• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

NW tarantulas w/o urticating hairs

meridannight

I haven't kept many NW tarantulas, so I'm not very familiar with them. Since I'm more afraid of the urticating hairs than anything else on tarantulas, I mostly stay away from species that have those things. I have learned that not all the NW species have the urticating hairs, so I'm considering getting a couple of NW tarantulas and I would like confirmation that these species do NOT have the urticating setae. I have seen conflicting information on different sources.

So the species I am inquiring about are:
Psalmopoeus cambridgei;
Psalmopoeus pulcher;
Psalmopoeus irminia;
Neoholothele incei (for this one especially, I have come across contradicting information in this regard).

You're free to add other NW species without the urticating hairs, if you know any.

Thanks.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Correct me if I’m wrong, but if I am not mistaken Dolichothele diamantinensis (not sure if I spelled it correctly) do not have urticating hair (setae).

ryanm7277

ActuallyDolichothele diamantinensisdo have urticating hairs. Also I have being eyeing all the psalmopeus species cause I really want a sun tiger, but two things to be aware of and granted you only have old worlds, but they are teleported and supposedly loads of keepers on YouTube claim they worse then Pokies, cause pokies will runaway and hide. Not psalmopeus, again you only have old worlds but just thought I’d share the warning label. I’m still gonna get a sun tiger at some point!!!!

Tarantulafeets

Some genus that don't have u-hairs:
Dolichothele
Psalmopoeus
Neoholothele
Euthycaelus
Tapinauchenius
Pseudoclamoris
Holothele
These are all rather flighty and fast.

Avicularinae have them but they rub them on you rather than flick.

meridannight

ActuallyDolichothele diamantinensisdo have urticating hairs. Also I have being eyeing all the psalmopeus species cause I really want a sun tiger, but two things to be aware of and granted you only have old worlds, but they are teleported and supposedly loads of keepers on YouTube claim they worse then Pokies, cause pokies will runaway and hide. Not psalmopeus, again you only have old worlds but just thought I’d share the warning label. I’m still gonna get a sun tiger at some point!!!!

I have heard keepers claim Psalmopoeus being more challenging than old-world arboreals, that's true. It's certainly something to keep myself aware of. Thanks for the reminder.

meridannight

Here he is:
IMG_20220831_211250.jpg

He's settled in some in his new home. Didn't give me any problems unpacking at all. But he's fast. My fastest spiderling I've had, I'd say. My old-worlds haven't put up such speed when tiny.
Psalmopoeus irminia, a little over 0.5''.

x_raphael_xx

3 Year Member
I have heard keepers claim Psalmopoeus being more challenging than old-world arboreals, that's true. It's certainly something to keep myself aware of. Thanks for the reminder.
Mine hasn't given me any trouble, she runs and hides when I open the enclosure.
She was good when I rehomed her. (She stayed in her corkbark tube, so I was just able to transfer it to the new enclosure)
I'm always cautious with all my T's, so maybe I was just lucky.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I use to be able to feed and water her without any issues. She was very laid back. However She's very territorial now with age. Psalmopoeus irminia female.
20220601_160328.gif

My Psalmopoeus cambridgei is the same way. Now she's full grown she's very confrontational and doesn't backdown or run and hide.
20190216_164516.jpg

All spiders have different attitudes. Not all Psalmopoeus I've owned act like this. Just wanted to share that if it has fangs it may or may not want to show them. Always use caution, you don't want to get bitten by one of these beauties.

meridannight

All spiders have different attitudes. Not all Psalmopoeus I've owned act like this. Just wanted to share that if it has fangs it may or may not want to show them. Always use caution, you don't want to get bitten by one of these beauties.

Oh, I wholly agree. Can't let your guard down around these guys ever.

Mine seems full of energy and spunk too. Feisty little thing. No way am I taking any chances with him.

x_raphael_xx

3 Year Member
I always try to be vigilant. I like to assume and prepare for the worst!