalman2004

Interesting idea. I've contemplated ways to cool a cabinet or something but I haven't found the energy to put such a project together yet. Plus in addition to my kitchen refrigerator/ freezer I have a deep freezer, a fridge that I turned into a fermentation chamber for homebrew and a wine and beer aging fridge. I'm not sure I'm ready to add another large cooling appliance...

That being said, if someone has pulled off a temp controlled cabinet of some kind, please do share with me!
    MassExodus likes this.
  10. Doc Miller

Doc Miller Well-Known Member 3 Year Member

I live in central FL my T's are kept between 75 to 80. I have bred several species including phampho's with no issues to warrant a cooling system
    MassExodus, WolfSpider and IamKrush like this.
  11. Metalman2004

I am certainly no authority on any of this. There isn't much out there to read on ultramarinus, but what I did manage to find said that these guys in particular need it around 70 to produce a sac.

That information could be wrong, but I'd rather not spend $600 trying to find out. If I had concrete evidence otherwise I would certainly think about it though. :)