• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Odd dark spot on sling's carapace

remington

When I first got this B albiceps sling, it had this dark spot on its carapace. I assumed it was just a speck of dirt, so I didn't think much of it. A month and a half later, it is still there, and upon inspecting it more closely it does not look like dirt. Anybody know what this is or what could cause it? I should also mention, this sling has never eaten in my care and appears to be getting thinner, but I have heard that is not unusual with this species? Any help would be greatly appreciated. The sling behaves pretty normally despite not eating.

PS> I keep the sling in a 50 dram vial with top ventilation on ample mostly dry substrate, include moss and a water dish

Attachments

• IMG_6720.jpg
    IMG_6720.jpg
    728.4 KB · Views: 18

Bugzrule

3 Year Member
I'm not exactly sure what the dark spot is, its probably nothing but keep an eye it. As for feeding, with tiny slings you sometimes have to use pre-killed prey. Try cutting a mealworm in half, and put the back half (so the worm doesn't run away) in the enclosure and wait a day or two. I had to do this for my B.smithi sling at first, but after a molt it started taking live prey. If the prey isn't eaten within 48 hours, remove it. Its also completely possible that the T is in premolt, so try not to bother it to much. Good luck!

MBullock

3 Year Member
Get some hydei fruitflies if you can, those are great. they move slowly, generally hang out around the ground and they're alot smaller than melanogaster. For slings that are skittish these are great, the slow movement tells the sling it's much easier prey.

timc

3 Year Member
Not much than can be done except to see if it’s gone after it molts. If the tarantula isn’t eating just make sure it has access to water and keep trying every week or so. My albiceps is the pickiest eater I’ve kept, they’ll definitely try your patience.

Latest posts