• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Other Hobbies

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Birding is cool. Do you count it if you're just hearing the bird or do you have to lay eyes on them?

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hunting, fishing, camping, and four wheeling are a few of the other things I like to do when I'm not feeding 100s of spiders.
20180107_192020.jpg
FB_IMG_1640203111610.jpg
FB_IMG_1640203141369.jpg
IMG_07191.jpg
imagejpeg_0(1).jpg
imagejpeg_0.jpg
20211121_095518.jpg
20201215_200357.jpg
20181118_073817.jpg
20181118_073811.jpg

Vermis

Tarantula Club Member
Just a few bottles. :D

I like going to into a local forest every so often and see how close the fallow deer and red squirrels come before they think "Ack, it's a guy!" and run away.
I have a couple of squirrel feeders up too. I'm part of a local volunteer red squirrel conservation group, monitoring reds and greys in our own luttle patches.

(I'll hasten to add the 'forests' here are mostly forestry plantations full of spruce, with some pine and broadleafs. They are to Arachnoclown's photos as a shi-tzu is to a wolf.)

I enjoy films and an occasional piece of nerdy media.

I enjoy art and I've had a go with most media, with varying results. I especially like drawing and sketching with pencil, pen and ink, and digital. I can eke out an acrylic painting given enough time, watercolour given enough sedatives, and I've a bunch of oil painting supplies that I really should crack open sometime. I have a little experience with clay and modelling putty.
One of my favourite subjects is animals, and I like to try to sketch them from life when I have the opportunity: horses in a nearby field, agricultural shows, zoos, local forestry plantations... I started taking my own reference photos and that's given me a shoe in the door with photography, too. I still have a lot to learn about that. Like how much I actually need that long f2.8 Leica lens with a longer price tag.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I am a radio amateur, my callsign being M0LSX. I was introduced to the hobby whilst at Tec Collage in 1975. But took a detour before gaining my licence. I spent the late 70's & early 80's involved in land based pirate radio.

My other hobby is magic. My main area of interest being something called Mentalism. Magic of the mind.

AndyBunn

I've got a ton of interests. Apart from keeping Tarantulas I have a ton of Phadmids, some millipedes and a leopard gecko. I love natural history and I've been rewilding my garden for some years now.

I love comics and reading all kinds of books especially science fiction . I like hiking and climbing and riding my bike.
I also like playing board and video games.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Besides raising tarantulas (I’m out of the hobby for now) I am a paranormal enthusiast. I like going to public event’s at reportedly haunted locations, the only drawback is the more people at the event, the greater chance of contamination of evidence that isn’t paranormal and while it’s only a theory, but I find things are less likely to happen with a bunch of people present.

I also play multiple instruments (guitar, accordion, drums). I did play alto saxophone in middle school.

I am a nerd.

I also practice martial arts, sport taekwondo and wing chun being my specialties.

Steph1304

I've got quite a few overlaps with some of you. I've ridden bikes since I was 17 and share a garage full of them with my hubby. My favourite of my own bikes is a 1990 Yamaha FZR1000 Exup.

I've kept fish for many years although over time I cut my 13 tanks down to 1 (and a pond outside). I worked as a falconer bc (before children) and still love sitting in the garden watching the buzzards fly overhead, we have a resident sparrowhawk in the area too.

I play the harp (badly nowadays as I rarely have time to practice) and I still have the same harp I've owned since I was 6 (I'm now 52). Cooking, crafting, diy I enjoy all of them. I also love academic research, but I'm in the middle of a clinical psychology doctorate, so sometimes it is for work rather than pleasure.

As for animals and creatures in general I'm fascinated by them. My garden is a mess, but that's because I go out to do some gardening and instead get completely distracted by the insects and arachnids in the garden. I also take part in the Great British Bee Count every year

I honestly have a bunch of hobbies, my mom used to joke that my hobby was collecting new interests. The only ones I ever really do anything with anymore though are tarantulas, my houseplants (mostly succulents), and collecting tabletop gaming books. I'd like to eventually be able to play with people but life and the world have kind of gotten in the way of that, so atm I just have way too many books lol.